N-Fab Nerf side rails.... Only for mall crawlers

daverawr

So why the topic title this ??? I have come to the conclusion you should only use these for mall crawling and nothing else besides that and maybe the beach.
So let's start the story.... I bought my 2011 JKU Rubicon with 14k miles used and they came with the Nfab Nerf steps ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439368760.796723.jpg

So fast forward 1 month and half. I decided to join a 101 class held at Hidden Falls Adventure park here in Texas. Which has a lot of Rock crawling and trails etc. so I took a look at my jeep and immediately thought the steps would give me trouble and get caught on the rocks or whatever. So I went to FB group to try and trade them + cash for better sliders. But couldn't find a trade.

Fast forward 3 days I said to myself instead of missing out on a great time and my real first wheeling opportunity I'll just go with them and see what happens... Well right away once we got on to the trail my night mare came to fruition.

Entrance to the first trail was between 2 big boulders while crossing over a smaller Boulder. (Easy trails 101 course) and with these steps it hindered my break away angle greatly. Giving me trouble on the entrance that others had no problems on. Even with my 35s and 2-2.5in lift.

Fast forward 30 min. We get to a spot with a bunch of rocks, big rocks small rocks.... Went through then came to a peculiar spot I was worried about and to get over one rock had to gas a bit and it was a drop from that one right into another. So I thought the sliders would do what they should do... Lol slide..... But instead.... You know what I'll let you see the damage for yourself..... Lol. But they dented and bent up straight instead of how they're were angled down..... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439369452.929534.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439369470.696090.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439369484.017822.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439369496.590509.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439369508.807811.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439369530.595503.jpg

So yeah... And this portion of the trail there were stock JK and JKU that made it through with just some pin striping from the trees but no body damage or slams. But I would've been better off with stock Rubi rails. So I will now be investing into Evo Mfg sliders and skins.

Conclusion. If you see these on your JK if you buy used... Take em off sell em and buy something better lol. Unless you like mall crawling.

bonedaddy

i had looked at these because my buddy put them on his Dodge and thought I should do the same, but I told him I was certain with the drop steps I would run into issues just as you did... I'm leaning towards the LOD personally - need a good slider, but also a step for the fam...

Thanks for posting - hopefully will save someone else some grief...

- Donnie

BertaNation

I haven't had any problems w mine but I also have not done any rock crawling. I have 2 trips coming up that will put them to the test. Personally I don't really care for them much. Mainly got them so my small children could climb into the jeep.

USMC Wrangler

I haven't had any problems w mine but I also have not done any rock crawling. I have 2 trips coming up that will put them to the test. Personally I don't really care for them much. Mainly got them so my small children could climb into the jeep.

Make them paracord ladders like this! Works great and out of the way when wheeling...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

daverawr

Damn that's not the flex you were hoping for.

EVO sliders are nice, you will not be disappointed.

Yeah haha deffinately the flex I wasn't wanting haha. I'll see a night and day difference with the Evo. I've watched every wayalife video with most of them using the evo sliders and was convinced.

i had looked at these because my buddy put them on his Dodge and thought I should do the same, but I told him I was certain with the drop steps I would run into issues just as you did... I'm leaning towards the LOD personally - need a good slider, but also a step for the fam...

Thanks for posting - hopefully will save someone else some grief...

- Donnie

The evo sliders if you order directly from them you can get in a custom angel that you can use them as a step. But the LOD is more meant for that. LOD was on my mind but I want a welded on one from what everyone says. More sturdy and don't have to worry about having checking bolts before going out wheeling

Yeah I didn't have any problems with them till then. And my gf needs a step. Which is why I will be ordering the Evo sliders directly from Evo and get the custom angel that will be like a step as well.

Top Bottom