27 or 29 spline on 96 Cherokee

awinterstale

I have a 96 XJ, manufactured 4/96 that has the Chrysler 8.25. Is there any way to tell if the rear axle is 27 or 29 spline without pulling the axle?

I've read that manufactured 5/96 and later was the 27 spline and earlier manufactured like mine are the 29 spline?

EZ-E

I have a 96 XJ, manufactured 4/96 that has the Chrysler 8.25. Is there any way to tell if the rear axle is 27 or 29 spline without pulling the axle?

I've read that manufactured 5/96 and later was the 27 spline and earlier manufactured like mine are the 29 spline?

I'm not sure where you read that, but my 98 had a 29-spl 8.25. As for telling, I dunno except to pull the axleshaft and count the splines.

UtahJK

If it has the newer body, (97-01) it has the 29 spline shafts. The older body from 96 down has the 27 spline shafts.

Ironwagon

Ok, so the thread is a little old but I've got to straighten out some info here. Around 5/96 was when the 27 to 29 spline change came about. My 96 was built in September and has the 29 spline axles. Either way, it's best to pull the shaft and count 'em to be 100% positive.

Mucksavage

Count the splines

I also have a '96. I never guessed that a "late 96" could have 29 splines until I had the rear diff drained , axles pulled, carrier out & locker installed in the carrier. Went to put it back together & "uh-oh.....something's wrong"
My locker was for 27 spline & I had 29 spline axles! Duh!

Top Bottom