Johnny Joint Rust

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
While rust in the east coast is so hard to manage, I would think in summer it wouldnt be so bad.

I will take a pic when I leave work, but my johnny joints on my carrier are looking kind of sad and it seems thats partly why my carrier is so hard to open.

Anyone have solutions for keeping the rust down on them?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
While rust in the east coast is so hard to manage, I would think in summer it wouldnt be so bad.

I will take a pic when I leave work, but my johnny joints on my carrier are looking kind of sad and it seems thats partly why my carrier is so hard to open.

Anyone have solutions for keeping the rust down on them?

Move west.

Oil then down with WD40. If it's hard to open, the joints need greased.

JohnnyD

I got the same issues...was wheeling last weekend and everything was squeekin bad...just eastern livin I guess

Was just in AZ this week and saw lots off rigs around...very little rust underneath...environment is everything I guess

I got the same issues...was wheeling last weekend and everything was squeekin bad...just eastern livin I guess

Was just in AZ this week and saw lots off rigs around...very little rust underneath...environment is everything I guess

But I bet they all were squeaking! Seriously, my Jeep has never squeaked so much as my short time out west. Hit some rain on the way home and they all went away...

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Move west.

Oil then down with WD40. If it's hard to open, the joints need greased.

I dont think the grease is the issue, I greased them once I got the carrier and I have seriously only opened it maybe 10 times so far since its so hard. Seems to get stuck on the brackets and the ends almost rust together. Ill take some pics shortly.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I dont think the grease is the issue, I greased them once I got the carrier and I have seriously only opened it maybe 10 times so far since its so hard. Seems to get stuck on the brackets and the ends almost rust together. Ill take some pics shortly.

Grease is always the issue. Especially where you live. Rain water will get in there.

dagdag

Where are the pics? I don't have anything to contribute, but I want to see.

ChaosNein

Johnny Joints generally are not the source of the rust. the rust you see is from where the tire carrier brackets and the Johnny Joints rub the paint/powdercoat off. You need to simply remove the rust from the Johnny Joint with WD40 and touch up the paint/powdercoating. But like everything, you need to perform routine maintenance on your equipment. So clean the uniball in the Joint every once in a while with WD40 or similar and maintain the coating on the bracket.

Rebel JK

With the right combination of sockets and c clamp or bj press you dont need special tool. When i re do my ca's i use a rubber mallet and socket to drive out and vise to press in.

Sudz

I bet the internals are fine. That looks like it was exposed to Magnesium or Calcium Chloride.

The chem PennDOT sprays on the roads when snow is in the forecast. That stuff is corrosive as hell.

JKbrick

Get the tool, will save you time. I must have just got lucky 8 times.

Do you remember what size sockets you used? I had a 9/16 bolt and sockets to compress the bushing to pull the snap ring but the socket was always in the way of the tabs.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I bet the internals are fine. That looks like it was exposed to Magnesium or Calcium Chloride.

The chem PennDOT sprays on the roads when snow is in the forecast. That stuff is corrosive as hell.
I'm sure they don't need replaced, but they will be dry and that's why it's hard to open.

What the hell do I know, I've only assembled hundreds of these.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I'll take some pics of exactly how it sits in the mounts tomorrow, I feel it gets stuck.

Not like I can't try and make it even better on round 2 tho. Thinking about using my friends chain host to hold the carrier to try and it perfect.

Top Bottom