Shimmy

shortyokc

I have had a shimmy around 50 mph on my jeep since I got it and has had several alignments at different shops, tires balanced, road force balanced, swapped around, tested at different pressures, checked components, holes, bolts for wear or movement and have found nothing. The tires I have are the fuel mt which everyone I talk to says is probably my problem and difficult to balance out. I was told by several shops that if they even balance on the machine they still could have issues. I wish I had someone local to swap wheels and tires to compare. My question is I recently installed the synergy steering flip kit and seems the shimmy has been amplified. My guess is the angle of the drag link is pushing more sideways now that up at a angle. Any feedback or suggestions other than ditching the tires for nitto trail grapplers or bfg k02

JakeJK

I have had a shimmy around 50 mph on my jeep since I got it and has had several alignments at different shops, tires balanced, road force balanced, swapped around, tested at different pressures, checked components, holes, bolts for wear or movement and have found nothing. The tires I have are the fuel mt which everyone I talk to says is probably my problem and difficult to balance out. I was told by several shops that if they even balance on the machine they still could have issues. I wish I had someone local to swap wheels and tires to compare. My question is I recently installed the synergy steering flip kit and seems the shimmy has been amplified. My guess is the angle of the drag link is pushing more sideways now that up at a angle. Any feedback or suggestions other than ditching the tires for nitto trail grapplers or bfg k02

Your toe in correctly set?

Wethy

You could try the airsoft BB. Ive never done it but i have heard it works.... but im sure its hit and miss. You could look it up on youtube to see a demo how it works. But you would hear the bb's rill around at slow speeds due to not having enough centrifugal force. And thatd be enough to drive me insane. However if it is the tires that are the problem. It could save you a lot of money from having to buy new ones :p

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

A speed related shimmy is almost always a tire balancing problem. If you've had them balanced 2-3 times and with no change, I would look into different tires. If you are running steel wheels, could be one is out of round.

Wethy

Also you could check the torque on all bolts on control arms trac bars things like that. Could be something there especially if you just installed a flip kit. Just another thoery

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I tried beads, and thought the "rain stick" effect was fun to listen to when stopping (this was with my walker evans). I couldnt find a shop that wanted to try and balance them so the beads went in, however I saw no real difference at all. Then switched to slabs and no more issues.

shortyokc

I will defiantly stay away from making my tires rain sticks. Everything was torqued and rechecked 2 times after and I used my snapon digital torque wrench so I know it's spot on. I also marked all my bolts with a paint marker and none have moved, no wear chaffing marks from movement. I took it on a newly paved road yesterday that is smooth as glass to see if bumps were setting it off and still did the same on a new asphalt road with no bumps at all. Last resort is strapping my helmet cam underneath to get some insight

shortyokc

I went back over and retorqued everything again. Stared under the jeep for quite some time, jacked up and checked everything for play and decided to put a light under the tire and spin it. This quickly revealed how much out or round my tires are, kinda disturbing. So my search for tires begins. I noticed at low speeds the jeep had a rocking up and down and wasn't the road. I contacted the tire manufacturer to tell them how much they suck but don't expect a response.

A.J.

If you have a retread shop in your area there might be another solution until you can buy new tires. Some cap shops have the equipment to shave them. Kinda like a tire lathe. If they still have a lot of tread might be worth it for you.

Top Bottom