RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
main.php

If there's one question I get asked all the time from new Jeepers it's, “what’s the first mod I should do to my Jeep?” And, my answer to them is always the same, “recovery gear”. Fact of the matter is, whether you’re new to the world of off-roading with a right off the show room floor stock Jeep, or a long time veteran with a highly modified built up trail rig, everyone gets into a jam sooner or later.

Tow Points
At the top of the list of things that every Jeeper should have, it's tow hooks, D-ring mounts or some kind of recovery point (like a hitch receiver) on the front and rear of their Jeep. A good tow hook or recovery point will bolt directly to your Jeep’s frame or to an aftermarket heavy duty steel bumper that's been reinforced to act as a frame crossmember. Without this basic and very affordable modification to your Jeep, you won’t be able to help anybody get out of a jam let alone get yourself out if needed.

Factory Jeep JK Wrangler Tow Hook
main.php

Universal Hitch Receiver Shackle
main.php

Tow Strap
Now, a tow point is pretty useless without if you don't have anything to pull or be pulled with and so, the next piece of recovery that every Jeeper should have with them at all times is a tow strap. A good tow strap should be at least 20-30 feet long, have NO metal hooks or clips on it (these are extremely dangerous and should never be used) and has a pulling capacity about twice the weight of your Jeep. In the case of something like a Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited which weighs a little over 5,000 lbs., I would recommend a strap that has a breaking strength rating of least 10,000 lbs. or more. For me, I use a 30 ft. ARB Snatch Strap that has a 100% nylon webbing construction, reinforced eyes, a genuine stretch of 20%, and a breaking strength of 8,000 kg or 17,640 lbs., basically, more than enough for a big heavy built up Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited. What I like about the ARB Snatch Straps is that they come with a unique safety warning indicator built into them and signals you if your strap ever gets overloaded. Of course, any strap that meets the grade is better than nothing.

main.php

Tree Saver
In addition to a tow strap, I would highly recommend that you get and carry a tree saver as well. Similar to a tow strap, a good tree saver will be a lot shorter and, as it’s name suggests, is used to wrap around trees that you intend to use as an anchor point. Doing this will help protect the tree from the kind of severe damage that can occur from wrapping a winch cable or recovery chain directly to it. For my purposes, I carry an ARB Tree Truck Protector which has a 3″ webbing made out of 100% polyester and has a breaking strenght of 12000kg/26,000 lbs.

main.php

D-Ring Shackles
Because they are extremely strong and can be separated with ease, a good pair of 3/4" D-Ring shackles is a must have in any recovery bag. D-Ring shackles are great for safely linking a strap to the frame of a vehicle, securing a snatch block to an ARB Tree Trunk Protector and they will give you more options when helping to recover another vehicle or when getting the help from them.

main.php

Snatch Block
For those of you who have a winch, I would highly recommend that you carry a good snatch block. Essentially a big pulley, a snatch block will allow you to double your winch's capacity if more pulling power is needed and, give you more winching options as well. Attached to a fixed point like a tree or vehicle, you can also use a snatch block as a vector point to triangulate your pull. This option can be especially useful in areas that are difficult to find solid ground or where obsticals and/or terrain prevent you from establishing a safe straight pull.

main.php

Recovery Chain
While it wouldn't be my first choice of things to use, I do carry a short heavy duty recovery chain as it will offer more options when helping to recover a vehicle that has no tow hooks or built in tow points. In a situation like this, a chain can be hooked or wrapped around a secure part of a vehicles frame and then be used as a tow point.

main.php

Gloves
A good pair of leather gloves is something everyone should carry especially if you’re still running a steel wire rope on your winch. Gloves do a great job of helping you to have a better grip on your equipment, protect your hands from rope burns and help prevent steel splinters from lancing you when handling wire winch rope.

main.php

Shovel
Sometimes, the smartest way to get yourself out of a jam is to just do a little digging and because of this, I always carry a small collapsable shovel with me. It may not be the most effective tool but, it's better than using your hands.

main.php

Recovery Bag
Last but not least, having something to carry all your recovery gear is in my opinion, a must. If you can keep everything together and in one bag or container, it'll make it easier for you to remember to pack in your Jeep and ensure you always have it with you.

main.php

Recovery gear is an investment that every Jeeper should make. Isn't just a good idea to have, it's often required equipment on most organized runs and one that I can almost guarantee will pay for itself time and time again. :yup:

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Sound advice. Have all but the chain. In case people don't know ARB sells recovery bags with most of this stuff already in it, as do several of the popular vendors.

JaySC

Good stuff...thanks for the advice. It really helps people like me who don't know very much and want to learn.

Jersey_Devil

Great write up! I got the HiLift recovery kit and built off that with snatch block, 30' strap and tree saver.... Few other lil trinkets too! All offroad necessities covered!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad to hear that this post has been helpful to you. I've had a few people ask me about how much it would cost to put something like this together and what I can tell you is that companies like WARN offer a kit that costs about $400.

19025-lg.jpg

So you know, you can definitely piece something together for less but, aside from a shovel, this kit is pretty complete. Also, I know there were some on Facebook who thought that I was crazy for including a chain in my recovery bag but, as you can see, WARN includes one in theirs too. The way I see it, if you don't like it - don't use it.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Yep! The first mod I made was the recovery mod. No winch yet, but have full recovery kit and hi lift extreme. Also have a cb as part of safety/communication kit.

Read about this here an project jk several months ago when I got my jeep.

Great advice and highly recommend getting all you can afford on eddies list and the save for the rest.

RockIt Man

Just another tool in the toolbox...

So you know, you can definitely piece something together for less but, aside from a shovel, this kit is pretty complete. Also, I know there were some on Facebook who thought that I was crazy for including a chain in my recovery bag but, as you can see, WARN includes one in theirs too. The way I see it, if you don't like it - don't use it.

Like you said, it is not always a first choice maybe even a second...

I work as a career firefighter and one of phrases we use often in training is, "It's just another tool in the toolbox". Usually we are speaking metaphorically about a technique or a certain method etc.

However in this case, it's a literal translation!:yup:

1BAMFR

The first time offroading all I had was a tire gauge....NOW, I have a complete arsenal of shit I carry EVERYWHERE!

Donttread

I saw some of the negative reviews some people said. In any sense, overkill is looked at as overkill until somebody needs it...then all of a sudden you're a savior.

-Molon labe-

TrailBear

I would like to suggest taking the time to get familiar with what's in your kit and how to use it. This last weekend we were in the snow with one stock unlimited stuck, another member hooked a strap on to pull him out, some members had him tighten up the slack before pulling, all he did is get himself stuck. I backed up pulled the first jeep, they tried to have me pull up the slack, I knew better, left a bit of slack had him start going then gave a small tug and out he came. I'm going to make a point to make sure the club practice's a bit next time out.

Don't let fear and common sense hold you back:)
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GCM 2

Great advice... You need to be able to help yourself as best as possible.

I saw some of the negative reviews some people said. In any sense, overkill is looked at as overkill until somebody needs it...then all of a sudden you're a savior.

-Molon labe-

Glad to see this thread get revived again! Had it not been for having a complete, well maintained set of recovery gear (I have the ARB version of the Warn kit Wayolife posted pictures of above) there is almost no way we would have gotten EVOJEEP back on his wheels last Saturday. Fortunately we had the right gear, and more importantly, knew how to use it properly. All of which made this a pretty darn easy task to get my rig back on all fours and finish the weekend run. Unfortunately this is not the first overturned vehicle I have helped to put back on its tires.

If you don't know about self-recovery;
1) at a minimum go buy a book
2) take a recovery class at a Jeep Jamboree or Expo
3) get involved out on the trail when people need help.
4) buy a block/pulley and use it! Don't wait for that "really hard pull/recovery" to get mechanical advantage. Use your pulley to save wear and tear on everything.

Somehow learn how to get yourself out of bad situations safely, then break your gear out of its packing and wrappers, practice setting it up, make sure everything works, and do some mock-recovery drills. It's never a good time to learn how to do when it's the real thing!

Attachments

• image-3264747709.jpg
    image-3264747709.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 1,229
  • image-426377830.jpg
    image-426377830.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,217
  • image-943535679.jpg
    image-943535679.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 1,239
Top Bottom