Thread: gear oil change

gear oil change

My 2014 jeep jku has 13,000 miles on it so I decided it was time to change the gear oil. I do moderate off roading nothing to crazy till I get my build to the point I want it. But the oil came out pretty dark and the magnet on the drain plug had a surprising amount of sludge and metal shavings on it. There was no big chunks of metal, but should I be concerned since it only has 13,000 miles. I changed the front to mobil 1 75w90 and the rear to Mobil 1 75w140

Knows a Thing or Two tastethebeast's Avatar
    Do you have a pic of it? Mine had shavings but no big chunks. Shavings are normal especially when you are using it off-road.

Knows a Thing or Two Spudcannons's Avatar
    New gears make shavings during break in which is why most gear manufactures say to change the oil out after the first 400 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudcannons View Post
    New gears make shavings during break in which is why most gear manufactures say to change the oil out after the first 400 miles.
    Wow I didn't know that. I changed my gears about 5K miles ago and I haven't changed the fluid...I should probably do that soon. Do you think that may have caused any problems?

Should you change the gear oil around that mileage with a new jeep off the lot? If so I'm long overdue

Knows a Thing or Two Spudcannons's Avatar
    I do not know if the factory breaks them in but almost every aftermarket gear supplier I've seem says to do it in the first 400 or so

Quote Originally Posted by tastethebeast View Post
    Do you have a pic of it? Mine had shavings but no big chunks. Shavings are normal especially when you are using it off-road.
    I didn't think of taking a pic, but I think I'm going to change the oil again in 5k miles but open the diff cover to see if anything is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudcannons View Post
    I do not know if the factory breaks them in but almost every aftermarket gear supplier I've seem says to do it in the first 400 or so
    I plan on changing the gears to 5.13 when I do my lift. I didn't know they recommended that. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerk93 View Post
    My 2014 jeep jku has 13,000 miles on it so I decided it was time to change the gear oil. I do moderate off roading nothing to crazy till I get my build to the point I want it. But the oil came out pretty dark and the magnet on the drain plug had a surprising amount of sludge and metal shavings on it. There was no big chunks of metal, but should I be concerned since it only has 13,000 miles. I changed the front to mobil 1 75w90 and the rear to Mobil 1 75w140
    Do you have a rear LSD?

Quote Originally Posted by Peak View Post
    Wow I didn't know that. I changed my gears about 5K miles ago and I haven't changed the fluid...I should probably do that soon. Do you think that may have caused any problems?
    I was around 700 miles over and Drew at ORE just shrugged and said no big deal. Not sure with 5k miles over due though.