Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

Yep! Just got my recovery hooks in the mail today from a fellow JK Forum member! (front and rear) Why a JKU with locking diff and elect-disconnect would be built without them I have no idea..... Now, problem solved! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359185530.262154.jpg

RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

Nice!

I was literally beginning to make a list of the things I needed for the beginning of the trailing season... You saved me some time

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2013 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    • 3.6L V6 24-Valve VVT Engine
    • 5-Speed Automatic W5A580 Transmission
    • White
    • Black Interior
    • Media Center 130 CD/MP3
    • Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows
    • Front & Rear Floor Mats
    • Power Convenience Group
    • Tow Package
    • Hard Top

Banned
    i have the ARB Premium Recovery Kit...its a little pricey but well worth the investment! came with everything needed in the strap department plus d-rings, gloves and a great snatch block, the bag is even large enough for an extra pair of gloves, winch remote and my throw away "home depot" tow strap. i would never leave home with plans to hit any trail without my recovery bag,
    that shovel that Eddie showed in the pic (E Tool in the army) velcro's nicely across the c pillar cross bar with a couple of velcro straps to be out of the way but still accessible and secure when loaded with gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Donttread View Post
    I saw some of the negative reviews some people said. In any sense, overkill is looked at as overkill until somebody needs it...then all of a sudden you're a savior.
    -Molon labe-
    So true!!

That's the first thing I bought. The wife kept asking why I needed all that stuff, I said, "I don't want to be that guy on the news found dead next to his Jeep because I didn't have something that I should have had." That includes the above stated equipment plus tire repair kit, 12 volt compressor, MRE's, 5 gal Gott water cooler and either my Ruger Mini-14 or my Remington 870 Express. I don't carry the water cooler or firearms around town.

Knows a Thing or Two BlackKnight's Avatar
    Going to be picking up one of the ARB recovery kits once I get the Rig, Looks to have just about everything you need.

Tow Strap, tree strap, Winch extension strap(?), cable dampener, gloves, 2 shackles, snatch block, all in one of their large recovery bags.
    Last edited by BlackKnight; 05-23-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Yeah the ARB kit is a nice setup, one of the first things I picked up after getting the jeep.

Fresh Catch
    Great article! I agree with everything.... BUT

D-Ring shackles are great for safely linking tow straps together
    Linking two straps together with a d-ring is extremely dangerous and is cause for more than one wheeling death over the years. Two straps should NEVER be put together using a d-ring, if that strap was to come off the tow point or if a strap was to break that d-ring is going to become a projectile potentially killing someone if it hits them! Google it, I am sure you will find stories!

The best way to put two straps together is with a wooden dowel or stick, hell even a newspaper stuck in between will work

Happy and SAFE wheeling!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4PLAY View Post
    Great article! I agree with everything.... BUT

Linking two straps together with a d-ring is extremely dangerous and is cause for more than one wheeling death over the years. Two straps should NEVER be put together using a d-ring, if that strap was to come off the tow point or if a strap was to break that d-ring is going to become a projectile potentially killing someone if it hits them! Google it, I am sure you will find stories!
    IF you do not secure your tow strap to a solid point on the frame and in a way that it can't come off, yes, you are correct, this can be dangerous. IF you are using a cheap, under rated or worn out strap, yes, there is a potential for it to break making the d-ring a dangerous projectile. IF you Google it, you can find just about anything you want including how a tow hook or even entire bumper can get ripped off a Jeep and become a lethal projectile. But hey, what do I know.

BTW, welcome to WAYALIFE

It's funny, most people come on to a forum like this and make their first post to talk about their Jeep and how much they love the forum. Of course, you came on here digging up old posts just to tell people how they are right or wrong about tow straps or snatch straps and even took the time to point them to YouTube videos you've made.

You my friend are clearly here to promote your own agenda and believe it or not, I have a rule for that:
    http://wayalife.com/faq.php?faq=waya..._promoteagenda

You wanna leave on your own or do I need to show you the door?

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast