Tapered Bolt Head "Protectors"

scull20

Hi Gang,

I just got finished installing the ProTek skids on my '14 JKUR today. While doing the install, nearly all of the exposed bolt heads that need to be removed and reused for the skids had a damaged corner(s) or edges that were rolled over to the point where it was difficult to put a socket or wrench on them.

Once I finally got them off I "repaired" them with an angle grinder and hammer so I could get a socket over the top.

Looking to prevent this from occurring in the future, I was curious if anyone has had any success with these tapered bolt head "protectors" (example below).

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439069567.359546.jpg

Thanks for the input.

-Ryan

mackey

They look pretty sweet. Just don't know how they would handle if smashed against a rock. The hopes is the design would allow the rock the slide off of them and not damage the bolt. The fear is they get pressed against the bolt, making removal very difficult. Would want to hear from someone who has them and wheeled them. Who has used them???

BertaNation

I actually just got a rock hard 4x4 skid and these bolt protectors are very heavy duty. I can't speak from the Performance side yet

mackey

I actually just got a rock hard 4x4 skid and these bolt protectors are very heavy duty. I can't speak from the Performance side yet

So this is what we need you to do. Install them, find the biggest rocks around and smash your jeep, with the installed protectors against the rocks over and over and over again. Then give a full detailed report, including pictures. Perfect plan. :)

scull20

Good luck getting a socket when those get banged up.

I hadn't thought of that.

...and now that you mention it, the only option I had to remove the damaged bolts was to use a wrench and hope to be able to get it on a side that wasn't dented/rolled over.

That being said...I might be stuck between a rock and a hard place in getting the bolt off if it happens to get damaged with the tapered "protector" around it with not being able to get a wrench in there.

JeepJeep75

What do you guys think about using these on hammered bolts?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439083404.488484.jpg
Cheapos, or
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439083419.209962.jpg
Not cheapos... Thoughts on using these on the really bashed ones?

OJK12

Usually of the bolt is hammered up pretty good I just weld a nut to the bolt head and bam, brand new bolt to use!

rsmwrangler

I've been looking at different skid setups for a while, and I keep coming back to the rock hard ones because of the way the bolts are guarded. I think I'll go with a set from them.

0311DoC

Hi Gang,

I just got finished installing the ProTek skids on my '14 JKUR today. While doing the install, nearly all of the exposed bolt heads that need to be removed and reused for the skids had a damaged corner(s) or edges that were rolled over to the point where it was difficult to put a socket or wrench on them.

Once I finally got them off I "repaired" them with an angle grinder and hammer so I could get a socket over the top.

Looking to prevent this from occurring in the future, I was curious if anyone has had any success with these tapered bolt head "protectors" (example below).

View attachment 158440

Thanks for the input.

-Ryan

Since your bolts were banged up what did you replace them with so they fit? I been trying for a week to find the stock size bolts.

BobNH

It is far easier to remove a banged up bolt than a bolt in a banged up protector. Now maybe if they made a much larger opening around the bolt head, it would have more room to collapse without preventing a socket being attached.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

scull20

I had the bolt size and thread pitch written down somewhere at one point. There was a local mom and pop hardware store that had them stocked actually...but only 1 or 2. I've just been hitting the heads with a grinder to get the socket to fit after eat trip.

JeepJeep75

I had the bolt size and thread pitch written down somewhere at one point. There was a local mom and pop hardware store that had them stocked actually...but only 1 or 2. I've just been hitting the heads with a grinder to get the socket to fit after eat trip.

This is what I do, except, I use a file on my bolts. Only takes a minute to get the mangled bolt-head back into shape. I agree about the ease of getting a banged up bolt out, rather than fighting with a banged up protector. The jeep is heavy, and scraping its belly on rocks is gonna mangle anything and everything that makes contact.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
what size did you order. I have been seeing different sizes with my internet searches?

Sorry - I didn't have to order these particular bolts from them. I meant I have in the past gone to Fastenal with bolts and they either had them or ordered them & I had in a day or 2. I use Amazon if I know what size I need

0311DoC

Sorry - I didn't have to order these particular bolts from them. I meant I have in the past gone to Fastenal with bolts and they either had them or ordered them & I had in a day or 2. I use Amazon if I know what size I need

I finally found the bolts at mcfadden dale hardware

21584416_10155637693931322_259799094_o.jpg

jgraz

I finally found the bolts at mcfadden dale hardware

View attachment 275733

I was just on the hunt for these bolts. Found them at the local NAPA. Be advised though that the OEM bolts are actually M12x1.5x40mm, and Grade 10. Seems like the only place to get them is straight from MOPAR or through Morris. The ones I got at NAPA were Grade 8 and I moved to 50mm to cover the overall added thickness of the stacked skids.
Here is the link to the Mopar bolts
https://www.morris4x4center.com/mopar-hex-head-screw-washer-m12x1-5x40-0-6104444aa-m.html

Rottenbelly

I have the evo skid system and used the rock hard bolt protectors. So far they are holding up good. Only drug them across a few rocks so far.

Attachments

• 20171007_154718.jpg
    20171007_154718.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom