Camping Equipment

dwvninety

Part of my bucket list is to make the Rubicon run with the WAL crew. I have pm'ed Eddie on the lifts, tires, and other equipment needed. I have purchased the EVO Enforcer lift, EVO drag flip kit, EVO C2 Axle Gussets, EVO front control arm skids, Rancho RS9000XL (as recomended by Eddie in one of his post, the rest recommended by him) and by watching his great video's I was able to see what Moby and Rubicat was running. I got my self a Warn PowerPlant, I have the EVO 1/4 front bumper ordered and in the next month or so the EVO rock slider, 35" tires and tire carrier.

What I need help on is what kind of tent do you need in the Rubicon. I already have a RTT and and Awning with a room enclosure, but I am convinced it will not last at the Rubicon trails. What are most people using (kind and brand) and why? I have tried a hammock but always end up with back pain an a crick in the neck so that rules it out. I would hate to pm Eddie again for such trivial questions so please help me out on those that have run that trail. Thank you.

07JKSahara

Coleman 4 man tent. It's about 10 years old.

Time of year matters a lot. For summer any good quality tent will work, it gets chilly at night at that altitude. A 32* bag is what I use, and air mattress, because well... Sleeping on rocks sucks.

Also a camping stove would be a good buy.

Trail JK

You'll finds lots of threads on camping gear. Below is one on tents.

The Rubicon doesn't require any specific camping gear/tent. Just whatever is the right fit for you and your family. Unless you plan on going when there is weather then I guess you would need to account for that.

If you have some extra funds a couple of nice adds would be the ARB fridge/freezer and a camp kitchen set up like the ones at REI.

Hope that helps!

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=24622

JAGS

Hooked
Just about any decent 3-season tent will do. Will depend on how many you need to sleep. Of premium is always space in the jeep, so consider a tent that packs small and is also still easy to set up....in case you are doing so in the dark. A nice sleep pad will also do wonders as will a good sleeping bag.

Your other needs will be cook and campfire stuff. You can pick up everything at places like big5, REI, Amazon or even Walmart on the basics.

There are some threads on this if you search camping essentials, pack lists and similar topics.

dwvninety

Thanks for the info. I already have an ARB Fridge, air mat and camp stove. I was just worried about the tent since most of the Rubicon (video's Eddie has posted) is mostly rocks so I was just wondering what kind of tent I need to have since staking it on the ground will probably be too hard unless the WAL group camps at a location where tent stakes can be used. I was planning on signing up next year when Eddie post up the run.

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Thanks for the info. I already have an ARB Fridge, air mat and camp stove. I was just worried about the tent since most of the Rubicon (video's Eddie has posted) is mostly rocks so I was just wondering what kind of tent I need to have since staking it on the ground will probably be too hard unless the WAL group camps at a location were tent stakes can be used. I was planning on signing up next year when Eddie post up the run.

You are overthinking it. Get a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress or cot. Call it a day.

I took my 6 person condo with a cot and a bag. Staked it in the ground. Very comfortable. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438666048.916956.jpg

07JKSahara

Thanks for the info. I already have an ARB Fridge, air mat and camp stove. I was just worried about the tent since most of the Rubicon (video's Eddie has posted) is mostly rocks so I was just wondering what kind of tent I need to have since staking it on the ground will probably be too hard unless the WAL group camps at a location were tent stakes can be used. I was planning on signing up next year when Eddie post up the run.

Most of rubicon springs has dirt. If not, just weight down your tent, it won't fly away ;)

JAGS

Hooked

The area at the springs, you're able to stake.

Trail JK

Yep what Jags said. The smaller the space needed the better. I have a couple but this one is compact and I've only heard great things about it.

Kelty Trail Ridge 3 Tent
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438666085.090821.jpg .

dwvninety

You are overthinking it. Get a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress or cot. Call it a day.

I took my 6 person condo with a cot and a bag. Staked it in the ground. Very comfortable. View attachment 157626

Sweet. That's the picture I need. Wife was stressing out (she's a planner) and I can show her this picture. I think we have everything else we need for camping. This is going to be my first real off road trip with the Jeep so I am trying to adjust into packing light as the Jeep does not have a lot of space as my other rig.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Sweet. That's the picture I need. Wife was stressing out (she's a planner) and I can show her this picture. I think we have everything else we need for camping. This is going to be my first real off road trip with the Jeep so I am trying to adjust into packing light as the Jeep does not have a lot of space as my other rig.

Do yourself a favor and go wheeling before you tackle the rubicon. It's relentless and will challenge you every step of the way. Get your feet wet before you jump in.

JAGS

Hooked

I took my 6 person condo with a cot and a bag. Staked it in the ground. Very comfortable. View attachment 157626

You took up 4 camp sites with that thing. 😉 lol. 😂😂😂

Do yourself a favor and go wheeling before you tackle the rubicon. It's relentless and will challenge you every step of the way. Get your feet wet before you jump in.

Totally agree. Get a good understanding of how your jeep feels on different trails. Even running a lot of trails stock will be helpful. The rubicon isn't the toughest trail out there, but it tests even the moderate to very experienced drivers.

Last edited:

Rccrwlr

Even just go camping in the back yard. Figure out how it all goes together and what you need and don't.

dwvninety

I have only done local OHV park in the Jeep as its still stock (waiting on upgrades to arrive as I just started ordering them after consulting with Eddie) I have had it for over a year just getting to know and learn how it drives.

I have done Arches National Park, Hotel Rock, Needles, Elephant Hill, Maze, MOAB, Grand Mesa, Han's Peak, Big Bend, Hidden Falls etc with my other rig but none of it looks as challenging as the Rubicon. I really don't know were I can go wheeling short of the Rubicon that will get me prepared for the Rubicon.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I have only done local OHV park in the Jeep as its still stock (waiting on upgrades to arrive as I just started ordering them after consulting with Eddie) I have had it for over a year just getting to know and learn how it drives.

I have done Arches National Park, Hotel Rock, Needles, Elephant Hill, Maze, MOAB, Grand Mesa, Han's Peak, Big Bend, Hidden Falls etc with my other rig but none of it looks as challenging as the Rubicon. I really don't know were I can go wheeling short of the Rubicon that will get me prepared for the Rubicon.

When you said it would be your first wheeling trip with your Jeep, I understood that to mean you have never wheeled your jeep? :idontknow:

Top Bottom