EMMA : 1969 Kaiser Jeepster Commando C101

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone, Cindy and I would like to introduce the newest member of the WAYALIFE family - a 1969 Kaiser Jeepster Commando, also known as a C101 due to it's 101" wheelbase. As you can see in the photos below, this old lady is still bone stock and if you can believe it, still running the original 160 horsepower Dauntless V6 engine and TH400 automatic transmission. While she does have a few bumps and bruises and even a touch of body cancer in the passenger side rocker panel, she is overall a very clean Jeep and one that we look forward to working on. Of course, the best part is that we were actually able to driver her home, on the highway and safely at speeds over 65 MPH!

Anyway, here are a few pics that we took soon after brining her home. :cool:
main.php

main.php

Here you can see some rocker panel damage on the driver side of the Jeepster that might be tough to pull out. Fortunately, if needed, replacement panels can still be found.
main.php

main.php

There's also a dent in the driver side rear quarter panel but, I think I can get this one straightened out without too much fuss.
main.php

The rear tire carrier was a homemade deal and we'll be pulling it off.
main.php

The passenger side is in much better condition but the hard top is pretty beat.
main.php

The front passenger side fender took on quite a ding when the old mirror that used to be on the door smashed into sometime long ago. Fortunately, fixing this shouldn't be too hard and if needed, replacement fenders can be found. The part that sucks is that there's a small growth of cancer on the rocker panel toward the rear tire. This will need to get cut out.
main.php

Here are a few detail shots of the Jeepster.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

This will give you a better look at the fast back design.
main.php

main.php

A look inside the back.
main.php

I know it's hard to look past the nasty upholstery (this is going in a hurry) but, here's a shot looking inside from the driver side door.
main.php

Shot from the passenger side door.
main.php

Surprisingly, the doors are very complete and both works great.
main.php

Nasty sun visors will have to be replaced.
main.php

Shot of the center console and automatic shifter.
main.php

main.php

Amazingly, the dash switches and gauges all work.
main.php

main.php

The floor pans have a rubber matting on them but, giving things a look from underneath, I saw very little if any signs of rusting through.
main.php

Finally, here are a few shots under the hood.
main.php

main.php

main.php

And that's pretty much that! From here, Cindy and I will start cleaning her up, remove some of the nasty stuff the previous owner added and then we'll pull off the hard top and crappy roll bar that's installed. Hopefully, we'll be able to get some simple parts ordered up just to make this awesome Jeepster Commando a bit more ours. I hope you'll follow the transformation and enjoy the pics we post up along the way :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1969 Kaiser Jeepster Commando C101 : The Newest Member of the WAYALIFE Family

Okay, spent some time today washing, cleaning and removing crap off of our new Jeepster Commando. Here are a few shots of what it looked like with the homemade tire carrier off. Kinda reminds me of an AMC Gremlin :crazyeyes:
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Cleaned up the inside a bit and started to remove the nasty upholstery. The vinyl underneath is pretty damaged but, for now, I prefer it this way.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Shot from the back - super clean now. You can kind of see the sun visors are free of the upholstery as well. Need to find some replacements.
main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It was hell to get off but, we finally got the old dash pad or crash pad off. While the upholstery peeled off easy enough, there was a ton of old adhesive still on the vinyl and baked on. Removing it has been quite a challenge and we're still working on it. The good news is that for the most part, the vinyl is free of cracks, or at least, any major ones. Here's a shot of the dash pad pulled off.
main.php

Here's a couple of shots of what we're trying to get off. Lacquer thinner is working well but, some of it is really stubborn.
main.php

Not too sure if we're going to be able to get this glob off.
main.php

From day one, we had wanted to pull the hard top and roll bar off of this Jeepster and figured now was as good of a time as any to make it happen. Shot of the cab area with the top off.
main.php

Here are a few shots of what she looks like outside.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Just how she was meant to look!
main.php

main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Spent some time yesterday cleaning up the old dash pad with the hopes of restoring it. Here's a shot of what it looked like with it's nasty brownish upholstery.
main.php

main.php

After pulling off the upholstery, there was all kinds of old adhesive and glue baked into it.
main.php

Spending a lot of time cleaning, we were able to get most of the crap off.
main.php

Some areas proved to be a lot harder than others though.
main.php

A couple of shots of the dash all cleaned up and painted black.
main.php

main.php

TaDa! Good as new!!
main.php

main.php

main.php

:cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Gotta a chance to work on Emma today. Started off with installing a new set of arm rests on the doors. Here's a before shot.
View attachment 159766

And here's an after shot.
View attachment 159767

Also cleaned up and installed a set of new sun visors. Here's a before shot of what the old ones looked like.
View attachment 159768

After painting the hardware and installing new sun visors.
View attachment 159769

Installed a set of new hood latches. Here's what the old ones looked like.
View attachment 159771

And here's what the new hood latches look like.
View attachment 159770

Started cleaning up the old hub caps.
View attachment 159772

Finally, our new low back seats came in today and I'm eager to get them installed.
View attachment 159775

:)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Okay, it's been a while since I've updated this thread and thought I should bring ya'll up to speed on what we've been doing with Emma. As some of you may recall, the floor of this Jeepster Commando C101 was cover with a dynamat like material and we were concerned that it might be hiding some rust or worse. Needless to say, we decided to pull up the matting to see what was going on underneath it.
main.php

Unfortunately, our suspicions were right as we found several rust spots that needed to be dealt with, multiple holes that needed to be plugged and even a large hole with cracks radiating from it that needed to be fixed.
main.php

main.php

This is the large hole with the cracks around it. Looks like it once was the location of an improperly made seat mount.
main.php

Here's a shot of what the floor looked like after removing all the matting.
main.php

Time to clean up the loose rust and prepare the holes and cracks areas to be welded up.
main.php

With most of the loose rust removed, there were a few spots that broke all the way through and would need to be patched or cut out.
main.php

As you can see here, I was able to clear enough rust to open up a pretty good depression but, enough metal was still present that I decided to just patch it. The gaping hole to the right would need to be repaired.
main.php

main.php

Time to weld up some of the excess holes.
main.php

Having a copper spoon is real helpful to with this especially being that the steel on the floor pan is so thin.
main.php

One down and about a dozen more to go.
main.php

Using a sheet of stock steel of the same gauge that I bought from the local hardware store, I cut out a piece and fashioned it to match the hole in the floor pan. I used a magnet to help hold it in place until I could tack weld it on.
main.php

Taking my time, I was able to get it welded on and get all the radiating cracks stitched up as well.
main.php

Cleaning up welds a bit to make sure they don't interfere with the installation of the seat mounts.
main.php

I know it's not the best solution but short of replacing the entire floor pans, I felt that some POR 15 putty would do well enough to patch up some of the rougher spots.
main.php

main.php

After sanding, cleaning and treating the floor, I applied POR 15 Silver on the remaining lightly rusted areas.
main.php

Finally, after sanding, cleaning and prepping the floor again, I painted the entire floor pan with POR Top Coat to give it a nice finish.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Next up will be installing a new carpet kit and new seats - stay tuned. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

There was some factory weather stripping that was in the blue color that came standard on this Jeepster and I spent some time getting them painted black.
main.php

main.php

I also picked up some new door lock buttons to cap off the thread-all that was sticking up out of the holes.
main.php

The carpet kit I got came with an insulating pad but, much like the carpet itself, it needed to be trimmed and have holes cut out of it to make it work.
main.php

main.php

Time to repeat the process on the carpet.
main.php

It took a lot of effort but, I was finally able to get the carpeting installed as well as our new seats and seat belts and here are a few initial shots of what it looked like when all was said and done.
main.php

main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Fortunately, there's a lot of support out there for the Jeepster Commando and as luck would have it, we were able to track down a set of 4 hub caps with matching (right color) emblems. After a lot of work with some steel wool and some chrome polish, here's what we were able to get them to look like.
main.php

main.php

We were also able to find a new grill medallion in the same color scheme.
main.php

main.php

Finally, here are some all around shots that we took soon after Emma's first drive since bringing her home.
main.php

main.php

Shot of Emma's rear end with new pre-1980 Nevada plate.
main.php

main.php

main.php

A few interior shots.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Looking down and into the tub.
main.php

main.php

Up front shots and up higher.
main.php

main.php

3/4 mug shot.
main.php

Head on mug shot.
main.php

Looking into the smokey sun.
main.php

main.php

main.php

New hub caps.
main.php

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Beautiful rig! Now all you need to do to complete your collection is find a nice FC.

BTW I get first dibs on Rusty.

BentMetal

Nice find. Makes me miss my 67 & 69. At least power brakes were added. It doesn't look like you have power steering on it. If your interested in the bracket and gearbox pm me. I still have a few boxes of stuff from mine. Here's a picture of when my jeep decided it wanted to go over the side of the trail instead of up the trail. Great find👍 ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438643883.252986.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice!.... but now we have to visit again to see it in person ;)

Well, you're welcome to come by anytime :cool:

Beautiful rig! Now all you need to do to complete your collection is find a nice FC.

BTW I get first dibs on Rusty.

As much as I would love to get my hands on an FC, what I really want is an old Willys Jeep or even Willys wagon or pick-up. But, even the FC would work to complete my collection of manufacturers. Our Renegade is made by Fiat, our JK's were originally made by Daimler Chrysler, I don't like to count Cerbus but, Nemo was made by them, Rusty is made by AMC and our new Commando is made by Kaiser. :yup:

It's so ugly it's beautiful !!

Congrats you jerks !

You got that right!! Thanks :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats!

Hands down my all time favorite Jeeps are Commandos.

Yeah, we've been wanting one for a very long time and are so glad that we were able to find this one. :yup:

Nice find. Makes me miss my 67 & 69. At least power brakes were added. It doesn't look like you have power steering on it. If your interested in the bracket and gearbox pm me. I still have a few boxes of stuff from mine. Here's a picture of when my jeep decided it wanted to go over the side of the trail instead of up the trail. Great find View attachment 157346

Very cool, I still need to go through the Jeep and figure out what I want to do with it but, I will for sure keep you in mind, thank you.

Awesome find! You have a great collection going for sure!

Thanks! I hope to add more to it someday :cool:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

You need a 44 GPW. That is the ultimate center piece if anyone's collection

Top Bottom