A new Jeep in the WAF Family!

AZMikeD

I finally found a Jeep I liked and closed the deal today! My 3yo is almost as excited as I am. :D My wife already threatened to steal it. :crazyeyes:

She's a 2006 LJ with only 101k miles. ;) Mostly original but does have a Teraflex "budget boost" with Rancho shocks. That's good because I was going to do that anyway. It also has airbags in the rear springs and a hitch with trailer brake controller. I don't plan on doing any heavy towing (just my small utility trailer) so I'm not certain if I should remove the airbags or not. I don't know if those will affect off-road ability.

0817151529.jpg 0817151530b.jpg

I would like to do something about the rake towards the front and maybe raise the front up a little at some point.
0817151530e.jpg

0817151531.jpg 0817151532c.jpg

Interior is in good condition, too. Came with some cool Jeep seat covers. The Sony stereo doesn't work but looks like it might just be a loose wire or something. I need to figure out how to take the radio out. Worse case, I still have the old Alpine stereo from my wife's vehicle I could throw in the there.
0817151539b.jpg 0817151539c.jpg

I have a few small mods already planned. Nothing too crazy yet. I'll start a build thread at some point.

Hope to see you on the trails!

AZMikeD

more fun! looks like a nice find :thumb:

Congrats on the purchase! Now to get it out on the trails... :drinks:

Thanks guys! I plan on getting it dirty this weekend. My wife is pregnant so we're just going to do an easy '1' rated trail. She doesn't want to get bumped around too much. Better to err on the side of caution.

@TheFunSmith I plan on joining you guys next chance I can make it!

TheFunSmith

Perhaps a nice cruise up the 4 peaks dirt road would be a nice '1' trail for you? It's also rather scenic, and if you watch the sunset up top, the view is breathtaking. Either way though, just get out somewhere, have fun, and enjoy your new jeep in good health!

IMG_2118.jpg

AZMikeD

Perhaps a nice cruise up the 4 peaks dirt road would be a nice '1' trail for you? It's also rather scenic, and if you watch the sunset up top, the view is breathtaking. Either way though, just get out somewhere, have fun, and enjoy your new jeep in good health!

That sounds good, I'll check it out. Can you tell me how to get there please? We were probably just going to do the improved section of the Montana Mountain trail as its only 45 minutes from the house. We were forced to turn around last time due to rain. But I'd like to check out a new place. Thanks!

Last edited:

TheFunSmith

Yes, that is precisely the trail. I'm sure you will have a blast. It is fairly maintained, with a few exceptions (just go slow through those areas) and I have seen many a subaru sedan make it up to the top part where the peaks hiking trailhead is. If they can do it, it is almost too easy for a jeep, but a great family friendly offroad "cruise" with many beautiful sights to take in. There will be some pine trees up at the top, and watching the vegetation change as you gain altitude is unique. And for a few fun facts: they ARE the same 4 peaks as are shown on the back of our state license plates, the highest of the 4 peaks is also the second highest point in the state and there is still an active amethyst mine on one of the peaks. Can't wait to catch you on one of the organized trail runs! :standing wave:

Last edited:

AZMikeD

Looks good. The rake may go away if you remove the rear airbags as you mentioned. Nice jeep.

I let some air pressure out of the airbags and the back end dropped about a half inch. I imagine it will ride a little better too. Think I'll leave them installed for now and see how it goes. Thanks!!

David1tontj

I let some air pressure out of the airbags and the back end dropped about a half inch. I imagine it will ride a little better too. Think I'll leave them installed for now and see how it goes. Thanks!!

I just read one of eddies write ups on airbags. He says they didn't affect his off-road performance. I am planning to get a set, and if I was you, I would leave them in. I will add that in his write up, he said the manufacturer recommended never going below 5psi in the airbag. He said he would stick with 10.

Here is the link to the Tj tech page with his write ups. It was in his first post, and it was titled "airlift air bags" or something close to that.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=29919

Hope this helps.

AZMikeD

I just read one of eddies write ups on airbags. He says they didn't affect his off-road performance. I am planning to get a set, and if I was you, I would leave them in. I will add that in his write up, he said the manufacturer recommended never going below 5psi in the airbag. He said he would stick with 10.

Here is the link to the Tj tech page with his write ups. It was in his first post, and it was titled "airlift air bags" or something close to that.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=29919

Hope this helps.

Great, thanks! I'll check out the link and will test the air pressure when I get home.

AZMikeD

Yes, that is precisely the trail. I'm sure you will have a blast. It is fairly maintained, with a few exceptions (just go slow through those areas) and I have seen many a subaru sedan make it up to the top part where the peaks hiking trailhead is. If they can do it, it is almost too easy for a jeep, but a great family friendly offroad "cruise" with many beautiful sights to take in. There will be some pine trees up at the top, and watching the vegetation change as you gain altitude is unique. And for a few fun facts: they ARE the same 4 peaks as are shown on the back of our state license plates, the highest of the 4 peaks is also the second highest point in the state and there is still an active amethyst mine on one of the peaks. Can't wait to catch you on one of the organized trail runs! :standing wave:

We had a great time yesterday on the Four Peaks Trail. Thanks again for the suggestion! On the rougher parts I drove VERY slowly to not bounce my wife around too much so the trail probably took us longer than it should have. Got some good pics too!

Top Bottom