Coast front driveline info

Can someone running a Coast front driveline on a JK tell me how much slip-shaft spline is showing at ride height?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Can someone running a Coast front driveline on a JK tell me how much slip-shaft spline is showing at ride height?

There was just a similar thread regarding a Reel shaft and the answer came down that no splines should be showing. Maybe it is different on a Coast, but with splines showing, I would think it would be hard for the seal to maintain grease.

There was just a similar thread regarding a Reel shaft and the answer came down that no splines should be showing. Maybe it is different on a Coast, but with splines showing, I would think it would be hard for the seal to maintain grease.
I saw that. According to NR4x4, the Coast are spec'd differently for length. You dont have to provide a length measurement for coast they said. I guess they build in a long enough slip shaft or something. Idk. Ive got a bunch showing though.

I saw that. According to NR4x4, the Coast are spec'd differently for length. You dont have to provide a length measurement for coast they said. I guess they build in a long enough slip shaft or something. Idk. Ive got a bunch showing though.

Edit: just found out from NR that the DS from Coast has a long-travel, 9" slip.

easiest thing to do if you are concerned about spline engagement is to unbolt from the diff and slide it out so you can see how much spline you have. anything more than 3" and you are good.

thechrisjones

My coast front drive shaft actually came off this weekend while driving 70 plus MPH think due to Ubolt not torqued enough. I got it sitting in my garage. When I get home tonight I will gladly take pictures of mine for you. It's for a JKU ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438801081.233439.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438801695.519303.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

About this much...
main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My coast front drive shaft actually came off this weekend while driving 70 plus MPH think due to Ubolt not torqued enough. I got it sitting in my garage. When I get home tonight I will gladly take pictures of mine for you. It's for a JKU

Really?? You felt the need to post up these jacked up pics of your drive shaft that you installed incorrectly in a thread asking for how much splines should be showing on a Coast drive shaft? :naw:

So that we're all on the same page, u-bolts only need about 20 ft. lbs. of torque. You can EASILY over do this with just a standard box wrench. Your problem was that you DID NOT apply red lock tite to the threads during install LIKE YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DO and that most likely caused the nuts to come loose. your problem was 100% install error and I find it distasteful that you would post up these pics on a thread like this to create fear, uncertainty and doubt. :naw:

mikefishes

About this much...
main.php

So awesome you just posted this! I saw another thread (the other day here in the forum) where a different brand was thought to have too much of the splines showing. I have a coast ds as well, and when I saw my splines showing a similar amount to yours I thought something might be screwed up. Mine is new enough that the splines are still sporting the blue paint/ lube on them and I seriously considered pulling it off. Good info and I am glad it's supposed to show like that. Thanks Eddie

jeeeep

Hooked
So that we're all on the same page, u-bolts only need about 20 ft. lbs. of torque. You can EASILY over do this with just a standard box wrench.

x2 on the torque for a 1350; a 1310 is 17 ft. lbs.

if they are too tight it can cause the cap to distort and will cause it to fail.

Top Bottom