Suggestions for my Jeep

Helipilot2

Hey I am new to the whole Jeep world but love them. I have a 97 Cherokee 4.0HO. I have 6 inchers of lift with Ford 9 inch lockers front and rear and I am getting ready to stick some tires and wheels under it. I was thinking in the neighborhood of 33x10.5x15s, would this be a good size? With 12.5s I dont think I will have enough lbs per square inch

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Helipilot2 said:
Hey I am new to the whole Jeep world but love them. I have a 97 Cherokee 4.0HO. I have 6 inchers of lift with Ford 9 inch lockers front and rear and I am getting ready to stick some tires and wheels under it. I was thinking in the neighborhood of 33x10.5x15s, would this be a good size? With 12.5s I dont think I will have enough lbs per square inch

With as much lift as you have, you should be able to clear 33's no problem. You might even be able to get 35's under there - if you have a 2-door for sure.

Helipilot2

I know I can clear 33s, I had 34 inch super swampers under it. I am more concerned width size, you see tons of people with 12.5s but with as light as the Cherokee is I would think a narrower tire for rock crawling would be more beneficial.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know I can clear 33s, I had 34 inch super swampers under it. I am more concerned width size, you see tons of people with 12.5s but with as light as the Cherokee is I would think a narrower tire for rock crawling would be more beneficial.

I'm sorry, I understand what you're asking now. Not sure why you would think that a narrower tire would be better for rock crawling as a bigger footprint would provide you with more traction and stability. I personally would go with the 12.50.

Helipilot2

With a 12.5 I would have less lbs per square inch on the tire which would theoretically give me less traction I would think. Is that not correct?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With a 12.5 I would have less lbs per square inch on the tire which would theoretically give me less traction I would think. Is that not correct?

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm understanding what your question. The whole idea is to air down your tires when you play on the rocks and if at all possible, as low as you can. When you air down, a tire with a bigger footprint will do a better job of wrapping around a rock like a glove as opposed to sitting on top of it like a wooden board with just a small patch of your tread making contact and, that will maximize the amount of traction it'll provide. Does that make sense?

Helipilot2

Ya that makes sense. I come from the mudding world so I guess I have lots of new stuff to learn haha. Thanks, with a 12.5 tire is there a preferable size wheel to go with?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ya that makes sense. I come from the mudding world so I guess I have lots of new stuff to learn haha. Thanks, with a 12.5 tire is there a preferable size wheel to go with?

Oh yeah, mudding is a different animal altogether. :crazyeyes:

With a 12.50 tire, I would recommend that you stick with an 8" wheel or there abouts unless it's a bead lock. The narrower width will help keep your bead seated when aired down. :yup:

Helipilot2

Alright perfect, I'm in the process of trying to sell my 34x9.5 super swampers so I can get better road/crawler tires. Hopefully they sell soon!

Top Bottom