Vhf radio/ marine radio

robx251

Caught the Bug
I'm wondering if anyone uses of what they use for a vhf radio while Wheeling. I have been looking at these for a while but my cb has just crapped and I need a replacement, before everyone jumps at me yes I am aware different frequencies and the cb is am while the vhf is fm.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Not just the fact that they are different modulation types but they are really only used by mariners. Not sure why youd want to talk to them on the trail...

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Weird. Never seen that before but if that is what everyone around you is using I guess you can't go wrong.

Jk909

I have a spare handheld marine radio that I keep in my shtf bag. Whether boating or wheeling I always have it with me.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I'm wondering if anyone uses of what they use for a vhf radio while Wheeling. I have been looking at these for a while but my cb has just crapped and I need a replacement, before everyone jumps at me yes I am aware different frequencies and the cb is am while the vhf is fm.

Airplanes use it too. Be careful.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
The jeep clubs up here use the non commercial frequencies

That is different for sure

I would think maybe what can be done is and I think it has been mentioned and get another cb and carry a handheld vhf that way you got both radios to use for what you need without spending heavy on a full size vhf radio

robx251

Caught the Bug
That is different for sure

I would think maybe what can be done is and I think it has been mentioned and get another cb and carry a handheld vhf that way you got both radios to use for what you need without spending heavy on a full size vhf radio

Yea that's the plan something reasonably priced but decent reception. As good as a cb or better. I'm pretty sure I'll just get a unidin 510 or 520 for that.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Yea that's the plan something reasonably priced but decent reception. As good as a cb or better. I'm pretty sure I'll just get a unidin 510 or 520 for that.

10-4 it's just one of those things bro round these neck of woods it's tip for tap most roll with full size cb then there are a lot that do handhelds but mostly for hunting or runnin dogs

Pretty much long as the cb does what you want it to do that's all that matters

Salton Sea Walker

I've got a set of hand held marine radios.. technically illegal to use unless you're on the water, but I've never seen the FCC out on the trail giving tickets.. Only used them a few times because of the limited range. My CB with a big Firestik is better, and I can talk to everyone else with it.

David1tontj

"Rugged radios" makes a little handheld unit the Rh-5r that I picked up for just over $100 in a kit with a larger battery and long antenna. It's a dual band vhf/uhf that has a 5 watt output. Great little race radio that is super compact and I even use it as a police scanner when not at a race or wheeling.

I looked into the marine radios, but most of them only have the 16 or so preset frequencies, where a good race radio can be tuned to any frequency manually.

The rh-5r even has a built in flashlight and fm radio. Pretty cool, and I don't go anywhere without it.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1274

robx251

Caught the Bug
"Rugged radios" makes a little handheld unit the Rh-5r that I picked up for just over $100 in a kit with a larger battery and long antenna. It's a dual band vhf/uhf that has a 5 watt output. Great little race radio that is super compact and I even use it as a police scanner when not at a race or wheeling.

I looked into the marine radios, but most of them only have the 16 or so preset frequencies, where a good race radio can be tuned to any frequency manually.

The rh-5r even has a built in flashlight and fm radio. Pretty cool, and I don't go anywhere without it.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1274

Those look very similar to the ones you can get on eBay under the brand of Beofang. I have been considering one these for a while.

Bosunmate

As a commercial Towboat pilot I would not recommend using a marine radio. As mentioned, it would be illegal for trail use even if you had a FCC licence for it. Having worked with the enforcement branch off the FCC while in the Coast Guard, I can guarantee you would never spot the monitoring/enforcement operations vehicles that they use. It is just not worth it. I recommend Ham radio. Much more fun!

Top Bottom