12 pt VS 6 pt tools

I am going to have to rebuild my tool box (trail tools were stolen with the Jeep). What's everyone's thought on 12 point Vs 6 point tools. I am most interested in sockets. In my experience, 6 point are better as they don't round the heads. I know there will be some doubles(6 and 12) to fit the ones I need. Thoughts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really like 6-point sockets especially for the bigger sizes as they typically need more torque and I don't want any slippage. For the smaller sockets, 12-point seems to be fine and a lot of times, I find that they're easier to work with/more forgiving in tight spaces. Also, they typically don't need as much force to free up or tighten things - fewer chances to jack up the bolt or nut.

I really like 6-point sockets especially for the bigger sizes as they typically need more torque and I don't want any slippage. For the smaller sockets, 12-point seems to be fine and a lot of times, I find that they're easier to work with/more forgiving in tight spaces. Also, they typically don't need as much force to free up or tighten things - fewer chances to jack up the bolt or nut.

Yep, makes sense. Thanks!

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
While I have a lot of money tied up into mostly 12 point sockets... I'd go with six points. If you have a nut/bolt that has been rounded, you'll get it off with less chance of further rounding with six points. And you may not get them off at all if a 12 point slips on a rounded bolt.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have both. Some bolts (the three holding the unit bearing on) require 12pt and some require 6pt. I mostly carry 6 point sockets since I have wrenches I can use on the 12 points. But I also carry a box end wrench equivalent to each size socket I carry.

I have both. Some bolts (the three holding the unit bearing on) require 12pt and some require 6pt. I mostly carry 6 point sockets since I have wrenches I can use on the 12 points. But I also carry a box end wrench equivalent to each size socket I carry.

Yep, that's the first three that come to mind ( the next ones are the Dynatrac bolts on the covers). Thanks all for the inputs!!!

toxicwaste29

I use 12 points all the time except when I'm worried about rounding off a bolt; that's when I use a 6 point. Also I like 12 points for rounded bolts. When you hit it on it grabs/bites better than a 6 pt

Top Bottom