Time for my JK to Evolve - Highoctane Anvil '15 Rubicon Unlimited build

highoctane

Caught the Bug
After buying my 2nd JK back in December and driving it stock for about 3k miles, it's time to finally start making it bigger and better. This is where I will document everything I do to the new Jeep. Many parts have already showed up, and still waiting on a bunch.

Still haven't 100% decided on a shop to do the build. I had planned on doing this myself but have decided instead to just have a pro do it, since my time at home from work would be better spent with my family than spending 80 hours working on the Jeep. I was looking at Cutting Edge 4x4 in Phoenix, but after getting a great quote I'll likely be dropping it off at Offroad Evolution to have the pros on this suspension install everything at their shop in Fullerton, CA. Either way, will be dropping the JK off when I get the time so you'll have to wait a few months to a year for the end results.

Build list

Suspension & Steering

Evo Mfg Double Throwdown front suspension
Evo Mfg Double Throwdown rear suspension w/Evo Lever
Evo Mfg High Clearance longarms
Evo Mfg ProRock60 high steer kit w/PSC hydro assist, and Dynatrac PR60 4140 high steer arms
King 2.0 Air Bumps for the rear suspension with Evo Mfg mounts.

Drivetrain

Dynatrac ProRock XD60 front axle - ARB locker, 5.38 gears, extreme duty 3.75" x 5/16" axle tube upgrade, 14.5" extreme duty brakes, Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints, and Dynaloc stub hubs.
Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear axle - ARB locker, 5.38 gears
JE Reel 1410 rear driveshaft
JE Reel 1350 front driveshaft

Body/Armor

Evo Mfg rocker armor
Evo Mfg corner armor
Evo Mfg tire carrier
Evo Mfg 1/4 pounder front bumper
Warn Powerplant
Evo Protek skid plates
Evo Mfg rear d-ring mounts and fascia
Rockhard sport cage

Wheels/Tires

17" x 9" ATX Slab beadlocks
40 x 13.50 x 17 Nitto Mud Grapplers

Plus quite a few other misc. things like cb, exhaust, soft top, maybe some Mastercraft Baja RS seats, harness bar, headlights, etc.

As it currently sits

Parts already here - Evo long arms, front King 2.0 coilovers, and King 2.5" triple bypass shocks. Mopar axles got delivered while I was at work in Afghanistan, and are in the storage unit. Need to open up the crates and check them out. Evo Lever, rear coilovers, rear bypass shocks, and air bumps will be here soon, hopefully next week.

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Got the backup camera working on the 430N RHB oem radio in my JK today. I followed a write-up I found on here, http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24422-Write-Up-Backup-Camera-Installation&highlight=camera. I used all the parts listed in that write-up, except the camera bracket, which I bought on Amazon. Cost me right at about $115 for everything.

Spliced the power wire for the camera into the passenger side back-up light wire with a soldering iron and rewrapped the wires for a clean install. Routed through the plug just behind the roll bar in the very aft R/H side of the Jeep.

Then ran the wires along the harness that goes to the tailgate. My OCD will probably have me reroute those wires to be inside the sleeve so that it looks a bit better.

Took the Jeep to my local dealer today to have the vehicle configuration updated to include the back-up camera sales code with StarScan. No charge which was surprising. Here is the finished product. I had to slightly bend the camera bracket to get the fwd edge of the red lines to be a good location of about 8" from obstacles.

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Busy day today. Got a few more misc things installed today.

TruckLite LED headlights. Previously had these installed for a day or so, but had to remove them when the dealer did a TCM tsb on my Jeep, because it was throwing a code for headlight voltage. Now time to leave them in. Love these lights!

Hot Head hardtop headliner. Very high quality and top notch product!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome!! Glad to see you finally starting on this project and I can't wait to see what your Jeeps looks like when it's all built up :thumb:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Is the hardtop headliner worth it?
Here in the summer AZ heat I can feel a difference. No longer feel heat radiating a few inches above my head after parking outside in the sun. Plus it seems like it quieted the interior down a bit.

Awesome!! Glad to see you finally starting on this project and I can't wait to see what your Jeeps looks like when it's all built up :thumb:

Thanks! I cannot WAIT until I get this suspension on and the major part of the build done.

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Well I come home from work again for a month off in 3 days. So you know what that means - MOAR JEEP PARTS! Even my 6 month old son is excited to see boxes with Evo tape! I'm still in Iraq right now but was able to get my wife send me a shot off all the boxes that have been piling up in the garage over the last 90 days.

My last major order back in August had the Evo Mfg High Clearance Long Arm kit and the Evo Mfg Double Throwdown front suspension with coilovers and triple bypass shocks. Well this pile has the Evo Mfg Evo Lever rear suspension with Double Throwdown coilovers and bypass shocks, Evo Rock Stops with King 2.0 Air Bumps, PSC Extreme Duty hydraulic steering assist kit with new steering box, Evo ProTek oil pan and auto trans skid, and somewhere in there is a Painless Performance Trail Rocker kit. :wings:

Now I just need cage,armor, bumper, winch, wheels, and tires. I might order the wheels/tires or bumper/armor from Evo this month. I had thought I 100% had the UD60 axles sold to buy PR XD60s but the local buyer fell through and dropped all contact, so the axles are still sitting in my storage shed. I might just go ahead and use them for now and upgrade to bigger and better if they give me issues.

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Thanks everyone. I'm really looking forward to getting time to install some more stuff on the Jeep when I get home.

jeeper52

LOSER
After buying my 2nd JK back in December and driving it stock for about 3k miles, it's time to finally start making it bigger and better. This is where I will document everything I do to the new Jeep. Many parts have already showed up, and still waiting on a bunch.

Still haven't 100% decided on a shop to do the build. I had planned on doing this myself but have decided instead to just have a pro do it, since my time at home from work would be better spent with my family than spending 80 hours working on the Jeep. I was looking at Cutting Edge 4x4 in Phoenix, but after getting a great quote I'll likely be dropping it off at Offroad Evolution to have the pros on this suspension install everything at their shop in Fullerton, CA. Either way, will be dropping the JK off when I get the time so you'll have to wait a few months to a year for the end results.

Build list

Suspension & Steering

Evo Mfg Double Throwdown front suspension
Evo Mfg Double Throwdown rear suspension w/Evo Lever
Evo Mfg High Clearance longarms
Currie Anti Rock rear sway bar
Evo Mfg Dana 60 steering kit w/PSC hydro assist
King 2.0 Air Bumps for the rear suspension with Evo Mfg mounts.

Drivetrain

Mopar Ultimate Dana 60 axles w/5.38 gears
JE Reel 1410 rear driveshaft
JE Reel 1350 front driveshaft

Body/Armor

Evo Mfg rocker armor
Evo Mfg corner armor
Evo Mfg tire carrier
LoD Offroad Signature Series front narrow width bumper w/stinger
Warn Powerplant
Evo Protek skid plates
Evo Mfg rear d-ring mounts and fascia
Rockhard sport cage

Wheels/Tires

17" ATX Chamber Pro II beadlocks
40x13.50x17 Nitto Mud Grapplers

Plus quite a few other misc. things like cb, exhaust, soft top, maybe some Mastercraft Baja RS seats, harness bar, headlights, etc.

As it currently sits

Parts already here - Evo long arms, front King 2.0 coilovers, and King 2.5" triple bypass shocks. Mopar axles got delivered while I was at work in Afghanistan, and are in the storage unit. Need to open up the crates and check them out. Evo Lever, rear coilovers, rear bypass shocks, and air bumps will be here soon, hopefully next week.

Nice build list!! Exactly the same as mine lol. I wanted to do the high steer like you but waited due to cost. What does it run btw?? Heres a couple pics of mine with the Mopars.
FYI i think you can get the Mopars with Arb's now.

Attachments

• 20151004_174905.jpg
    20151004_174905.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 1,205
  • 20151004_174949.jpg
    20151004_174949.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,187
  • 20151004_175256.jpg
    20151004_175256.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 20151004_175312.jpg
    20151004_175312.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,194

jeeper52

LOSER
Oh and if incase you decide to do the build yourself im more than happy to give you measurements off mine to to help you out.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Nice build list!! Exactly the same as mine lol. I wanted to do the high steer like you but waited due to cost. What does it run btw?? Heres a couple pics of mine with the Mopars. FYI i think you can get the Mopars with Arb's now.

I can get a set of high steer arms from Artec for around $300 shipped that will bolt right on. Then About the same for the heims, spacers, tie rod and drag link bars from Ruff Stuff. Then I just need the Evo Dana 60 steering kit mounts to mount it all to the axle.

dillard09

Yep you can get the UD60 with the ARB now. I know that East Coast Gear Supply will set them with ARB and whatever gear ratio you want. Not sure who else is dropping the ARB in them.

jeeper52

LOSER
I can get a set of high steer arms from Artec for around $300 shipped that will bolt right on. Then About the same for the heims, spacers, tie rod and drag link bars from Ruff Stuff. Then I just need the Evo Dana 60 steering kit mounts to mount it all to the axle.

Just rear the rest of your post. Why did you decide to sell the UD 60s?

Top Bottom