Any experience a engine stall at highway speeds?

JudeinPa

I own a 2015 Sahara auto and my wife and were driving on the Pa Turnpike 476 driving about 70 miles per hour when the engine stalled for a brief second. My wife was driving and the engine cut off, tires seemed to freeze up and a red dash light came on and went out. My wife didn't know which light went on but said she saw red light up on the dash. Then all returned to normal. We were headed to Bethany Bay, DE for the weekend and was thinking we may get stuck somewhere but no other incident afterwards.

My wife thought it was just like the Jeep Cherokee's that can be controlled by a computer where they have reported in the news a few weeks ago. Some drivers reported that their Cherokee's engines were turned off while driving by hackers.

I tell you it was freaky!

Saharacon

I highly doubt the wrangler has any form of Sync system that allows programmers to get in. Honestly I hear its very easy to do. Same with andriod phones. Very easy to walk right into when they auto accept connections

Right Rudder

If you've done any electrical work/additions lately make sure your battery terminal connections are secure. I had an issue a few months back where mine weren't, and I would occasionally get a dashboard lightshow and loss of power as cruise control kicked off etc. When you say stall did the engine completely shutdown or just go into an rpm limited "limp mode?"

Benito

Caught the Bug
Jk's don't have the same head unit as the vehicles that were compromised. And there were no actual incidents of hackers maliciously taking control of vehicles, what was reported was a controlled experiment that was performed by hackers to show that there was a flaw in the system and they told FC exactly where the system was flawed.

As for your jeep, check for loose battery terminals and wires in the engine bay. I haven't seen any post about the the christmas tree dash that is common with 2011+ JKs lately, but loose termination are usually the culprit.

JudeinPa

I haven't worked on anything electrical with my JK as of yet. I will check the battery terminals to see if anything is loose.

I told my wife I didn't think Wranglers were affected by the possibility of a hacker.

Thank you for your replies!

Top Bottom