My DIY doors

colo dean

Well after seeing a few folks making their own tube doors, I thought I'd give it a go. Using rectangle tube as I had a bunch given to me. Its 1" x 2 1/2", pretty rusty but it cleans up. Sat down with my CAD software and figured out the angles and lengths. The hinge pins are 7/16" x 4" bolts welded to some flat stock. They will have stainless washers as shims so they swing without binding on anything.
The parts and pieces laid out after cutting.
20150819_165058_zps6yrdfqhl.jpg

Here is the back side of the first one all welded up.
20150819_165152_zpsz9iudnuq.jpg

Welded a piece of plate for a latch to be mounted. Father picked up the latches from the salvage yard I think from a chevy truck. They were electric so I took off the electrical parts since those aren't needed. Right now the plan is to cut the linkage rod down and put a loop in it to operate the latch with a finger. Haven't decided whether to weld a tab and a grommet to hold the rod or just let it hang.
20150819_165217_zpsmpx6amyg.jpg

Shot of the hinge pin
20150819_165323_zpsyus00jdp.jpg

Outside of the door. I have to hit the welding supply store for more gas so the other pin can be welded on and more flap discs for the grinder.
20150819_165340_zps0ri8chrd.jpg

Test fit them and everything seems to be fitting good. Still have a few welds to touch up, not a pro welder, but getting better. Once done I plan to shoot with a etching primer and then paint them black and wrap with 1" webbing similar to a stock car window net. Still need to figure out how that will be installed. Also need to pick up a couple footman loops for the limit straps so they don't open all the way and dent something. Looks a little different from most since its not 1" square or round tube but I rekkon that is what will make it mine. :)

colo dean

Got the other hinge pin welded on and everything adjusted. Still have to finish sanding down and touch up a couple welds but I think its looking pretty good.
20150820_130118_zpstxvpotij.jpg
20150820_130109_zpsipgwelba.jpg

RMC2, they really don't way more than a couple pounds currently, the tubing is 12ga so it is fairly light. Once its all done I'll toss them on a scale but I am thinking they wont weigh more than 5lbs or so

Rhin0247

Got the other hinge pin welded on and everything adjusted. Still have to finish sanding down and touch up a couple welds but I think its looking pretty good.
View attachment 160895
View attachment 160896

RMC2, they really don't way more than a couple pounds currently, the tubing is 12ga so it is fairly light. Once its all done I'll toss them on a scale but I am thinking they wont weigh more than 5lbs or so

Those are turning out very nice... Can't wait to see the final result

colo dean

I need some opinions. Have initial coat of black on and will still need to finish painting, but working on the netting. Not sure which way looks better.
Option 1, 5 vertical with 2 horizontal
20150830_172132_zpstexxjdwh.jpg
Option 2, 5 vertical with 3 horizontal. I only had 7 strips made up so I had to pull one vertical to make the 3rd horizontal strip will make up another piece if this is the way I end up going.
20150830_172806_zpsf36db31i.jpg
I think I like the 2nd way. The middle horizontal strip will have to end like I have it since the latch is in the way to wrap around the door frame unless I velcro it on the back side and run it up to the latch assembly which could be done.

Thoughts???

Jgarch

I like option 1. Perhaps because you have 2 colors on the body of the Jeep, I'm liking the 2 straps running the same direction. But really, I think it will work either way. Great job!

colo dean

Thanks for the comments all, you're right, I think it will be fine either way and the better half said she likes the layout with 3 going across. Wished I could have found some canvas material that was a closer match to the color of the cage but this was as close as I found when we installed the cage and I still had plenty left over. Think I came up with a way to wrap everything with velcro on the ends so it can be taken off to be cleaned (just wish my back would allow me to go play with it)

colo dean

Well I ended up going a different way after trying to figure out the mounting where the door is angled. Instead of having sticky velcro strips that I figure will come off over time, I decided to make it square more or less and have the vertical strips velcro to them selves wrapping around the top and bottom door tube. Do have so say I am not a professional with a sewing machine so the stitching could be better/straighter but oh well. May remount it to the inside of the door so the stitching on the top pieces of velcro don't show. Might be better with highway wind also, have to test that out tomorrow. Anyway, other than finishing the paint and add a footman loop to keep it from swinging too far, the first door is done!

I think it turned out pretty good and something different from the others.
20150831_203229_zpswq8fj5cu.jpg

Top Bottom