Driveshaft question

jkwebbie

So as we all know, its drivetrain month at Northridge4x4 and was thinking about upgrading my drive shafts on the Jeep. A little back ground on my Jeep, its a 2012 2 door Sport with a 3" lift. Say I get 1350 shafts for my Jeep now and upgrade my axles down the road, will I still be able to use those drive shafts or will I have to get new ones? Or do I change out something small on the shafts like the pinion yokes or something to get them to work on bigger axles?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
So as we all know, its drivetrain month at Northridge4x4 and was thinking about upgrading my drive shafts on the Jeep. A little back ground on my Jeep, its a 2012 2 door Sport with a 3" lift. Say I get 1350 shafts for my Jeep now and upgrade my axles down the road, will I still be able to use those drive shafts or will I have to get new ones? Or do I change out something small on the shafts like the pinion yokes or something to get them to work on bigger axles?

If you upgrade now to 1350 on the front, you should be good if you change axles in the future. The only thing that could be an issue is if you greatly upgrade your suspension (EVO DTD) you may need to have them lengthened.

jkwebbie

If you upgrade now to 1350 on the front, you should be good if you change axles in the future. The only thing that could be an issue is if you greatly upgrade your suspension (EVO DTD) you may need to have them lengthened.

I'll never get the EVO DTD so I'm good. I plan on going to long arms when I switch out axles, which will be Dana 60 front and Sterling 10.5 rear. And I don't plan on going any taller than the 3" I have now

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Lift height and axle housing play a role into the driveshafts. You need different length driveshaft for a d44 with 3" of lift than you would for a pr80 with the same lift.

It's more likely they would need shortened. The shortest length is at full droop. Also, larger axles (D60/D80) would have a longer nose on the differential making the length even shorter.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
It's more likely they would need shortened. The shortest length is at full droop. Also, larger axles (D60/D80) would have a longer nose on the differential making the length even shorter.

Whoops, forgot about the added case length of a 60 or 80. Thanks for the catch.

sheepdog02

Not to hijack, but if staying with the same suspension and upgrading from stock 44 to pro rock 44 would ther be any change in drive shaft length required?

jkwebbie

How hard is it to get drive shafts shortened? Or is it better to just get new ones?

Top Bottom