Jeep Renegade 2.4L Multi-Air Tigershark Engine Oil Change Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Changing the engine oil on your Jeep Renegade is something that should be done on a regular basis and as a part of its routine maintenance. Even if you've forgotten how long it's been since the last time you've changed your oil, your Renegade is smart enough to know and will be sure to remind you with a notification on the dash stating "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED". Fortunately, changing the oil on your Renegade is fairly easy to do and doing it yourself can save you some money. This step by step write-up will show you what you will need and what all you'll need to do to change the oil on a Jeep Renegade with a 2.4L Multi-Air Tigershark engine.

What you will need
• Oil Filter
• 5.5 Quarts 0W-20 Oil
• 10mm Socket
• 13mm Socket
• Torx T-30 Bit
• Ratchet
• Oil Filter Wrench
• Oil Catch Pan
• Funnel
• Paper Towels

List of a few oil filters that will work
AC-DELCO PF48
AMSOIL EAO47
AUTOLITE FOR OIL FILTERS AL10060
CHRYSLER 04892339AA
FRAM HIGH MILEAGE OIL FILTERS HM10060
FRAM PRO SERIES FP10060
HASTINGS LF613
MOBIL M1-113
MOPAR MO-339
NAPA 7060
PUROLATOR L12222
VALVOLINE VO88
WIX 57060

Instructions
Here's a photo of pretty much everything you will need to change the oil on your Jeep Renegade.
main.php

1. While it isn't necessary, driving your Renegade onto ramps or lifting and supporting the front end of it with jack stands will help you to access things better. For the purpose of this write-up, I put our Renegade on a rack so that I could better show you all the things you will need to be working on. Also, you should perform your oil change while your engine is still a little warm but not hot.
main.php

NOTE: If you have a Jeep Renegade Sport, Latitude or Limited, skip down to STEP #6. If you have a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, you will need to remove the front skid plate before you can proceed. There are a total of (4) 10mm bolts, (4) 13mm bolts and (4) Torx T-30 bolts that will need to be removed and the diagram below points out where they are located.
main.php

2. Using a Torx T-30 bit, remove the (4) bolts securing the plastic air dam to the body of your Renegade.
main.php

3. Using a 13mm socket, remove the (4) bolts securing the forward edge of your Trailhawk's skid plate.
main.php

4. Using a 10mm socket, remove the (4) bolts securing your Trailhawk's skid plate in place. Be sure to save the (2) rear most bolts for last and push up on the skid plate and hold it in place as you remove them.
main.php

5. Carefully lower, remove and set aside your Trailhawk skid plate.
main.php

6. Place a catch pan under your Renegade's oil pan and then remove the drain bolt using a 13mm socket.
main.php

7. Allow your oil to drain completely before reinstalling the drain bolt.
main.php

8. Reposition your catch pan under the oil filter and then, using a filter wrench, loosen thel filter just enough so that oil starts to leak out of it.
main.php

9. Allow the oil from the filter to drain enough so that you can safely remove it without making too much of a mess.
main.php

10. Once the oil filter is drained, remove it from the engine. Use just a dab of oil from it and apply it to the rubber gasket on your new oil filter as shown in the photo below.
main.php

11. Install your new oil filter onto your Renegade's engine and tighten it by hand.
main.php

12. Reinstall your oil pan drain bolt and secure it in place using a 13mm socket.
main.php

13. If you have a Trailhawk, reinstall the skid plate by slipping the forward half of it onto the air dam to help support it.
main.php

14. Loosely reinstall all the bolts securing the skid plate to the chassis of your Renegade.
main.php

15. Using a 10mm socket, 13mm socket and Torx T-30 bit, tighten all the bolts to secure your Trailhawk skid plate in place.
main.php

16. Open the hood of your Renegade and then remove the oil fill cap on top of the engine.
main.php

17. Place a funnel into the fill hole to help prevent making a mess.
main.php

18. Slowly pour 5.5 quarts of 0W-20 motor oil into your Renegade's engine.
main.php

19. If your Jeep Renegade told you it was time to change your oil, you will need to let it know that you have done this. To clear the notification, turn your key to the ON position WITHOUT starting the engine. Then, press your accelerator pedal to the floor (3) times and then turn the key back to the OFF position. If you have a push button start, push the button without stepping on the brake. This will turn on the computer without starting the engine. Push the button again to turn it off.

That should be it, you've just changed the oil on your Jeep Renegade! Reinstall the oil fill cap, close the hood and be sure to take in your old oil to your local auto parts store to recycle it. Please let me know if you have any questions :)

t8er

Good write up. I'll just say I'm surprised they're running a traditional oil filter and not the cartridge style most are switching to.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good write up. I'll just say I'm surprised they're running a traditional oil filter and not the cartridge style most are switching to.

I'm surprised too and kind of disappointed. I really love how easy it is to change the oil filter on my 3.6L motor.

Spaulding

Guess I'm old school but I still like the metal filters. Wonder how the Jiffy Lubes of the world will handle having to remove the skid plate on the Trailhawks?

OHIORUBICON

What a pain to need to remove the skid plate..... Any worrie that the bolts holding the skid on will be damaged while off-road?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Love the plum crazy socket!

LOL!! Glad you like my color coded sockets :crazyeyes:

Guess I'm old school but I still like the metal filters. Wonder how the Jiffy Lubes of the world will handle having to remove the skid plate on the Trailhawks?

There's definitely something to be said about the old school filters, the cartridge types are just easier to change out and on a vehicle as low as the Renegade, it can be a bit help. As far as Jiffy Lube goes, no kidding. You literally take a 10 min job and double it because of the stupid skid plate. But of course, this is only on Trailhawks.

What a pain to need to remove the skid plate..... Any worrie that the bolts holding the skid on will be damaged while off-road?

I don't think so, the bolts are all recessed above the skid plate. maybe the ones most up front are in harms way but really, if you're hitting them, you're probably picking some pretty bad lines for a rig like a Renegade :crazyeyes:

OHIORUBICON

LOL!! Glad you like my color coded sockets :crazyeyes:

There's definitely something to be said about the old school filters, the cartridge types are just easier to change out and on a vehicle as low as the Renegade, it can be a bit help. As far as Jiffy Lube goes, no kidding. You literally take a 10 min job and double it because of the stupid skid plate. But of course, this is only on Trailhawks.

I don't think so, the bolts are all recessed above the skid plate. maybe the ones most up front are in harms way but really, if you're hitting them, you're probably picking some pretty bad lines for a rig like a Renegade :crazyeyes:

This is true lol, how are the real world MPGs?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is true lol, how are the real world MPGs?

The best MPG I've gotten was about 28 on the highway but driving like I normally do. If I were to slow down and try to get better MPG, I'm sure I could do it. Real world average, I've been getting about 24 MPG driving around town and on the highway. Doing a lot of heavy around town only driving, I'm maybe seeing about 18 MPG. Overall, I'm really happy with the MPG.

OHIORUBICON

The best MPG I've gotten was about 28 on the highway but driving like I normally do. If I were to slow down and try to get better MPG, I'm sure I could do it. Real world average, I've been getting about 24 MPG driving around town and on the highway. Doing a lot of heavy around town only driving, I'm maybe seeing about 18 MPG. Overall, I'm really happy with the MPG.

Nice!, if you could take an out of town camping trip ect.. and do mostly highway and pull down 28 i'd say that's totally respectable

TWX

Have you considered a remote oil filter adapter and one of those quarter-turn oil drain valves with a pipe nipple and a short length of drain hose to reach out from under the skidplate?

We just got home with a Renegade Trailhawk tonight, I'm strongly considering these retrofits immediately to make the oil changes faster and easier.

TucktheTrailhawk

@wayoflife I have several hobbies and dabble in a few more and out of all the sites, forums and DIY write ups that
I come across and read, you (hands down) have got the DIY write up format and technical writing DOWN FREAKING PAT!!

Seriously, people often fail to mention things that they may thought were of little consequence or were of little consequence in their situation but are potential show stoppers to someone whose circumstances differ. You are beyond thorough. Thank you from those of us whose tool set consists of only a Leatherman (facetious).

Furthermore, you make excellent choices as to when and what to photograph and your images are well lit. This is a Huge issue 9 out of 10 times elsewhere.

Lastly, your writing is pragmatic, your word selection is concise and efficient and (IMO) most importantly you restrain from interjecting opinion.

I would love to know what you do for a living (that's rhetorical).

Your efforts are truly impressive and very appreciated. The internets can learn a lot from you.

If you could see me now, I'm doing the 'Dab' dance move (apparently it's a sign of the upmost respect for someone amongst pop culture millennials and z-geners). Lol!

Cheers.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I guess I'll change it myself, since Wal-Mart told my wife, they couldn't get the skid plate off.:nuts:

mhurckes@me.com

Hey Thanks for the write-up. I am a new jeep owner and want to do my own maintenance. So I have a few questions for the oil changes. My head is too big so I was thinking about putting it on jack stands to give me a few extra inches. So here are my questions

1. Where are the jack points ?
2. Where is the oil filter relative to the pan you show?

Is there anything I should know as this is my first time working on a car.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Thanks for the write-up. I am a new jeep owner and want to do my own maintenance. So I have a few questions for the oil changes. My head is too big so I was thinking about putting it on jack stands to give me a few extra inches. So here are my questions

1. Where are the jack points ?
2. Where is the oil filter relative to the pan you show?

Is there anything I should know as this is my first time working on a car.

You might be just as well suited to get a pair of ramps and drive the front of your Renegade on them. The filter is toward the front of your Renegade.

emwilson610

T30 Skid Plate Screw

Good afternoon! I just had the oil changed for my wife's 2016 Renegade Trailhawk and the mechanic told me that I was missing a couple of the T30 screws mentioned in this thread. Does anyone know where I can purchase some? I have been scouring the web and cannot find them.

Thanks

Top Bottom