AZMikeD's LJ Build Thread

Jiffy05

That is a nice LJ :thumb:. I wish I could get one of those and the 4 door at the same time.

What plans do you have for it?

AZMikeD

That is a nice LJ :thumb:. I wish I could get one of those and the 4 door at the same time.

What plans do you have for it?

This is my first Jeep and true off road vehicle. I'm not planning anything too extreme yet as I need to practice my off road driving first. ;-) I just wanted to do a budget boost and a little bit bigger tire. As you can see from the pics this LJ already has a budget boost. Most of the mods in my immediate future will be relatively minor. At some point I'm sure I'll want to do a proper lift and even bigger tire...and empty my bank account at the same time. :) Thanks!

Moabbnd

Great looking LJ! Make sure you throw a transmission cooler on there if you don't already have one

AZMikeD

First order of business was to figure out why the Sony stereo wasn't working. I gotta have some tunes for in between trails. :D

That'll do it:
barewires.jpg

Look at how the guy crimped these things. That ain't gonna work. :crazyeyes:
badcrimp.jpg

Much better:
muchbetter.jpg

Now I can listen to my Huey Lewis and the News CD. :cheesy:
workingnow.jpg

Moabbnd

Thanks for the suggestion. Is that something that could have been fitted from the factory or aftermarket only?

Aftermarket. B&M coolers would be one of the best, but I had a heavy duty hayden cooler on my last auto and it worked great. The 42re doesn't like overheating and it is prone to it with larger tires

AZMikeD

Thanks for the suggestion. Is that something that could have been fitted from the factory or aftermarket only?

I did a little more research and see that the transmission fluid gets cycled through the radiator. I also found some info on installing a supplemental cooler in front of the radiator. Seems like a relatively inexpensive install and makes sense for here in Arizona. Thanks!

AZMikeD

Aftermarket. B&M coolers would be one of the best, but I had a heavy duty hayden cooler on my last auto and it worked great. The 42re doesn't like overheating and it is prone to it with larger tires

Great, thanks for the suggestion. I saw some info about installing the B&M one in front of the radiator. Doesn't look too difficult and is cheap insurance. I'm only planning on stepping up to a 32" tire initially.

Did you install a transmission temperature gauge as well? I think that would be useful. Thanks!

AZMikeD

Safety first! The front brakes have been pulsating like crazy so I knew some brake work was going to need to be done. I noticed this on the test drive and used this in the negotiation. Also, the brake fluid was due for a flush. The fluid was dark and I could tell the brakes became less effective when it was hot.

I changed the front pads and rotors and flushed the whole brake system last night. I used Performance Friction Pads and AC Delco Professional Durastop Rotors. This is the first time using the PFC pads and so far first impressions are great. I'm looking forward to getting them fully broken in.

I had planned on changing the rear brakes as well but after a closer look the rears aren't that bad yet. The pads are about half way through their usable life and the rotors have no wear lip on the outside as if they've been turned recently.

frontbrakes1.jpg frontbrakes2.jpg frontbrakes3.jpg

I see an oil change in my future, too. :D

Last edited:

AZMikeD

I mounted 2015 Rubicon wheels to my LJ a couple of weeks ago. Been meaning to post but life happens.

I picked them up from ORE. A fun road trip from AZ! I got to spend some "quality" time with the new Jeep. Thanks to SaddleTramp for selling me the wheels. Good luck with your new build!
0904151438.jpg
0904151848.jpg

I used Spidertrax wheel adapters/spacers.
0905152223a.jpg

And a few pics on the Jeep...
0906151500a.jpg 0906151500c.jpg 0906151459a.jpg

I spaced the third brake light up an inch to fit the new spare:
0906151749a.jpg 0906151753.jpg 0906151812a.jpg

FastZach

Good looking Jeep. I recently picked up a 2005 LJ Rubicon from a friend. I'll probably do the rubicon take-offs until I lift the Jeep more for 35s. I noticed the pulsating brakes on mine as well so I'm do for some new ones for sure. I also noticed you have airbags in the rear springs? The previous owner on my Jeep installed airbags in the rear and I can wait to get them out with a new lift. Hopefully we can get out on the trail sometime

AZMikeD

Good looking Jeep. I recently picked up a 2005 LJ Rubicon from a friend. I'll probably do the rubicon take-offs until I lift the Jeep more for 35s. I noticed the pulsating brakes on mine as well so I'm do for some new ones for sure. I also noticed you have airbags in the rear springs? The previous owner on my Jeep installed airbags in the rear and I can wait to get them out with a new lift. Hopefully we can get out on the trail sometime

Yeah, I thought the JK Rubicon wheels were a good, inexpensive way to get some more rubber under the Jeep until I can afford a proper lift and 35's. I'm hoping to be doing a lift next spring. I'm leaning towards the Rock Krawler 3.5" short arm kit. I'll probably be stuck with the Rubicon wheels for a couple of years so will probably throw 33's (or possibly 34's) on them when these tires wear out.

A previous owner installed airbags in the rear seemingly for towing. Same as you I'll probably remove them when I do the lift. Don't think it will be worth the trouble to do before. I've read they don't hinder off-road ability much.

I met a small group of locals who hit the trails about once a week. Great people. We are driving down to Tuscan this weekend to do the Chiva Falls trail. They usually post the events on WAF. I'd like to meet another LJ/TJ owner. I seem to be the only one in the group without a JK! :crazyeyes:

Last edited:

AZMikeD

It's been a while since I've updated this thread, because I haven't done anything major to the Jeep. Catching up on a lot of maintenance items but managed to catch a few pics of some of the mods I've added to the Jeep. My next mod will be much more exciting, can't wait for it to finally get here and get installed! ;)

One of the stock fog lights had a broken lens so I replaced them with these inexpensive LED spot lights from Amazon.
1004151050c.jpg

Installed an inexpensive Midland CB with Firestik antenna. I'm not entirely sold on the center console mounting location but is OK for the time being.
1105152311a.jpg

Made a custom bracket for the antenna from a piece of angle aluminum I had laying around.
1109151722a.jpg

I had to space the 3rd brake light up higher to clear the bracket.
1110152041b.jpg

A generous local Jeeper gave me his old JKS sway bar disconnects from his JK. (He's got anti-rocks now) I had to buy the bracket from JKS where they bolted to the LJ sway bar and some hardware but for $50 in parts was well worth it!
0103161854b.jpg

Disconnected! You'll also notice I added another set of lights, LED flood lights from Amazon, to the KC light mount on the front bumper. The KC light mount came with the Jeep but didn't have any lights on it. I don't particularly like the way the four rectangular lights look on the front and will probably do something different down the road.
0215161527c.jpg

"Blinders" light switch for the flood lights. I purchased it from Amazon from Gold Coast Distributing.
0119162259.jpg

Poison Spyder Bombshell diff covers. My awesome wife was kind enough to paint the rear one for me!
0313161618d.jpg

0326161559a.jpg

0326161602a.jpg

Poison Spyder Steering box skid. I only bought this because PS wanted $36 to ship the two diff covers so I only needed to spend $52 to get free shipping. A few more bucks and I got the skid. :thumb:
0123162214b.jpg

Bought some goodies to help on the trail. Staun tire deflaters and a Warn recovery kit.
0313161320a.jpg

0313161323.jpg

Lastly, my son checking out my Trasharoo. Much bigger than I was expecting!
0526161040.jpg

Top Bottom