EVO Front and Rear LCA Skid Questions

USMC Wrangler

I have all four LCA skids and will be welding these on soon. I did read the write up http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...jk-wrangler-evo-front-lower-control-arm-skids but have a couple of questions.

I have stock control arms and am wondering if the heat could damage any components? (factory control arm bushings?) Should I approach this like the c-gussets, cooling frequently?

I have no experience removing control arms, but would this be a safe bet? Can they be removed with the weight of the Jeep sitting on the ground or ramps? Last, if I do remove them I'm guessing I would have to remove them completely to reinstall after the skids go on???? :idontknow:

Sorry for all the questions at once and thanks!

Do one at a time... I would (and did). Tac them into place with the LCA installed. Then, removed it for final welding and painting. Reinstalled the arm and repeated the steps on the other side.

USMC Wrangler

Thanks. :yup:

Actually, I will be pulling the tires for fear of throwing splatter at them.

So, jack stand on the frame since the control arm will be removed and support the axle with a jack? newb here sorry :grayno:

Last edited:
Thanks. :yup:

Actually, I will be pulling the tires for fear of throwing splatter at them.

So, jack stand on the frame since the control arm will be removed and support the axle with a jack? newb here sorry :grayno:

I'm assuming MIG welding, but are you using flux core or shield gas? If gas what type?

I can't imagine the splatter hurting the tires. You may get some shifting of the axle when you remove the control arm bolts. It shouldn't be much but when you are playing jack stand JENGA it will pucker things up (if you catch my drift :brows: ). Also, I've found it is often easiest to realign the control arm bolts when installing the arms by having the Jeep on the ground and having a helper try to rotate a tire slowly. The leverage makes alignment a snap. Bottom-line, I think I would leave it sitting on it's own feet. :twocents:

USMC Wrangler

And, thank you again! :thumb:

Unfortunately, my welding options are MIG flux and ARC. I can run C25 on my Lincoln 210, but the closest welding supplier is 120 miles each way and only does 12 month leases. Not to mention, they have a captive audience and the price shows.

When I was doing my c-gussets the other day (MIG flux) I had those foam rubber puzzle mats on the ground. The splatter ate right through those. Just makes me worry about my tires that have a whopping 2500 miles on them. I should be able to rig something up though to safely cover each tire, since it sounds like it's better to remove the control arms on the ground, one at a time.

I'm full of questions, my apologies...to give myself some room, would putting the end I'm working on up on ramps cause a weird bind or a dangerous situation removing/installing the arms?

And, thank you again! :thumb:

I'm full of questions, my apologies...to give myself some room, would putting the end I'm working on up on ramps cause a weird bind or a dangerous situation removing/installing the arms?

No problem, happy to help.

Flux core and ARC do make more splatter for sure. You could always keep a spray bottle of water handy and get the surrounding areas wet before welding. This way any splatter that hits the area is cooled faster and does less (if any at all) damage.

I would try to keep the axle straight. twisting it will definitely cause the joint to misalign. This will make getting the bolt back in harder. Impossible? I doubt it, but for sure more difficult.

If you need more room it can be done on jack stands, it will just take a bit longer and it isn't the way I personally would do it... but then again, I have a 2-post lift in my shop so I would do it standing up ;)

Never mind laying on the ground...I'm on my way to your house from Texas! Nice :cheesy:

Well, I have had WAL family from Boston, VA, and KY in my shop... Soon to add TN. Why not TX :rock:

Edit to add comment: I call it my "shop" but I do not run a business or make money from it. I just enjoy company and wrenching with friends. I know (or at least hope) the mods know this.... but I though I might need to clarify before a troll gets butthurt.

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

I hope to get to these tomorrow if my "honey do" list gets done. One last question...

On the Project-JK write up it shows welding the inner flanges up front. I'm doing front and rear LCA skids. Should the rear inner flanges get a bead too?

Edit: I guess I can just run a bead on each flange while I'm down there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom