Tumes younhave actually utilized your Hi Lift jacks?

Jaydoc1

So while I know that the jack makes a great recovery tool and people HAVE used them as an actual jack for their vehicles, I know that for many others it's one of those "have it juuuuust in case" items that might never be used in a lifetime of wheeling.

So I'm curious to hear from those for whom the Jack has been a lifesaver or really been of a benefit while on the trail. I've read a lot of stories where people used them just to see if they worked but that actually had a better tool for the job with them (winch, bottle Jack, etc. )

So anyone with any of these stories?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I've used mine several times in several different instances when I didn't have a better tool. Used it as a winch before I got a winch. Used it as a jack to change a flat when I didn't have anything else or when the factory one failed. Used it to get myself out of some ruts a few times also.

I've also used it on loaded trailers to change flats. 2 ton trucks, tractors and other equipment, etc. My grandfather grew up farming and working with tractors and other equipment. He was a firm believer in them and have me mine when I graduated high school. He passed a month later.

It's also currently holding my porch up. Lol. We have to address that problem when we return from vacation.

I believe it's a great tool to have but it does come with some knowledge of use and the dangers it does present. So it isn't for everybody. It's also not always the greatest tool for the job.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I used mine all the time to help break the bead when changing out my tires on my bead lock wheels.

bkac

Caught the Bug
The handles can make some killer trail repair sleeves! Sorry, I don't have any pictures but use your imagination!

Jaydoc1

Thanks guys. Never would have thought about using them for the tires! I'm hoping I never actually need to test it out on the trail.

dillard09

Just the normal way. Lift jeep, change tire, let back down. As per design.
Not the best pic but Front passenger tire sidewall rip. Not my jeep but my hi-lift.

ForumRunner_20150721_135535.jpg

rob_p

I've used mine twice, once to learn how to use it! And the second to teach my son!

Sorry I don't have pictures!

toys4rocks

I've used mine twice, the first time was to change a bad ball joint so we could finish the drive home and the second was to spread the frame just enough to get my new front bumper on.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Not so far as a jack. Rather use my bottle or OEM jack. Used it to lift a 1 ton flat bed delivery truck blocking our rural road. I was surprised how easily it lifted that big boy so we could get boards and rocks under the rear tires. It was a young driver's first day on the job. We saved his future paychecks that day.:thumb:

holliewood61

Ive used mine quite a bit in the garage and on the trail. The key to using them on the trail is to keep a ratchet strap with you to loop around the axle and frame to keep the suspension from drooping out. People get in trouble jacking their rig to the sky to get a tire off when they really dont need to.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ive used mine quite a bit in the garage and on the trail. The key to using them on the trail is to keep a ratchet strap with you to loop around the axle and frame to keep the suspension from drooping out. People get in trouble jacking their rig to the sky to get a tire off when they really dont need to.

Strapping the axle is key to making a hi-lift do the same job a bottle jack can do faster, easier and safer. It is the reason why I no longer carry a hi-lift with me on the trail.

CandAMudders

Great timing on the thread as I just broke down yesterday (get it!) and bought one. Was having some cognitive dissonance with the purchase...wondering if I would ever use it...

Ironwagon

I've used it twice on the trail where none of the bottle jacks worked. Once at the top of Sledgehammer under an XJ that was sitting on it's belly with all four wheels off the ground. It was the only jack with the height to get the XJ off the exhaust and driveshaft. He just drove off the jack and continued on his way. The second time was on a sunk YJ, it was the only jack that could get low enough under the rock rail and lift high enough to get rocks under the tires.
Other than that I've used it to break beads, used the handle to sleeve a bent tie rod and act as a lever to break hub bearing nuts on the trail, etc

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've used it twice on the trail where none of the bottle jacks worked. Once at the top of Sledgehammer under an XJ that was sitting on it's belly with all four wheels off the ground. It was the only jack with the height to get the XJ off the exhaust and driveshaft. He just drove off the jack and continued on his way. The second time was on a sunk YJ, it was the only jack that could get low enough under the rock rail and lift high enough to get rocks under the tires.
Other than that I've used it to break beads, used the handle to sleeve a bent tie rod and act as a lever to break hub bearing nuts on the trail, etc

Yeah, on most of the hammer trails, I would totally agree with you that a Hi-Lift can be a handy tool and one I would carry for it. My comments regarding bottle jacks is directed toward most of the people I see who feel the need to carry one but would never be able to run a trail at that level. Nothing wrong with that of course - just that for most people, a Hi-Lift really isn't something most would need and more times than not, it ends up being used for the wrong job like changing a tire.

Top Bottom