Cooling fan broken 3.6 help!

quertyman

So, the fan went out on my jeep. Its now putting out codes P0480 and P0693. Went to a shop and they said the tipm went out and 1k to replace. Then went to the dealer who gave me a more realistic problem that the fan went out. But they want 600 for a new fan and 400 for labor. Has anybody replaced the fans on the new 3.6 with a spal fan oem even? If I'm going to replace it id rather get a waterproof one.

toxicwaste29

My fan went bad on my 3.6. It literally only took me 15 minutes to replace it with a new one I ordered online. I think I maybe paid 400 for a new fan. Call the dealer and ask for the part number and order it online then install it yourself. Also I took apart my bad fan and it is completely sealed.

spinuck

I've taken my fan out to clean the radiator when it was cake with mud. Wasn't terribly difficult. Can save yourself a lot of money sounds like.

toxicwaste29

Also to mention I was considering a spal sealed fan however I didnt want to spent 300 or so on an aftermarket fan and chance the engine light always being on since the computer wouldn't detect the aftermarket fan.

quertyman

I've taken my fan out to clean the radiator when it was cake with mud. Wasn't terribly difficult. Can save yourself a lot of money sounds like.

So was your jeep throwing the same codes or a check engine light? That could be the solution. It overheats like crazy because it's 110+ degrees here in the day.

Skid_Kid

My fan went out, due to more water and mud then it could handle. Luckily I got the extended warranty. But it only takes 15 minutes if that to replace. You just need to take the intake tub off, remove the overflow bottle and I think the two bolts are 10mm.

quertyman

My fan went out, due to more water and mud then it could handle. Luckily I got the extended warranty. But it only takes 15 minutes if that to replace. You just need to take the intake tub off, remove the overflow bottle and I think the two bolts are 10mm.

Isnt the part expensive? And requires replacing the whole thing? As I said the dealer said the part was 600$ for the whole assembly.

jeeeep

Hooked
both those codes are related to the cooling fan:
P0480 - Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit
P0693 - Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit Low

you can test the circuit to the fan to see if it's putting out power before replacing the fan but it sounds like you've already received confirmation that it is the cooling fan. the mopar part# is 68143894AA, as mentioned it's not that difficult to replace

did you check the cooling fan relays?

If it is the TIPM instead of the fan, you'll want to have the dealer replace it to get the proper vin matched TIPM

Last edited:

quertyman

both those codes are related to the cooling fan:
P0480 - Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit
P0693 - Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit Low

you can test the circuit to the fan to see if it's putting out power before replacing the fan but it sounds like you've already received confirmation that it is the cooling fan. the mopar part# is 68143894AA, as mentioned it's not that difficult to replace

did you check the cooling fan relays?

If it is the TIPM instead of the fan, you'll want to have the dealer replace it to get the proper vin matched TIPM
Could you tell me how to check the relays? And there is no alternative (spal) to replacing that 3 or 4 hundred dollar fan correct?

smcmurrey

A few weeks ago I had a fan problem and bought a new fan that I couldn't return. It ended up being a busted ground wire to the fan. (So if you are close to Houston I'll make a deal on the fan)
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439822282.642245.jpg
I bought the jeep after it was totaled and didn't notice this ground was mangled and hanging by a hair. There are about 6 ground wires crimped under 1 lug. When I checked the fan ground with a meter I had a good reading but it wasn't good enough to run the fan. The ground wire is bolted to the inner fender support behind the power steering reservoir so check it out.

If you want to do a few checks unplug the fan connector and check the two large terminals for 12V. The terminal should read with the key on or off, it doesn't matter. The 3rd wire is control and I was told by the service manager at IPAC Jeep in San Antonio that you can jumper that to +12v and the fan should run on high. He didn't know exactly the voltage but gave the example of 6V low and 8V medium. Since they are variable speed fans voltage on the control wire will vary.

$600 for a TIPM sounds about right if that ends up being the problem. The plugin relays are interchangeable so to test them just swap a couple around to make sure that isn't the problem.

Stan.

Last edited:

toxicwaste29

I agree with smcmurrey. I went through and tested everything before I spent $400 on a nonreturnable fan. Go through and test to see if your getting power to the fan plug

jeeeep

Hooked
I've found stevewhiteparts has great prices on mopar oem parts, they are a dealership out of NC.

the fan has been replaced with part# 68143894AB, it's on sale from them for $365.

quertyman

Just went to pick up the jeep from the dealer and they decided to fix it under warranty even though it's over. Canceled the order of the fan. Airpark Jeep is a solid dealer for sure :thumbup:.

akevinbailey

A few weeks ago I had a fan problem and bought a new fan that I couldn't return. It ended up being a busted ground wire to the fan. (So if you are close to Houston I'll make a deal on the fan)
View attachment 160366
I bought the jeep after it was totaled and didn't notice this ground was mangled and hanging by a hair. There are about 6 ground wires crimped under 1 lug. When I checked the fan ground with a meter I had a good reading but it wasn't good enough to run the fan. The ground wire is bolted to the inner fender support behind the power steering reservoir so check it out.

If you want to do a few checks unplug the fan connector and check the two large terminals for 12V. The terminal should read with the key on or off, it doesn't matter. The 3rd wire is control and I was told by the service manager at IPAC Jeep in San Antonio that you can jumper that to +12v and the fan should run on high. He didn't know exactly the voltage but gave the example of 6V low and 8V medium. Since they are variable speed fans voltage on the control wire will vary.

$600 for a TIPM sounds about right if that ends up being the problem. The plugin relays are interchangeable so to test them just swap a couple around to make sure that isn't the problem.

Stan.

For 2013+, this is completely wrong!!! The third wire is a pulse-width modulated duty cycle signal. It is NOT a simple voltage.

Top Bottom