New To jeeps need build advice

JRat

Hey everyone new to jeep dont even own one as of yet but i have a 2009 GMC sierra and its just not cutting it.
Not sure if i even posted this in the right place if not can someone tell me where I should. But as of now my truck will be sold very soon and a jeep will be taking its place. But here is the question i want a four door jeep but should i get a rubi or X/sport it will be an older jk used. So thats out of the way in about six months time I hope to drop about 30-35k on a build and want to know the best route to go I live on vancover island witch is and western BC in canada. but want a fully capable trail rig the first time. I plan on doing the rubicon someday.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Depends on what you want. If you want 35-37" tires I would get a rubicon as it will be well equipped from the factory. If you want to run 40's or bigger I think I would get a sport and then get some aftermarket axles and use those. I would also get a 2012 or 2013 as the 3.6L is a better motor. (from what I have read, I have not driven or rode in a 3.8L)

Tranquillity

If you want a fully capable right away get the rubi... Since it is a used one is there a big price difference between those two ? Have you considered getting a 2012+ ... might worth paying more for it.

Indefatigable

Knowing the local laws is key to the advise you receive here.

Alot of what I see on this site on JKs... would get you in trouble with the local police in BC really quick. Its not a matter of if you get a MVI, but when...

BC MVA states that the tire must be covered. Now I see alot of JKs with 35" tires that stick out a 1/2" or so and get away with it.... but trying to do like those in the US southern states with their fair weather laws, not going to happen here...

Hang out on your local forums and see what trails are there. Figure out what trails you have there and build it to do what you want on such trails.

Starting with a Rubicon may be the best way to start.

Rubicon Trail in a JKU with a decent lift and 35s... not a problem.

Don't over build, makes all the local stuff way too tame and no fun.

You can toss in a OME 4" kit, a set of 35" tires and see what you like. Build it from experience and your specific conditions.

From what I remember about island wheeling (I miss Sooke/Harbourview - been too long) low COG, lockers, gears, tires, ARMOUR, winch. Every Toyota had an exo cage.

JRat

Thanks everyone yea dont want any bigger then 37 and the newer jeeps are a fair bit more even used. I am going out with my buddy this weekend in his jeep to check out some trails so we will see how built i should really make this thing no point in throwing money away.

Top Bottom