Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

I'm glad to hear that this post has been helpful to you. I've had a few people ask me about how much it would cost to put something like this together and what I can tell you is that companies like WARN offer a kit that costs about $400.

19025-lg.jpg

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92115_51.htm

So you know, you can definitely piece something together for less but, aside from a shovel, this kit is pretty complete. Also, I know there were some on Facebook who thought that I was crazy for including a chain in my recovery bag but, as you can see, WARN includes one in theirs too. The way I see it, if you don't like it - don't use it.

Yep! The first mod I made was the recovery mod. No winch yet, but have full recovery kit and hi lift extreme. Also have a cb as part of safety/communication kit.

Read about this here an project jk several months ago when I got my jeep.

Great advice and highly recommend getting all you can afford on eddies list and the save for the rest.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

Just another tool in the toolbox...

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    So you know, you can definitely piece something together for less but, aside from a shovel, this kit is pretty complete. Also, I know there were some on Facebook who thought that I was crazy for including a chain in my recovery bag but, as you can see, WARN includes one in theirs too. The way I see it, if you don't like it - don't use it.
    Like you said, it is not always a first choice maybe even a second...

I work as a career firefighter and one of phrases we use often in training is, "It's just another tool in the toolbox". Usually we are speaking metaphorically about a technique or a certain method etc.

However in this case, it's a literal translation!
    ECTO / 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon --- (non-Jeep) RIOTT / 1997 Chevrolet Z71

Thanks for the excellent article. The recovery bag is a really good item for my Christmas wish list.
    The journey through life is long and rough, take plenty of beer.

The first time offroading all I had was a tire gauge....NOW, I have a complete arsenal of shit I carry EVERYWHERE!
    Lifted, Locked, 37's, and a lot of etc.

Awesome thread for sure this gets overlooked all the time!!!

Fresh Catch
    Great advice... You need to be able to help yourself as best as possible.

RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

I saw some of the negative reviews some people said. In any sense, overkill is looked at as overkill until somebody needs it...then all of a sudden you're a savior.

-Molon labe-

RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

I would like to suggest taking the time to get familiar with what's in your kit and how to use it. This last weekend we were in the snow with one stock unlimited stuck, another member hooked a strap on to pull him out, some members had him tighten up the slack before pulling, all he did is get himself stuck. I backed up pulled the first jeep, they tried to have me pull up the slack, I knew better, left a bit of slack had him start going then gave a small tug and out he came. I'm going to make a point to make sure the club practice's a bit next time out.

Don't let fear and common sense hold you back
    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I'm either out jeepin' or perparing to go out jeepin'!

Quote Originally Posted by JK-UTE View Post
    Great advice... You need to be able to help yourself as best as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donttread View Post
    I saw some of the negative reviews some people said. In any sense, overkill is looked at as overkill until somebody needs it...then all of a sudden you're a savior.

-Molon labe-
    Glad to see this thread get revived again! Had it not been for having a complete, well maintained set of recovery gear (I have the ARB version of the Warn kit Wayolife posted pictures of above) there is almost no way we would have gotten EVOJEEP back on his wheels last Saturday. Fortunately we had the right gear, and more importantly, knew how to use it properly. All of which made this a pretty darn easy task to get my rig back on all fours and finish the weekend run. Unfortunately this is not the first overturned vehicle I have helped to put back on its tires.

If you don't know about self-recovery;
    1) at a minimum go buy a book
    2) take a recovery class at a Jeep Jamboree or Expo
    3) get involved out on the trail when people need help.
    4) buy a block/pulley and use it! Don't wait for that "really hard pull/recovery" to get mechanical advantage. Use your pulley to save wear and tear on everything.

Somehow learn how to get yourself out of bad situations safely, then break your gear out of its packing and wrappers, practice setting it up, make sure everything works, and do some mock-recovery drills. It's never a good time to learn how to do when it's the real thing!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
    EVO Long Arm w/Envy Links
    EVO Front Double Throw Down
    EVO Lever Rear w/Double Throw Down
    Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's f/r
    PSC hydraulic ram assist
    Mastercraft Baja RS seats
    J.E. Reel 1350 drive shafts
    ATX Slab wheels
    40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast