Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Project "Thanos" Build

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    So you can bomb through all those deserts in PA?
    Well, contrary to what a lot of folks that live in PA think, we are allowed to leave and explore other areas!

So you can bomb through all those deserts in PA?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    It's for bombing through the parking lot where the Steelers play, which is now a desert...

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Well, contrary to what a lot of folks that live in PA think, we are allowed to leave and explore other areas!
    Give Moab another try.

MOAB March 30-April 6 2019
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=55165

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    It's for bombing through the parking lot where the Steelers play, which is now a desert...

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    Ha! Very true. Ironically I have to go there again today.
    You guys looking for another problem receiver to take off of our hands?

hf.jpg

Give Moab another try.

MOAB March 30-April 6 2019
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=55165]
    Believe me, that run was on my radar! Got a weddin to pay for this year tho so that put a damper on my travel plans

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Can't speak for the OP but in the last 10+ years, I've personally known a host of guys who've tried to do this. NONE kept it that way more than a couple of trips with us at most. You might be able to get away with it if all you ever do is rock crawl but if you use your coilovers like they're intended to be used - to go fast and hard across the desert, you'll get your ass handed to you.
    there's just not a lot of offroad go fast here in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrendel View Post
    that shaved 14 bolt. sick.
    Thanks buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    So much badass - really great looking rig.

Your suspension setup is intriguing: Coilovers in the front only. I've contemplated doing the same thing honestly. When you installed the coilovers in the front, how much of a difference did you notice over the standard coils?
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Can't speak for the OP but in the last 10+ years, I've personally known a host of guys who've tried to do this. NONE kept it that way more than a couple of trips with us at most. You might be able to get away with it if all you ever do is rock crawl but if you use your coilovers like they're intended to be used - to go fast and hard across the desert, you'll get your ass handed to you.
    In my personal case there are several factors, mostly related to the history of the build and the fact that I didn't have the $ up front to jump to end state right away. The suspension began life with 4" plush ride springs and 11" bilsteins on all 4 corners when I did the Double-D long arm.

The front was upgraded to C/Os piece-meal because I knew I would eventually be doing double-triangulation to the rear in some form-or-fashion but didn't know which setup I would go with and thus what coilover length to run with ahead of time. The rear is literally the next phase in the build (See Phase 6 in the first post) which is where they will be introduced. The 14" Fox 2.0s and 6" Synergy spring "upgrades" were a cheap "at cost" deal I have with one of the mechanics here that will be buying the setup off me when we do the rear. The 11" travel on the bilsteins was just a painfully obvious limitation coming down off severe off-camber ledges that I wanted to address sooner and the opportunity presented itself while we were doing the 'tons.

For rock crawling, this setup works fine. What Eddie is selling somewhat short (no disrespect) is that for "mild bombing" through your typical Texas wheeling trails and park roads (speeds of about 30-35mph max) from experience this setup does make going over that terrain 100x a lot more comfortable than the typical covered-wagon feel I had before on the same trails with the old setup. I almost wanted to give-a-little and say I don't typically ride with rear passengers so their experience may be different but the truth is, just a couple weekends ago on the Polar Bear run I actually did have a rear passenger who rode with me into camp while we were hauling ass through the roads later in the day. Prior, he had been riding in another buddy's JKU with a long arm/spring/shock suspension commented that the difference was "like riding in a Cadillac" in mine.

Obviously that's hyperbole on his part, and I'm 100% sure at much higher speeds the rear will begin to want to "buck" being unpaired with the front, but it's not a complete throw-away setup for going quicker than you could before. In fact, manufacturers even sell suspension kits with this setup (look up the Rock Krawler 3.5" Stage 2 Off-Road Pro Coil Over Long Arm System).

So if you're like me and can only afford to do the front first, it's not a bad option and you will notice a difference. Unless you live in AZ/CA and need to be doing 80 to keep up through the desert.
    Last edited by iRonin; 02-02-2019 at 09:49 PM. Reason: grammar
    - iRonin aka "Thanos"
    | Build Thread | Instagram | Youtube |

Quote Originally Posted by iRonin View Post
    Thanks buddy

In my personal case there are several factors, mostly related to the history of the build and the fact that I didn't have the $ up front jump into end state right away. The suspension began life with 4" plush ride springs and 11" bilsteins on all 4 corners when I did the Double-D long arm.

The front was upgraded to C/Os piece-meal because I knew I would eventually be doing double-triangulation to the rear in some form-or-fashion but didn't know which setup I would go with and thus what coilover length to run with ahead of time. The rear is literally the next phase in the build (See Phase 6 in the first post) which is where they will be introduced. The 14" Fox 2.0s and 6" Synergy spring "upgrades" were a cheap "at cost" deal I have with one of the mechanics here that will be buying the setup off me when we do the rear. The 11" travel on the bilsteins was just a painfully obvious limitation coming down off severe off-camber ledges that I wanted to address sooner and the opportunity presented itself while we were doing the 'tons.

For rock crawling, this setup works fine. What Eddie is selling somewhat short (no disrespect) is that for "mild bombing" through your typical Texas wheeling trails and park roads (speeds of about 30-35mph max) from experience this setup does make going over that terrain 100x a lot more comfortable than the typical covered-wagon feel I had before on the same trails with the old setup. I almost wanted to give-a-little and say I don't typically ride with rear passengers so their experience may be different but the truth is, just a couple weekends ago on the Polar Bear run I actually did have a rear passenger who rode with me into camp while we were hauling ass through the roads later in the day. Prior, he had been riding in another buddy's JKU with a long arm/spring/shock suspension commented that the difference was "like riding in a Cadillac" in mine.

Obviously that's hyperbole on his part, and I'm 100% sure at much higher speeds the rear will begin to want to "buck" being unpaired with the front, but it's not a complete throw-away setup for going quicker than you could before. In fact, manufacturers even sell suspension kits with this setup (look up the Rock Krawler 3.5" Stage 2 Off-Road Pro Coil Over Long Arm System).

So if you're like me and can only afford to do the front first, it's not a bad option and you will notice a difference. Unless you live in AZ/CA and need to be doing 80 to keep up through the desert.
    Cindy only drives at 70....

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132