Cooper Discoverer STT PRO Above the Treeline

Discount Tire

lg.cop.logo.gif

IMG_3417_zps0auhgqlr.jpg

We put Cooper's new Discoverer STT PRO through the paces this past week on the scenic trails of Ouray, CO at the 9th Annual FJ Summit sponsored by Discount Tire. Those of you that have been to Ouray know that the terrain can change from one corner to the next and high altitude passes demand tires that don't slip. To us, it's a great location to put some new rubber to the test. As an added challenge, it rained nearly every day at the event so our Discoverer STT PRO equipped 2WD Tacoma had it's work cut out, or so we thought anyway.

IMG_3719-X2_zpslrjhdhag.jpg

The silica infused rubber compound provided the necessary grip on wet rocks and the asymmetrical scallops on alternating lugs, combined with the optimized 3-2 tread pattern, delivered solid traction and clean out in the slop. That said, we did find one spot on Imogene Pass that required us to get a little tug (the S-turn towards the top of the trail). The combination of slippery mud, tight turns, 2WD, and an incline was just enough to hold us up. If we would have had 4WD we would have pulled right through it.

IMG_3586-X3_zpses2llr8s.jpg

In addition, we put approximately 1,000 highway miles on this tire making our way to and from Ouray. The tires tracked well down the road and were responsive to our steering input. There was some road noise present, but this is to be expected from an aggressive tire like this; with the windows up and the radio on, we quickly forgot about any tire noise.

We think Cooper hit the nail on the head with the STT PRO and it is an excellent option to consider for the enthusiast who spends a decent amount of time off-road but still needs on-road reliability and handling. If you're running a set of Discoverer STT PRO tires let us know what you think here; we, as well as Cooper, would love to hear from you.

Click image for 1001x1001 view

Click here for: Cooper Discoverer STT PRO Pricing and Availability

Key Features

• 50% more protection against impact damage than standard two-ply tires through “ARMOR-TEK3®” Carcass Protection
  • Maximum mud traction enabled by asymmetrical scallops on alternating lugs
  • Maintains excellent surface contact on loose terrain while increasing stability and reduced road noise through staggered 3-2 tread pattern
  • Delivers improved wet grip with silca enriched rubber compounding

STTPRO_zps652ggpyx.jpg

*weights shown above are of approximate value

For additional write-ups on the Cooper Discoverer STT PRO, check out the links below.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Seriously considering this tire as im looking for a set of 37s. Just curious to why as the 12.5" wide is more expensive than the 13.5". Load range maybe? Very fair price for a nice aggressive looking tire

Discount Tire

Thanks for the comments, guys.

@GregMort13 - I double checked and the 37" pricing is correct. Let us know when you're ready to pull the trigger and we'll take care of you :thumb:

ski313

Just ordered a set of these with my rims. Odd question, but will discount tire mount them with white lettering on inside right? I didn't specify when I ordered. Thanks for your help discount tire.

Discount Tire

Just ordered a set of these with my rims. Odd question, but will discount tire mount them with white lettering on inside right? I didn't specify when I ordered. Thanks for your help discount tire.

Thank you for the support, ski313 and yes, we can mount the tires with the white letters to the inside. Just make sure you let the representative you speak with at the store know which way you want the tires mounted :yup:

ski313

They are being shipped to me already mounted. Thank you, I will call my salesman back and let him know my preference.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I was in Discount tire in Bakersfield a week or two ago and the sales guy show me this tire. He was very helpful at what I was looking to spend and what I wanted the look to be.

Looks like I'll be running it on my old FC when I'm ready to pull the trigger!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441378042.131909.jpg

Discount Tire

I'll look at the costs but am afraid the freight + taxes are prohibitive......many thanks guys.:clap2:

You may also try contacting Cooper Tire's Europe division directly to see if they have any insight with regard to availability in your region. Here's the link to their contact page.

http://www.coopertire.co.uk/cooper-world/contact-us

I was in Discount tire in Bakersfield a week or two ago and the sales guy show me this tire. He was very helpful at what I was looking to spend and what I wanted the look to be.

Looks like I'll be running it on my old FC when I'm ready to pull the trigger!

View attachment 163493

Right on! Looking forward to your thoughts on this tire.

Last edited:

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
You may also try contacting Cooper Tire's Europe division directly to see if they have any insight with regard to availability in your region. Here's the link to their contact page.

http://www.coopertire.co.uk/cooper-world/contact-us

So far the local Cooper agent hasn't got any clue, I had already checked with them. Europes new legislation on 3 tier road noises coming from tires is going to make things really tough with mud tires here so I guess Cooper and others will have to take that into account (they may have already) when designing tires. We, in europe, might have to wait for the next generation as manufacturers will have to take that into account or import them with a hefty premium and risk roadside hassles with the cops.

Top Bottom