Axle splines chewed up after re-gear

kferrarini

Re-geared (at shop) a little while back and started leaking diff oil out front passenger side recently. Figured seal was busted. Then I found metal in the oil when I went to change/re-fill after break in. Decided to pull the passenger axle on a whim and saw this...the shop who did the work isn't helping me out, wont warranty parts or labor, what could be the root cause?

Attachments

• 20150822_113430 (1).jpg
    20150822_113430 (1).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 295

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Re-geared (at shop) a little while back and started leaking diff oil out front passenger side recently. Figured seal was busted. Then I found metal in the oil when I went to change/re-fill after break in. Decided to pull the passenger axle on a whim and saw this...the shop who did the work isn't helping me out, wont warranty parts or labor, what could be the root cause?

Welcome to WAL! Sorry to hear about your problem. I am guessing you regeared because of your tire size? Your shaft may have been failing for awhile.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Looks like they set the gears up wrong. Are both sides that fucked up? You could dispute the charges on your credit card.

A.J.

Are there hammer marks on the outer shaft same side? Looks like maybe they didn't get the splines line up and beat it in which could explain the seal leaking. Have you pulled the cover off? Interested to see what the carrier looks like.

kferrarini

Pulled the cover, but didn't take any pics...my mind was kind a jacked over this. Everything inside looked fine, the chewed up axle was a surprise.

That axle was replaced when re-geared, so its not a long term stress issue.

kferrarini

Welcome to WAL! Sorry to hear about your problem. I am guessing you regeared because of your tire size? Your shaft may have been failing for awhile.

Actually I regeared because the front end turned into a grenade out on the way out to the sand dunes. Wasn't even doing anything fun, just chugging along and boom. Having to replace all the internals anyway was the motivation to regear.

kferrarini

Looks like they set the gears up wrong. Are both sides that fucked up? You could dispute the charges on your credit card.

Didn't pull the other side, I was too pissed off. Put it all back together and took my wifes car to go raise hell. I wonder about disputing the charges, its been over a month and paid debit. Those shady bastards got their last dime out of me for sure though.

kferrarini

Are there hammer marks on the outer shaft same side? Looks like maybe they didn't get the splines line up and beat it in which could explain the seal leaking. Have you pulled the cover off? Interested to see what the carrier looks like.

Here is what the carrier looks like. once i dunked it in the solvent tank and got all the metal f-ing shaving from my shaft off it it looks pretty good. other shaft looked good too. the leak on the side of the bad shaft was probably from the plastic axle shaft guide which was wedged between shaft and seal:eek:...seriously...how the shop was sloppy enough to not even clear the tubes before inserting axles and pushing that thing into the seal...seriously screw those tweekers.

Attachments

• 20150823_162717.jpg
    20150823_162717.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 20150823_162834.jpg
    20150823_162834.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 20150823_162839.jpg
    20150823_162839.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 20150823_162846.jpg
    20150823_162846.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 181

kferrarini

after pulling carrier discovred probable culprit. the long tube on the housing (passenger side) is bent up and back. in person it's pretty obvious. what do ya'll think? First pic is from driver side, second from passenger (bent) side. anyway...tera 30 is enroute.

Attachments

• 20150823_161606.jpg
    20150823_161606.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 20150823_161618.jpg
    20150823_161618.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

ScoobyCarolanNC

Eek. That might explain why the spline "wear" is uneven. Seriously though, F those guys for not catching that & buttoning it back up without a word. The old shaft must have looked like hell.

A.J.

Yikes. I can just picture the guy with a big hammer just pounding away all frustrated cause it won't go in! Bang! Bang! Bang! Dumbass.

after pulling carrier discovred probable culprit. the long tube on the housing (passenger side) is bent up and back. in person it's pretty obvious. what do ya'll think? First pic is from driver side, second from passenger (bent) side. anyway...tera 30 is enroute.

Yup, that's the culprit and should've been checked before repair work was done. But why put another D30 in it? Seems like a good time to at least get a good D44 housing.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I think he said tera30 as in teraflex. Gotta be better than a factory 30 or 44 housing, but dont really know. Not a prorock.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I think he said tera30 as in teraflex. Gotta be better than a factory 30 or 44 housing, but dont really know. Not a prorock.

Besides having thicker tubes it's still a 30. But at a hefty price. Personally I would pay a bit more coin for a PR44. The housing alone is only about $500 less than a PR44 housing. :grayno:

Top Bottom