Extra weight

tb8215

How much extra weight do you carry (EDC gear, bugout gear, etc.) and how does it affect your rear suspension (if at all)?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
How much extra weight do you carry (EDC gear, bugout gear, etc.) and how does it affect your rear suspension (if at all)?

Welcome to Wayalife!
:standing wave:

Last week I ran the Rubicon with at least a few hundred pounds of gear (tools, parts, camping supplies, food and drink). I didn't have any issues even going through whoops at another trail earlier in the week.

Honestly it all depends on what suspension you are running. I've got the 4" EVO Plush Rides which are soft coils and I have them paired with the Rancho adjustable shocks set fairly firm in the rear. This helps stiffen up the ride a bit. I used to run the 3" coils and used to bottom out while carrying half the weight.

tb8215

Welcome to Wayalife!

Last week I ran the Rubicon with at least a few hundred pounds of gear (tools, parts, camping supplies, food and drink). I didn't have any issues even going through whoops at another trail earlier in the week.

Honestly it all depends on what suspension you are running. I've got the 4" EVO Plush Rides which are soft coils and I have them paired with the Rancho adjustable shocks set fairly firm in the rear. This helps stiffen up the ride a bit. I used to run the 3" coils and used to bottom out while carrying half the weight.

Thanks for the info. My 2012 JKU is still stock, but I'm trying to decide on what suspension lift to go with. Eventually when I get a heavier bumper with tire carrier, larger tires plus any extra gear that I plan to carry, that will make a difference.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Thanks for the info. My 2012 JKU is still stock, but I'm trying to decide on what suspension lift to go with. Eventually when I get a heavier bumper with tire carrier, larger tires plus any extra gear that I plan to carry, that will make a difference.

It all depends on what type of ride you are looking for, if you want firm go with AEV, RK, TeraFlex, soft go with EVO, if you want your teeth to chatter while driving go with Rough Country. Ride quality is subjective, but remember these two things:

1. You get what you pay for.
2. It's expensive to be cheap.
3. 'Merica.

dwvninety

Welcome to Wayalife!

Did you have to swap out the rear DS for the 4" EVO Plush Rides? I just ordered the 3" from NorthRidge and it has not shipped out yet so I can get the 4" as I plan on doing the Rubicon run with Eddie and WAL crew next year. Also what size tires do you run?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Did you have to swap out the rear DS for the 4" EVO Plush Rides? I just ordered the 3" from NorthRidge and it has not shipped out yet so I can get the 4" as I plan on doing the Rubicon run with Eddie and WAL crew next year. Also what size tires do you run?

I'm running 37's with a JE Reel 1350 up front and a stock driveshaft in the rear. I also have a 4 door auto tranny.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have the 4" plush rides with King 2.5's (non-adjustable) and when I pack the extra 150#'s or so the back end squats enough to rub on the fenders/stock bumper when crawling up ledges and such.

I haven't trimmed the rear fender/bumper yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You'll be fine with this setup and I hope you will join us next year :)

BitBucket

I talked to Eddie at the Noble get together A while back about suspension. My jku is a DD and off roader. Per recommendation, I went with 4" enforcer lift with king 2.5 shocks and 37s. I couldn't be happier. The ride is awesome and best advice ever, thanks Eddie! (And Drew @ EVO)

Top Bottom