Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Project "Thanos" Build

Happy to announce the one-ton swap is finally complete. This past weekend we had a shakedown run and only had minor items to tweak! I’ll be making more in-depth posts about the swap itself, but there’s a LOT to it so it will take a minute.

Till then here’s a raw gallery of photos over the entire process:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/REMXCoFy3csNRMFo8

Stay tuned!
    IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    - iRonin aka "Thanos"
    | Build Thread | Instagram | Youtube |

Quote Originally Posted by iRonin View Post
    Happy to announce the one-ton swap is finally complete. This past weekend we had a shakedown run and only had minor items to tweak! I’ll be making more in-depth posts about the swap itself, but there’s a LOT to it so it will take a minute.

Stay tuned!
    IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    Meh, looks ok I guess....Lol, came out awesome- that things a beast!

Congrats! Looks great

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Nothing but a Thing 13_gecko_rubi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iRonin View Post

Stay tuned!
    IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    Great seeing it back together!

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rig is looking good....

Nice work. Looking forward to hearing more of the details as I ha e a few questions on this swap. I’m slowly getting my shit together for a similar swap. Currently working on the 14b.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lightbulb 1 Ton Swap - Part 1 - Out with the Old, In with the Old

The journey to 1-Tons begins with the evolution of the current axles I was running beforehand. As my build is a true "build it in stages" progression rather than an all-at-once upgrade, some of the early economic decisions led me down a path where I was effectively stuck running a 37" tire and living with the constant risk of a semi-float rear being the weakest link.

The progression, in summary, was as follows:
    - Originally a Sahara, the Jeep began life with an open diff D30 front, and a limited slip D44 rear, on 3.73 gearing, plenty for 35" tires.
    - Knowing that I would eventually upgrade axles, but still wanting to invest a wee bit in improving capability, I upgraded the front to a cheap Spartan locker, again still on 35s.
    - Now ready to upgrade to 37s, the weakest link was the front axle. Not knowing any local shops well enough to truss/sleeve/gusset the existing axle, I instead elected to go with a Dynatrac ProRock 44, regearing to 4.88, and gaining an ARB selectable air locker as well as RCV shafts, reid knuckles, etc.
    - This shifted the weak point back to the stock rear, where I eventually broke a rear shaft. I upgraded them to chromoly out of necessity but was still stuck with an otherwise stock limited slip rear.
    - After recovering from the PR44/37" wheel/ATX beadlock upgrade, Dynatrac had just announced the XD60, so I decided it was time to upgrade. Small problem though - I was stull on 5 lug wheels and it wasn't an option at the time through NorthRidge for full-float. So rather than trying to figure out how I was going to convert things between, I opted to instead save money and run the semi-float in a 5 lug. On the up-side, it was still a much stronger axle all around, and now I finally had selectable lockers front and rear.
    - This PR44/XD60 config was plenty good for a *lot* of wheeling on 37" Mud Grapplers, and carried me into the JKX.

If my plan was to remain at 37" tires forever, I'd probably still be running the configuration. I did somehow manage to bend a rear flange on the JKX but as you an imagine, this was a week-long wheeling adventure at serious parks like SMORR and Hot Springs, and the wet/muddy conditions called for a lot more skinny pedal than I normally like to throw at things.

So, after the JKX, I decided it was time to super-size to 40s. Again, not being sponsored or made of money, it wasn't really in the budget for me to jump to a 60/80 combo. The cost-effective approach was instead for me to sell my PR44/XD60 setup and use those proceeds to fund about 80% of a complete junkyard swap using quality components.

So with that plan in the books, back in March I found a buyer, and my ProRocks were off and onto a new owner:
    Photo Feb 23, 10 09 52 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 23, 11 08 18 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 24, 4 23 03 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 25, 1 13 20 AM.jpg
    Photo Feb 25, 2 10 37 AM.jpg

And poor Thanos would begin what would ultimately be 7-8 month hibernation in my garage:
    Photo Feb 25, 4 52 42 AM.jpg

I also ended up selling my ATX Slabs, since I would now finally be moving to 8 lug wheels:
    Photo Mar 10, 12 02 11 PM.jpg

The guy who bought 'em was excited they were wheels that had seen the JKX, but I didn't charge extra for the bonus history

With a healthy budget to work with, it was time to find the donor axles. I posted the donors a while back, but I effectively pulled a 2008 Ford SD60 out of an 350 for the front, and a 14 bolt rear out of a 2005 GMC 2500. We used the Artec 1 Ton Swap guide to narrow the list of donor vehicles which helped a lot, particularly in identifying the correct 14 bolt rear variation to get.
    Ford SD60 Raw.jpg
    Ford SD60 Raw 2.jpg

GMC 14b Rear Raw.jpg
    GMC 14b Rear Raw 3.jpg
    GMC 14b Rear Raw 2.jpg

With the donor axles in hand, it was time to order parts and being the build
    junkyard axles.jpg

In the next post, I'll be deviating slightly from chronological order and consolidate everything that went into building up the Front SD60 axle up first, even though we effectively worked a little-bit-at-a-time across both axles. Stay tuned.
    - iRonin aka "Thanos"
    | Build Thread | Instagram | Youtube |

Good stuff. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627