Jeep jerks when turning

sassmouth

Does anyone have an idea why I would feel a jerking motion (not unlike turning when in 4 wheel drive) when turning while in 2 wheel drive? This condition just showed itself today.

Could it possibly be the front u-joints being at issue? Thanks in advance.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Does anyone have an idea why I would feel a jerking motion (not unlike turning when in 4 wheel drive) when turning while in 2 wheel drive? This condition just showed itself today.

Could it possibly be the front u-joints being at issue? Thanks in advance.

Are you sure you are in 2WD? Is it possible you're stuck in 4WD?

If it checks out that you are in 2WD, I'd take a close look at u-joints.

sassmouth

Are you sure you are in 2WD? Is it possible you're stuck in 4WD?

If it checks out that you are in 2WD, I'd take a close look at u-joints.

Yes it is in 2WD as far as I can tell. I can shift easily between 2WD to 4HI to 4LO with no noticeable issues. I will check the joints then.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Just to throw it out there, there is a busing on the transfer case linkage that is know for failure. If the busing breaks, it leave the transfer case in the last position. For example, you may have been in 4wd, and moved the lever to 2wd and the bushing gave out. So the lever is in 2WD, but the T-Case is still in 4WD.

Maybe jack up the whole Jeep, put it in drive and see how many wheels are turning! :)

sassmouth

Just to throw it out there, there is a busing on the transfer case linkage that is know for failure. If the busing breaks, it leave the transfer case in the last position. For example, you may have been in 4wd, and moved the lever to 2wd and the bushing gave out. So the lever is in 2WD, but the T-Case is still in 4WD.

Maybe jack up the whole Jeep, put it in drive and see how many wheels are turning! :)

Its interesting that you mention that. I just got done working the on transfer case. The front half cracked so I had to replace it. I did have the transfer case removed and everything taken apart. I do know of that bushing you mention. I did manually work the shifting on the case to be sure it operated correctly before I buttoned things up. It seems to me if the lever moves then the shift sector would have to move. The lever is directly connected to the shift sector. I am not sure how that bushing could fail or bind up the movement of the shift sector. In order to stay in 4lo or 4hi wouldn't the lever have to move independently from the shift sector?

I will jack up the jeep and see if it is indeed stuck in 4wd drive.

Zstairlessone

Its interesting that you mention that. I just got done working the on transfer case. The front half cracked so I had to replace it. I did have the transfer case removed and everything taken apart. I do know of that bushing you mention. I did manually work the shifting on the case to be sure it operated correctly before I buttoned things up. It seems to me if the lever moves then the shift sector would have to move. The lever is directly connected to the shift sector. I am not sure how that bushing could fail or bind up the movement of the shift sector. In order to stay in 4lo or 4hi wouldn't the lever have to move independently from the shift sector? I will jack up the jeep and see if it is indeed stuck in 4wd drive.
there is a bushing in the center under the console and one under the jeep kind of above the case (two total)

Edit - they keep the cable in place so the lever actuates the case

sassmouth

Well I am at a loss. I am definitely cannot get into 2wd. I can shift into 4hi, neutral, and 4lo with no issues. Both cable bushings (at the shifter and at the transfer case lever) are OK. I dont know what else could be preventing moving into 2wd. Maybe something is up at the shift sector within the case.

seanb123

Well I am at a loss. I am definitely cannot get into 2wd. I can shift into 4hi, neutral, and 4lo with no issues. Both cable bushings (at the shifter and at the transfer case lever) are OK. I dont know what else could be preventing moving into 2wd. Maybe something is up at the shift sector within the case.

Sometimes I have a hard time getting in and out of 4lo try driving it around 2mph see if that helps

Top Bottom