Stock 32s to 33s worth it?

tharb5111

Is there a benefit to ditch 32s for 33s when my time comes to get new tires?

I understand 32s are really 31s and 33s really measure 32 something, but I am trying to understand if there is an off-road benefit to gaining 1/2 inch more axle lift upsizing to 33s.

Seems a lot of folks do it. Not sure I understand the benefit.

I am almost tempted to stay 32s but go down from 17 inch to 16 inch wheels to get more sidewall flex?

Advice and wisdom on this issue would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1438040339451.jpg
    1438040339451.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 156

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I when I parked my 09 on 33s next to my new stock 14 JKUR I felt instantly that I had wasted my money on the 33s that had.

Especially since its so easy to fit 35s under a JK, I suggest you stick with what you have until you can go bigger.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Think about what your endgame is and build from there. If you do fire roads and aren't planning on running any moderate trails stick with stock tires to save some money. As far as going down to 16's for more sidewall flex, the benefits are more likely not even something you could measure, again save some money.

If you plan on building your rig, go straight to 35's and skip 33's or 34's, I've been there and wound up spending money twice. It's expensive to be cheap. But remember, it's your Jeep, build it to suit your needs. :thumb:

USMC Wrangler

I went from the SRA's to 255/80R17 BFG KM2's (advertised as 33.1", measures 32" mounted at 35ish psi). The reason for me was if I were to go to 35's I'd want to ditch my 3.21 gears immediately. I simply couldn't swing the costs involved and the closest shop to me is well over 100 miles each way. I have been impressed with my stock setup, but knew I needed/wanted a better tire for off road. I picked that size to avoid rubbing issues.

Do I wish I had 35's? Yes! Could I do all of it, the right way, all at once? No. The time will come for me though with new gears and a front axle upgrade to go with the 35's. That's just me...

Panda

50% of the time 33's work all the time. 75% of the time 35's work most of the time.

Hell you can even get stuck with 37's 25% of the time :crazyeyes:

Frank nailed it, figure out what you wana do with your jeep and spend $ once

tharb5111

I went from the SRA's to 255/80R17 BFG KM2's (advertised as 33.1", measures 32" mounted at 35ish psi). The reason for me was if I were to go to 35's I'd want to ditch my 3.21 gears immediately. I simply couldn't swing the costs involved and the closest shop to me is well over 100 miles each way. I have been impressed with my stock setup, but knew I needed/wanted a better tire for off road. I picked that size to avoid rubbing issues.

Do I wish I had 35's? Yes! Could I do all of it, the right way, all at once? No. The time will come for me though with new gears and a front axle upgrade to go with the 35's. That's just me...

I measured my stocks just now. At 24k miles and at 35psi I am at around 31.5 inches tall at center of tire at its highest point.

At this point I will look forward to wheelin it stock with you and the guys in October at Austin. Will get a better idea of my Jeep and what it can do and what I want it to do.

Some trail time stock will hopefully give me a better idea of what I need to do. Lockers and better skids may be more important to me than lift and larger tires but I'll know more after our wheeling trip in October.

Will be nice to meet y'all there in October. Seems like you are doing a lot of work on your Jeep. How's it going? Getting through that pile of parts?

tharb5111

Btw would like to see a pic of your third row seating. Sounds cool. I've heard of that being done. Did you rear face the third row seat?

Also do you rub those 33s at flex? What about full lock? Any rubbing?

tharb5111

Think about what your endgame is and build from there. If you do fire roads and aren't planning on running any moderate trails stick with stock tires to save some money. As far as going down to 16's for more sidewall flex, the benefits are more likely not even something you could measure, again save some money.

If you plan on building your rig, go straight to 35's and skip 33's or 34's, I've been there and wound up spending money twice. It's expensive to be cheap. But remember, it's your Jeep, build it to suit your needs. :thumb:

I think that sounds like good advice right there. I'm wheeling in hidden falls in Austin in October and I think that experience will give me a better idea of what I need to do.

As of now I'm happy with my 32s and the light trails and mud roads I hit for fun. Heck I even like the look of the 32s. I don't think they look small. Kinda beefy. Keep the jeep feeling nimble too which I like. But I'll know more after I wheel my rig with the guys in October. Really looking forward to it and meeting new fellow jeepers.

USMC Wrangler

I measured my stocks just now. At 24k miles and at 35psi I am at around 31.5 inches tall at center of tire at its highest point.

At this point I will look forward to wheelin it stock with you and the guys in October at Austin. Will get a better idea of my Jeep and what it can do and what I want it to do.

Some trail time stock will hopefully give me a better idea of what I need to do. Lockers and better skids may be more important to me than lift and larger tires but I'll know more after our wheeling trip in October.

Will be nice to meet y'all there in October. Seems like you are doing a lot of work on your Jeep. How's it going? Getting through that pile of parts?

This is essentially what I've been doing, trying things out stock and really thinking about what I want to do and what I can do without using a credit card! No, the tires I added aren't a massive difference in size, but they have been a great improvement. Skids have been on my to do list and finally getting to them. I plan on an early morning start this Friday to make more progress, thanks for asking!

The only rub I had was on the lower air dam, disconnected. I just removed the air dam the other day instead it being ripped off on the trail. The info on the tires and 3rd row seat are on the first page of my build thread linked in my signature. I'm more than happy to show you more details at Hidden Falls. I'm really looking forward to the trip and meeting everyone!

ScoobyCarolanNC

I'm running 275/65r18. So they're .2" bigger than stock but .5" wider. Still fit on the spare tire carrier & they don't rub unless at full lock. Also I didn't need to recalibrate. All things you have to consider when changing tire sizes.

Top Bottom