Rubicon rebuild

TheStick

So I need to pull the trigger on a couple items for my Jeep. I think I'm decided on the Synergy tie-rod, but not sure on the steering stabilizer. Pretty sure there is a version that mounts on top rather than low like stock but I might be missing something.

The one last thing is the rear diff cover. I've checked it all out and I do not think ill be able to get the stock one flat against the housing again. I don't need something with a skull and crossbone on it, I just want a decent replacement.

All thoughts are welcome! I'll admit I haven't put in a ton of time researching my options, so looking for advice.

07JKSahara

I have two stock 44 covers if you want them. If not, the solid brand diff covers are reasonable price.

I also vote synergy for tie rod.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm not a fan of the Synergy tie-rod but it works. If it were me, I would recommend the Currie one instead but, that's just me. As far as diff covers go, you should be able to find factory take offs all day long. The trick to making it last longer is to grind the bottom of the lip so that it sits ABOVE the bottom of the housing. Simple as that.

If you want a new cover anyway, I personally prefer Dynatrac but ARB is nice too.

TheStick

Well, I'm not a fan of the Synergy tie-rod but it works. If it were me, I would recommend the Currie one instead but, that's just me. As far as diff covers go, you should be able to find factory take offs all day long. The trick to making it last longer is to grind the bottom of the lip so that it sits ABOVE the bottom of the housing. Simple as that.

If you want a new cover anyway, I personally prefer Dynatrac but ARB is nice too.

Interesting. I kept hearing synergy, I'll take a look at the currie.

I know you mentioned the same thing in Tahoe regarding the diff cover. I have no problem staying stock and grinding it down, but I think mine is toast after looking at it closely.

TheStick

I have two stock 44 covers if you want them. If not, the solid brand diff covers are reasonable price.

I also vote synergy for tie rod.

If you have a rear I'll take one! I'll grind down the lip like Eddie recommends and I'm guessing good to go. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. I kept hearing synergy, I'll take a look at the currie.

I know you mentioned the same thing in Tahoe regarding the diff cover. I have no problem staying stock and grinding it down, but I think mine is toast after looking at it closely.

Synergy is trendy because it's cheaper and people always like to recommend what they chose to buy. I only recommend Currie because there really is NO other tie-rod out there for a Dana 30/44 that is beefier, stronger and comes with bigger joints. If you ever did a side by side comparison like I have, you'd know where I'm coming from. But again, that's just me and really, what do I know.

As far as diff covers go, the next time I'm home, I can see if I have anything too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a side by side cutaway comparison of a factory TRE and a Currie TRE...

main.php

Factory...
main.php

Currie...
main.php

I unfortunately don't have a side by side comparison with a Synergy tie-rod but the difference is just as significant.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just did a quick search on my phone, but the currie is $700+?!?

You get what you pay for. Like I said, most people go with Synergy because it's cheaper. For me personally, I prefer to run parts that I know are "better" and NOT just "cheaper". But hey, that's just me.

TheStick

You get what you pay for. Like I said, most people go with Synergy because it's cheaper. For me personally, I prefer to run parts that I know are "better" and NOT just "cheaper". But hey, that's just me.

No. I totally get that, and TBH, I typically look at it the same way. But I also try to be honest with myself and have a CPA law of cheapness ;)

I don't wheel nearly as hard or as often as you. I am also going through a career change this summer so I am trying to be tight with money.

If the currie isn't in the cards for me right now, would you recommend something like the Crown for $150, figure I'll just bend it again and go from there. Or something like the Synergy.

Either way planning on going with the Currie next spring?

And just to back to my use. I'd love to do the Rubicon one more time this summer. But the rest of my use would be moderate/easy trails like gold lake. Poker flat. Slick rock. Etc.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No. I totally get that, and TBH, I typically look at it the same way. But I also try to be honest with myself and have a CPA law of cheapness ;)

I don't wheel nearly as hard or as often as you. I am also going through a career change this summer so I am trying to be tight with money.

If the currie isn't in the cards for me right now, would you recommend something like the Crown for $150, figure I'll just bend it again and go from there. Or something like the Synergy.

Either way planning on going with the Currie next spring?

And just to back to my use. I'd love to do the Rubicon one more time this summer. But the rest of my use would be moderate/easy trails like gold lake. Poker flat. Slick rock. Etc.

If you really think you'd get something like a currie next spring, I would just straighten out your tie-rod with a harbor freight shop press. They cost about $100 and are simple to use. That's what I did with my factory tie-rod on Rubicat for a long time and then bought a currie. You can also use the press to do all kinds of other jeep maintenance. That being said, if you're just wanting a replacement and call it a day, a Synergy or Rock Krawler will work too.

TheStick

If you really think you'd get something like a currie next spring, I would just straighten out your tie-rod with a harbor freight shop press. They cost about $100 and are simple to use. That's what I did with my factory tie-rod on Rubicat for a long time and then bought a currie. You can also use the press to do all kinds of other jeep maintenance. That being said, if you're just wanting a replacement and call it a day, a Synergy or Rock Krawler will work too.

I'm liking that idea! :thumb:

On the flip side. Any reason not to just get a stock steering stabilizer? Especially considering I plan to go with the currie tie-Rod in the future. All things compatible?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm liking that idea! :thumb:

On the flip side. Any reason not to just get a stock steering stabilizer? Especially considering I plan to go with the currie tie-Rod in the future. All things compatible?

The only reason to not get a stock stabilizer is that you can typically get something like a Rancho 5000 stabilizer for less. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with a stock stabilizer and I prefer it over a lot of the expensive gas charged ones you can get.

TheStick

The only reason to not get a stock stabilizer is that you can typically get something like a Rancho 5000 stabilizer for less. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with a stock stabilizer and I prefer it over a lot of the expensive gas charged ones you can get.

Cool. And you've been right that it drives fine without. If I can get something like the Rancho for less I'll do that.

TheStick

Ok. So the only thing I'm going back and forth on is wether I spend the money now on a good front tie rod.

So other than that I have the Rancho steering stabilizer. The crown HD ball joints. And the Evo C gussets.

The ball joints and the C's were things I already needed so I figure to do it all at once.

Before I pull the trigger just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Top Bottom