I need to understand what i have before i do any mods

Mtb275

I am hoping i can lean on you all to help me understand what i have. I bought the jeep used and the gentleman told me he had a terra flex lift on it approximately 3.5", well after doing some research it doesn't appear they make a 3.5" lift. It is definitely Terraflex. It has terra flex rear shocks and rancho front shock. Not sure if control arms have been changed out. The springs are Trerraflex.

My wheeling consists of the trails, No serious rock crawling with the intent to try and push the jeep to its breaking point. With that said though i want to be able to run the full Dusy some day. I will put 35's on it when these tires wear out. I will eventual upgrade the front axle.

I like the current ride height which will fit 35 especially after i get aftermarket fenders.

The ride is a little soft. There is a lot of body roll on turns. We are a family of 5 and and the jeep has some after market stuff on it. LOD rear bumper and tire carrier, soon to be Crawler Concpt front bumper, full rack, winch, etc..

oh, it is a 2008 JKU with manual transmission

IMG_0770.jpg IMG_0771.jpg IMG_0772.jpg IMG_0773.jpg IMG_0774.jpg IMG_0775.jpg IMG_0776.jpg IMG_0777.jpg IMG_0778.jpg IMG_0779.jpg IMG_0780.jpg IMG_0781.jpg IMG_0782.jpg IMG_0783.jpg IMG_0784.jpg IMG_0785.jpg IMG_0786.jpg IMG_0787.jpg IMG_0788.jpg IMG_0790.jpg

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
It could be one of their 4" kits that has sagged to 3.5" or one of their 3" kits that gave more lift than advertised. (which is pretty common)

Either way it is plenty for 35s.

Those Rancho shocks are their 9000 series which are adjustable. If you get a set for the rear and adjust them to their stiffer setting it may help with the body roll slightly.

Last edited:

Hot94Z28

The control arms are stock, also see what the setting is on the 9000 shocks as you can set them up to be firmer.

Mtb275

After 70,000 miles do you think the shocks could be worn out?

I will check the setting and post what it is

JKbrick

Not sure if it wanders around on you but you should get adjustable front lower control arms to get your caster in spec with 3.5" of lift.

Mtb275

In the front the lower control arms are rectangular tubing and the uppers are round bar. The rears are opposite, lowers are round and the uppers are rectangular.

Are they all stock or is the round aftermarket?

I'd look at all the bushings really well. It looks like the rear track-bar was raised at some point to the highest hole. My guess is this was to help with the roll on corners. It might have been a band-aid to another issue. 70k miles is enough to wear shocks depending on how the miles were put on, but you should be able to check that by giving it a bounce test.

I couldn't see where caster is being corrected but I might have missed it. Also, I see where the track bar is raised on the axle but couldn't tell if the d-link was flipped at the knuckle or if you have a dropped pitman arm. You should have one otherwise this will cause poor handling.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks to me like only the front shocks are Rancho 9000's and the rears are basic TeraFlex shocks which are just old school hydro shocks. If it were me, I would start off by replacing the rear shocks with a set of Rancho 9000's as well and dial that in to a setting that helps give you the ride you're looking for. If after that you still are feeling too much roll, I would give the factory bushings a look. I doubt they are worn out already but, it is possible.

As far as your lift goes, you most likely have a 3" kit and got well over 3.5" out of it. As mentioned, this is very common with TeraFlex coils. It's also be more than enough to clear 35's.

Mtb275

I'd look at all the bushings really well. It looks like the rear track-bar was raised at some point to the highest hole. My guess is this was to help with the roll on corners. It might have been a band-aid to another issue. 70k miles is enough to wear shocks depending on how the miles were put on, but you should be able to check that by giving it a bounce test.

I couldn't see where caster is being corrected but I might have missed it. Also, I see where the track bar is raised on the axle but couldn't tell if the d-link was flipped at the knuckle of if you have a dropped pitman arm. You should have one otherwise this will cause poor handling.

I thought you want to stay away from a dropped pitman arm?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought you want to stay away from a dropped pitman arm?

Nothing wrong with a dropped pitman arm per se and it's actually needed IF you have a track bar relocation bracket and don't have at drag link flip. By the looks of your pic, I'm going to guess you do have a drag link flip but I believe jay did specifically state "OR" when he wast talking about all this.

I'm going to guess you do have a drag link flip but I believe jay did specifically state "OR" when he wast talking about all this.

I made a typo (imagine that :doh:) I had "of" instead of "or" but you understood me correctly :yup:

(This was another one of my posts while talking on the phone :dont_tell: )

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Nothing wrong with a dropped pitman arm per se and it's actually needed IF you have a track bar relocation bracket and don't have at drag link flip. By the looks of your pic, I'm going to guess you do have a drag link flip but I believe jay did specifically state "OR" when he wast talking about all this.

Personally I wouldn't run one for the simple fact they are junk. I can't tell you how many I've seen that fit sloppy. Which will cause the splines to get twisted.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I wouldn't run one for the simple fact they are junk. I can't tell you how many I've seen that fit sloppy. Which will cause the splines to get twisted.

Oh, I'm with you. I was just trying to say that a dropped pitman arm in general isn't such a terrible thing but you're right, most of the ones made for the JK are junk. The one that Rancho makes is actually good. That being said, it still looks to me like he's running a drag link flip.

Oh, I'm with you. I was just trying to say that a dropped pitman arm in general isn't such a terrible thing but you're right, most of the ones made for the JK are junk. The one that Rancho makes is actually good. That being said, it still looks to me like he's running a drag link flip.

After looking again, I think you are right. :yup:

Mtb275

I think it does have a drag link flip kit on it. I will try to snap a few more photos.

Regarding the shocks, I understand the 9000's are decent shocks. If I'm going to replace the rears, I might as well replace all 4. The Kings are out of price range, but what about Fox reservoir shocks? Are they better than ran cho 9000's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think it does have a drag link flip kit on it. I will try to snap a few more photos.

Regarding the shocks, I understand the 9000's are decent shocks. If I'm going to replace the rears, I might as well replace all 4. The Kings are out of price range, but what about Fox reservoir shocks? Are they better than ran cho 9000's

Well, they cost more money, are shiny, have a reservoir and have a Fox sticker on them. :crazyeyes:

If you plan on doing a lot of fast driving out in the desert, the Fox shocks would be a nice addition but are far from needed. If you have money to spend, I'd get them just because you seem to want them. But, if you're working on a budget, I would just get a set of Rancho's for the rear to even things up. But hey, that's just me.

big dr

After 70,000 miles do you think the shocks could be worn out?

I will check the setting and post what it is

After 70K,, I would all but guarantee they are no longer doing their job as effectively as they should,, if at least one or two aren't totally worthless. I'd buy all new shocks.:beer:

Top Bottom