Step by step guide to replacing a transfer case

mastrcruse

I've been searching the Internet, Google/yahoo and a bunch of forums and can't find a guide on how to replace the transfer case. I saw Eddies fluid change DIY but I need to replace the entire transfer case.

Even if it's easy, anyone know of a guide/step by step thread on how to replace it? Maybe it's VERY straight forward which is why I can't find it. Just wanna know if I need any special tools before I jump in

Thanks!

Heholua

I've been searching the Internet, Google/yahoo and a bunch of forums and can't find a guide on how to replace the transfer case. I saw Eddies fluid change DIY but I need to replace the entire transfer case.

Even if it's easy, anyone know of a guide/step by step thread on how to replace it? Maybe it's VERY straight forward which is why I can't find it. Just wanna know if I need any special tools before I jump in

Thanks!

Pardon my language, but it's a bitch unless you have some very cool tools. Most of the bolts are straight forward and easily accessible, the bolts on the top are not. I am fortunate enough to have a very good friend who is a mechanic and owns his own shop who has a bitchin set of tools.

mastrcruse

Pardon my language, but it's a bitch unless you have some very cool tools. Most of the bolts are straight forward and easily accessible, the bolts on the top are not. I am fortunate enough to have a very good friend who is a mechanic and owns his own shop who has a bitchin set of tools.

Are the bolts different or just hard to access? Did y'all use a ton of extensions to get to em'? Thanks for the help

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Are the bolts different or just hard to access? Did y'all use a ton of extensions to get to em'? Thanks for the help

They're just hard to access. Ridg3runner on this forum suggested an old school distributer wrench in another thread. Do a google search for it. I think this style wrench would make getting to the top bolts easier. I've done this swap myself and it's very straightforward which is probably why there's no write up. The case is quite heavy. A floor jack helps a lot.

Heholua

They're just hard to access. Ridg3runner on this forum suggested an old school distributer wrench in another thread. Do a google search for it. I think this style wrench would make getting to the top bolts easier. I've done this swap myself and it's very straightforward which is probably why there's no write up. The case is quite heavy. A floor jack helps a lot.

Exactly this ^^^^^ I think I used some half moon wrenches and a custom cut in half stubby wrench.

mastrcruse

Picked up the transfer case. Other things I got are a traildash and the Rock slide engineering transfer case brace.

Although out of a very low mile rubicon, should I change the fluid?

Also, it it easiest to check the fluid in our out of the jeep? <--probably a dumb question.

doooodo

Where did you find the Rubi TC? I've been scouring the forums and just haven't had any luck yet, so any tips would be much appreciated.

mastrcruse

Where did you find the Rubi TC? I've been scouring the forums and just haven't had any luck yet, so any tips would be much appreciated.

There always seems to be one for sale but it was either for the wrong years, manual, to much money, to many miles, or wouldn't ship. It's hard to find the right one. My criteria was under 15k miles, less than $1200, from a '14 or '15 and I've kept my eyes open for nearly 6 months.

This one was like a unicorn. Out of an auto '15, priced very fair, and the rubi only had 50 miles on it. I can ask if he's got anymore and let you know.

Rccrwlr

There always seems to be one for sale but it was either for the wrong years, manual, to much money, to many miles, or wouldn't ship. It's hard to find the right one. My criteria was under 15k miles, less than $1200, from a '14 or '15 and I've kept my eyes open for nearly 6 months.

This one was like a unicorn. Out of an auto '15, priced very fair, and the rubi only had 50 miles on it. I can ask if he's got anymore and let you know.

There's the problem tracking them down, he had to find the mythical magical horse first!!

doooodo

Nice - yea, if you hear of any out of a manual, let me know.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Consider this. I wish I had when I was doing the swap.
If you have access to a lift, use it.
It is not hard, but as others have mentioned those top 2 bolts are rough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-JK-transfer-case-bushings-/151706850017?vxp=mtr

Picked up the transfer case. Other things I got are a traildash and the Rock slide engineering transfer case brace.

Although out of a very low mile rubicon, should I change the fluid?

Also, it it easiest to check the fluid in our out of the jeep? <--probably a dumb question.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Not a dealership thing they will sell you the plastic clips. I have seen people go to their local hard ware store and source them but I don't know the parts off hand.
Also at one time, I believe Advance Adapters offered a full replacement of the cable shift linkage.

I had both the clip at the t case and the handle snap on one of our "work" JK's. It was a bugger (not tough just time consuming and a PITA) to replace.
Also helped out (managed HA!) GCM's on the JKX 2011. :)

Can I get these at the dealership or are these an enhancement to do while performing the swap?

mastrcruse

Not a dealership thing they will sell you the plastic clips. I have seen people go to their local hard ware store and source them but I don't know the parts off hand.
Also at one time, I believe Advance Adapters offered a full replacement of the cable shift linkage.

I had both the clip at the t case and the handle snap on one of our "work" JK's. It was a bugger (not tough just time consuming and a PITA) to replace.
Also helped out (managed HA!) GCM's on the JKX 2011. :)

Just got em'. Thanks for the suggestion.

mastrcruse

Got the t case bracket on and it's ready to go in.

A few questions...

Even if it came from a 50 mile rubicon, should I change the fluid for the piece of mind that it's "new" fluid?

The PO put a zip tie on one of the drive shaft connections. Is there aren't particular way that the driver shafts need to be aligned or can I just remove mine and strap this thing in?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 127

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You can change the fluid if you want but out of a 50 mile rubicon not necessary. Hell some have that many miles bought new from dealership.

As for the zip tie, just install your driveshaft so the bolt holes line up. If you want to make sure it's close to same as yours was before you should be able to see where the lips on the flange were on your driveshaft. The factory flange shouldn't cause an imbalance issue being as how it is designed.

jeeeep

Hooked
make sure the fluid looks good and is topped off.

Personally, I'm OCD and would replace the fluid.

mastrcruse

make sure the fluid looks good and is topped off.

Personally, I'm OCD and would replace the fluid.

Honestly thinking I should just replace it. Helps to see Eddies write up. I know it's not related but know Jeep switched coolant in the newer ones....is the t case fluid still the ATF4 that Eddie uses in his video?

Top Bottom