Rock Krawler DTD?

TC2019

I was just on FB and saw pictures of the RK DTD and was wondering if any of you have seen it? I find it to be a pathetic attempt to copy ORE's DTD. I know a few of you are friends with the owner of ORE and maybe they have some kind of patent on the DTD

11889590_1006656712687922_8839863524892853325_n.jpg

Last edited:

seanb123

Dtd has been around for a while in racing all it means is a coil over with a bypass shock. Not something Evo made up

GCM 2

Nah, even EVO borrowed the term

Dtd has been around for a while in racing all it means is a coil over with a bypass shock. Not something Evo made up

Exactly what seanb said. The term is originally from the desert racing and sand car crowd. In fact the first time I had ever heard the term Double Throw Down used was in Glamis at one of the huge weekend sand dune parties long before Jeepers were ever thinking of putting coilovers on a Jeep.

Its just a common term for what seanb123 described :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So no other suspension company should offer coil-overs and triple bypass shocks?

Competition is a good thing.

Agreed! Competition is a great thing and I'm glad to see that someone like Rock Krawler is coming out with something that might give the current EVO DTD setup a run for their money. I only wish they had come out with something sooner rather than at the end of the JK model life.

CJW

I like that rear shock set up. But would still prefer it to be on a parallel 4 link.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
After reviewing those photos, I still feel like the EVO System is better. Yes, it is great to see that Rock Krawler, a good company, is trying. I just do not see how it is better than the EVO Lever system, which I really like. The benefits of the entire EVO system is still what I plan to go with.

7 more months and counting…. sigh.

07JKSahara

So no other suspension company should offer coil-overs and triple bypass shocks?

Competition is a good thing.

I'm with this comment. Competition is good. The market will be able to decide what's best suited.

I am intrigued by the way they set up the rear end though, the cantilever system on EVO's is IMHO brilliant. I'll be curious to see how well this system works.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with this comment. Competition is good. The market will be able to decide what's best suited.

I am intrigued by the way they set up the rear end though, the cantilever system on EVO's is IMHO brilliant. I'll be curious to see how well this system works.

The rear end is similar to a trailing arm setup and it should work well. Looking at it though, I think you would need to run full width axles to make it work.

Torqt JK

What's everyone's opinion on Rock Krawler's parts/suspension? Before I ultimately decided on going with EVO, I strongly considered RK because it seems like they make quality products. Now a buddy of mine is in the same dilemma I was in between EVO and RK. What's your thoughts?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
What's everyone's opinion on Rock Krawler's parts/suspension? Before I ultimately decided on going with EVO, I strongly considered RK because it seems like they make quality products. Now a buddy of mine is in the same dilemma I was in between EVO and RK. What's your thoughts?

I ran their front lower arms and rear uppers on my 2 door and was happy with them. Seemed like the joints held up fairly well. I ran plush ride coils tho so I can not comment about their springs however.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I prefer Johnny Joints over the RK joints or standard polyurethane joints that RK uses. I prefer the ride quality of Plush Ride coils over RK coils. For these specific reasons, I would go with EVO over RK when it comes to lift kits but, this is not to say that I haven't run RK products like their HD transmission pan or tie-rod with good results in the past.

MonkeyLeo13

Seems like Front DTD between RK and EVO seems not much different and probably same benefit? Same thing about front coilover between Rebel and EVO which seem same benefit.

But for Rear DTD between RK and EVO, I said EVO is best since it more clearance from rock and not worry about getting damage like regular rear coilover on bottom. RK put coilover position on the rear lca seems like nice idea but I'm not quite sure if that help with travel shock better? If it is but it more limit to adjust from soft to firm? Again, same idea betweent Rebel and Evo for Rear coilover, EVO has better travel and better protection on bottom of coilover compare to Rebel.

If it's 3-links on rear, forget it. Like Eddie and other said, if 4-links and got one of links damage, you still can ride. 3-links and one of arms damage, you done. I tried to replace my LCA and I got a little bit accident (forgot to hold axle to frame) and I can see why. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom