Olive Drab Green JKU - Prep Work Advice

Saharacon

So Ive been obsessed with this color for years now, I think it just looks totally bad ass when mixed with the right bumpers and fenders. So I figured since Monstaliner offers a decent product that'd Id giver them a shot. But not before learning every aspect of prepping this JK for paint.

http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm

So here I am, Asking advice on how to beeline my entire 25k Wrangler... seems a bit silly :rolleyes2:

When painting the doors how exactly do I take off the rubber surrounding for the windows? I don't want to paint over this and id have to peel it back to get a complete paint job.

Whats the best way to prep previous bedlined fenders? I assume sand down with a wheel and clean rust off as well.

Has anyone got any experience using Monstaliner? Im debating if i should role it or Spray it.

This could turn out awesome and leave a great new finish on my rig, or.... it'll ruin me lol. I just want to be sure I know what I'm doing.

Wonder if the local Plasti Dip shop would wanna try

Attachments

• plasti dip rubicon 6.jpg
    plasti dip rubicon 6.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 1373432682_bdb1d7de50_o.jpg
    1373432682_bdb1d7de50_o.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Military-Green-Jeep-Wrangler-by-CEC-Wheels-01.jpg
    Military-Green-Jeep-Wrangler-by-CEC-Wheels-01.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 182

Saharacon

If you look up S A Designs "How to Paint Your Car" book.....that'll tell you most all you need to know for prep and painting.
Cheap knowledge. :)

http://www.amazon.com/How-Paint-Your-Budget-Cartech/dp/1932494227

Well I was looking for more Jeep specific write ups. As in how to disassembly the door for painting and avoiding all the rubber weather seals, I think ill be able to just take each part off, Ie Hood, Doors, Fenders.
Paint the body with rolled on after prep then individual pieces

But ill give it a look and see what i can learn :beer:

jeeeep

Hooked
if you want to paint the entire jeep with Monstaliner you have to prep every nook and cranny that will get covered. You will want to remove the window rubber surrounds, you don't want to have any areas that do not stick to the body or it'll allow water to seep in, you also want to put on several coats with their spray gun to get the best results.

The window surrounds actually come out pretty easily but you have to be careful not to deform them in the process. you might call an auto glass place and see what they would charge you to remove them. you don't want to monstaline the doors all the way to the window track, but just under the rubber portion so the trim will fit properly but just lay over the monstaliner.

I watched my buddy who is a painter by profession, do the interior of his YJ. where he got lazy and didn't prep correctly (sand and remove the gloss overcoat) the liner is already coming off about a year later and it's taken him time to clean those areas off to prep them and reline them.

It took him several days to prep the interior and get it painted then he had to keep it in his garage for several days to cure due to weather and it stunk up his house for about 2 weeks after.

prepping will take you the most time.

Also get the extra sun /fade inhibitor. even though it has some in it, it will still fade. my buddy used red and it's faded pretty bad now.

Last, it will hold the mud. the texture of the liner makes it hard to get all the mud out. I don't know if there is a coating that will help but something to consider.

In talking to several companies around here that do this, it will add about 40-50lbs to your jeep when done.

I considered doing this last year since they can do a variety of colors. after seeing several others that were done I decided it wasn't worth the cost as an exterior paint.

Saharacon

That was a big issue I thought of. Muds dirt and grime is going to be lodge all over the surface but I hear you can thin monstaliner out.

My biggest overall reasoning for Monstaliner is the pure fact that I off road my daily driver a LOT probably more than most of you. With 4 local trails and 2 of the best just a couple hours out. My weekends are always dirty

My biggest problem is my OCD I have so many scratches and white lines all over a Red Rock jeep that my eyes hurt lol

Everyone else thinks she looks fantastic but I'm sure you all know how it goes on your own rigs.

I haven't really considered wrappings we have a local 3M that wraps vehicles but expressed that they wouldn't be able to wrap anything previously bedlined or plastic dipped.
I just have a hard time believing that a wrap will survive the trails.

jeeeep

Hooked
check out 3M clear bra - I think it's actual name is paint protection pro series.

My brother-in-law has it on the hood of his 2005 F-350 and it's not all chipped up like you would expect for a 10 year old truck. he also has it on the headlights and they still look new.

OFC, you'll probably want to get the scratches fixed before applying it.

Saharacon

check out 3M clear bra - I think it's actual name is paint protection pro series.

My brother-in-law has it on the hood of his 2005 F-350 and it's not all chipped up like you would expect for a 10 year old truck. he also has it on the headlights and they still look new.

OFC, you'll probably want to get the scratches fixed before applying it.

If only I looked into this 3 years ago.

I think my BEST option for a color swap would be to buy soft top Half doors, Bed line these Drab Green, Then purchase a perfomance hood and line this as well. After which Ill just have to hit the tail gate, B pillar, and A pillar

Seems Like a better option than stripping her down to paint. And once Ive got my Hard doors off I could take apart the seams and paint those for Winter

I still think monstaliner in the Cabin will look awesome. tons of write ups on this though no need to ask questions.

Id still like to hear from anyone thats Bedlined, Wrapped, or Plastidipped there jeeps. I need a durable paint job for the years to come.

LeighP

Just a suggestion here, but you're overthinking this.....forget the bedliner stuff.
We used to repaint our military vehicles anytime they started looking average from scratches and bush damage.
Scuff the exterior with sand paper to remove the shine, clean thoroughly with wax and grease remover, mask what you don't want green and then spray 3 coats of flat OD green auto paint. When it starts looking average, sand, clean, mask and spray the average bits again.
For the mil spec look, paint everything that isn't glass or a light.....that includes wheels, bumpers, brackets, tyre carriers....the lot.

Everything green......
1944WillysMB_02_1500.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
Just a suggestion here, but you're overthinking this.....forget the bedliner stuff.
We used to repaint our military vehicles anytime they started looking average from scratches and bush damage.
Scuff the exterior with sand paper to remove the shine, clean thoroughly with wax and grease remover, mask what you don't want green and then spray 3 coats of flat OD green auto paint. When it starts looking average, sand, clean, mask and spray the average bits again.
For the mil spec look, paint everything that isn't glass or a light.....that includes wheels, bumpers, brackets, tyre carriers....the lot.

Everything green......
View attachment 160362

this is a good idea since all the same prep work has to be done with the liner. this would also be much easier to clean and touch up versus the liner and if there's a change of heart to repaint, much easier to do.

Liner is a bear to remove.

Petthefish

Yup best bet is OD auto paint way easer to fix than a bed liner if you gouge it dent it or whatever plus you will not get the added weight of the liner

Top Bottom