gear oil change

rogerk93

My 2014 jeep jku has 13,000 miles on it so I decided it was time to change the gear oil. I do moderate off roading nothing to crazy till I get my build to the point I want it. But the oil came out pretty dark and the magnet on the drain plug had a surprising amount of sludge and metal shavings on it. There was no big chunks of metal, but should I be concerned since it only has 13,000 miles. I changed the front to mobil 1 75w90 and the rear to Mobil 1 75w140

Do you have a pic of it? Mine had shavings but no big chunks. Shavings are normal especially when you are using it off-road.

Spudcannons

New gears make shavings during break in which is why most gear manufactures say to change the oil out after the first 400 miles.

Peak

New gears make shavings during break in which is why most gear manufactures say to change the oil out after the first 400 miles.

Wow I didn't know that. I changed my gears about 5K miles ago and I haven't changed the fluid...I should probably do that soon. Do you think that may have caused any problems?

JRied

Should you change the gear oil around that mileage with a new jeep off the lot? If so I'm long overdue

Spudcannons

I do not know if the factory breaks them in but almost every aftermarket gear supplier I've seem says to do it in the first 400 or so

rogerk93

Do you have a pic of it? Mine had shavings but no big chunks. Shavings are normal especially when you are using it off-road.

I didn't think of taking a pic, but I think I'm going to change the oil again in 5k miles but open the diff cover to see if anything is wrong.

rogerk93

I do not know if the factory breaks them in but almost every aftermarket gear supplier I've seem says to do it in the first 400 or so

I plan on changing the gears to 5.13 when I do my lift. I didn't know they recommended that. Thanks for the heads up.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
My 2014 jeep jku has 13,000 miles on it so I decided it was time to change the gear oil. I do moderate off roading nothing to crazy till I get my build to the point I want it. But the oil came out pretty dark and the magnet on the drain plug had a surprising amount of sludge and metal shavings on it. There was no big chunks of metal, but should I be concerned since it only has 13,000 miles. I changed the front to mobil 1 75w90 and the rear to Mobil 1 75w140

Do you have a rear LSD?

DMF

Wow I didn't know that. I changed my gears about 5K miles ago and I haven't changed the fluid...I should probably do that soon. Do you think that may have caused any problems?

I was around 700 miles over and Drew at ORE just shrugged and said no big deal. Not sure with 5k miles over due though.

Top Bottom