2012 LA Auto Show : Mopar Sand Trooper Jeep JK Wrangler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know we've posted up a bunch of pics already from the 2012 SEMA Show but, I thought I would posts up more that we took at the 2012 LA Auto Show as it was on the ground and a lot more accessible this time around. Anyway, for your viewing pleasure, I bring you, the Mopar Sand Trooper :cool:

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Looks like someone did some sloppy last minute wiring on their Rigid lights. On the underside shots you can see the wire running to the back. It looks like the wire Rigid supplies in their wiring harness. In one pic looking forward it looks like there is a bunch of red wire kind of stuffed up behind the gearbox. It sure would suck to get that caught in the rear drive shaft! :doh:

Maybe it's some sort of plug coming up from the floor to run their lights??

I want a pair of those axles!! :rock:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! it is required that all vehicles inside a show like this have 1/4 tank of gas or less and that the battery be disconnected. the power cord you guys see is something that most vehicles on display have and it's just there to give the power to the vehicle so that they can show off things like lights, head unit, etc. :yup:

JThompson

Looks like someone did some sloppy last minute wiring on their Rigid lights. On the underside shots you can see the wire running to the back. It looks like the wire Rigid supplies in their wiring harness. In one pic looking forward it looks like there is a bunch of red wire kind of stuffed up behind the gearbox. It sure would suck to get that caught in the rear drive shaft! :doh:

Maybe it's some sort of plug coming up from the floor to run their lights??

I want a pair of those axles!! :rock:

Little did you realize that this is actually the first ever Jeep JK Electric. That black cord is connected to the battery charger. The range is about 60 miles, but if you have a really long extension cord....

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
JThompson said:
Little did you realize that this is actually the first ever Jeep JK Electric. That black cord is connected to the battery charger. The range is about 60 miles, but if you have a really long extension cord....

:cheesy: ROFL

Markymark420

So do those portal axles have gears on the outboard ends of the shafts that drive a geared hub? Similar to a solid axle version of the Humvee drivetrain?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy:

So do those portal axles have gears on the outboard ends of the shafts that drive a geared hub? Similar to a solid axle version of the Humvee drivetrain?

yes, that's exactly what it's like

Jeeper Jr.

How come portal axles aren't that popular? I would think anybody who wants more clearance at the diff would get some. Wouldn't they also allow larger tires with less lift?
Is there something bad about portals that I'm missing?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Zstairlessone

How come portal axles aren't that popular? I would think anybody who wants more clearance at the diff would get some. Wouldn't they also allow larger tires with less lift?

Additional gear reduction (good for rocks too) and $$$$$

machinegunmedic

Thanks for bring up this old thread. I've never seen this jeep before. I'm really digging that rear bumper.

I really don't think Mopar built that. Anyone seen this bumper before.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I believe this rig had stock suspension and 37" tires. The axles provide around 4" of lift. They cost around $12k/ea. I had come across a build and they drove it around town and stuff...don't remember if they mentioned why but they said it wasn't good for daily driving (I believe Jeep/Mopar even states not for the street). Maybe axle wrap is a problem? I would love a set, would also love an extra $24k sitting in my bank account :cheesy:

StrizzyChris

Due to the design of a portal axle, it creates a tremendous amount of leverage compared to a stock axle. Because of this, combined with highway speeds, it places increased stress on suspension components and especially your control arms. When I spoke with Dynatrac, they also said ABS would not work with this axle either.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Due to the design of a portal axle, it creates a tremendous amount of leverage compared to a stock axle. Because of this, combined with highway speeds, it places increased stress on suspension components and especially your control arms. When I spoke with Dynatrac, they also said ABS would not work with this axle either.

So you're getting portal axles?? :cheesy:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Definitely a very nice clean looking JK. The cleaned up and spareless tailgate and rear bumper caught my eye right away. The portal axles...not so much. Hell, I could barely afford to replace my stock JKUR's BFG's with new Trail Graps.:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Due to the design of a portal axle, it creates a tremendous amount of leverage compared to a stock axle. Because of this, combined with highway speeds, it places increased stress on suspension components and especially your control arms.

I'd be interested to know where you heard this from.

When I spoke with Dynatrac, they also said ABS would not work with this axle either.

This is the BIGGEST if not ONLY reason that I know of why you cannot run Portals on a JK. It has no tone ring and therefore, you cannot run a speed sensor on it. Unfortunately, the JK requires this.

TrailBear

I'd be interested to know where you heard this from.

This is the BIGGEST if not ONLY reason that I know of why you cannot run Portals on a JK. It has no tone ring and therefore, you cannot run a speed sensor on it. Unfortunately, the JK requires this.

I thought you could order portal axles right from jeep for the jk? I can't remember what mag I read it in, I did look at them online and they had a price tag north of 12g a pair. Maybe they were for off road only, I didn't look that far into them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know they had them on display at SEMA in the past and even had a part number but it doesn't change the fact that a JK with them on WILL have issues due to the fact that they do NOT have speed sensors. Even the engineers at Chrysler I know have verified this to me as well as Dynatrac.

Top Bottom