On Board air compressor vs tank style air

SevenSlotSpartan

Hey the Wayalife! So I've been curious as to how the majority of you guys keep air in the jeep? I'm considering the Warn PowerPlant but it's a little out of budget at the moment, but along with that I'm considering an ARB mounted compressor or maybe an air tank that I'll keep on board the JK. Which do you fellas think is the better option? For my usage the powerplant might be overkill but it's a sweet set up that takes multiple parts and turns them into one... Plus I do need a winch!

One more thing! I read through Eddie's ARB compressor write up and noticed a lot of the replies came from a lot of you who have the same or similar set up. Is there a reason for using these compressors over tanks?

Thanks

seanb123

Well the simple answer is compressor never runs out while a tank will. For roughly the price of a power tank you can get a good compressor and you'll never have to pay to fill

Peak

Compressor Pros:
-Unlimited Air
-Small and Compact
-Numerous Mounting Locations

Compressor Cons:
-Not as fast as CO2
-Cannot run tools
-Not as portable as a tank
-Loud depending on mounting location

CO2 Tank Pros:
-Very Fast
-Can be cheap if you make your own
-Very Portable
-Can run tools

CO2 Tank Cons:
-Will eventually run out
-$$$ To fill
-may have to drive a while to fill
-Large

I'm sure I'm missing some pros and cons for both but this should make your decision a little easier.

t8er

I think the above list is correct. I do run a 15lb power tank and have a 10lb tank as a backup. I can say it was nice to be able to air up my 37's in 3 minutes total. Especially since I had to adjust my drag link after the trail.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I was going to do a power tank more for the speed than anything, but didnt want to deal with getting it filled. I have an old scuba tank that I used in my paintball days to fill tanks at home which was nice, but the local shop could fill that for me for cheap. They are now closed so that option went away.

I have the arb dual and I think with a tank that can run tools if needed. I forget the time to fill up my 37s but its not bad at all.

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
If you're considering a compressor set-up, look at the Dominion Off-Road kit that mounts in the engine bay. One summer night here in Texas a few years back, when the daytime temp was about 100 degrees, I tried to air up my 37's using the ARB compressor and I was able to get only 1 done before the compressor overheated and shut down. The Dominion kit uses a Viair compressor that mounts in the front part of the engine bay and I believe a tank elsewhere in the Jeep. It's not a "cheap" option @ $600 but works well.

I have used a portable CO2 tank and it worked really well. Aired up my 37's really quickly and still had enough left over to air up a set of 35's. Not a bad way to go, either.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I like my ARB twin compressor. I fill my 35's up at just over 1min each tire. On multiple occasions I have also helped fill other people's tired as well. I'm sure if I added an air tank to it I could run air tools off of it if needed.

t8er

If you're considering a compressor set-up, look at the Dominion Off-Road kit that mounts in the engine bay. One summer night here in Texas a few years back, when the daytime temp was about 100 degrees, I tried to air up my 37's using the ARB compressor and I was able to get only 1 done before the compressor overheated and shut down. The Dominion kit uses a Viair compressor that mounts in the front part of the engine bay and I believe a tank elsewhere in the Jeep. It's not a "cheap" option @ $600 but works well.

I have used a portable CO2 tank and it worked really well. Aired up my 37's really quickly and still had enough left over to air up a set of 35's. Not a bad way to go, either.

The dominion kit only works with the 3.8 motors.

SevenSlotSpartan

A lot of great info guys!! So I notice a lot of you have or would like to have both the air compressor and a tank, is this because the compressor is convenient for filling tires and things of that nature and the tank is a good backup or at least there if you need to use tools?

Also anyone know what winch the power plant is comparable to? I haven't given it a lot of research so I don't know what the PP is capable of as far as winch speed or pull strength...

But yeah Sh0rtBus I was considering one of the Viair options but on northridge there were so many options I stopped understanding what I was looking at!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The warn powerplant (winch/compressor) runs for about $1250 but it's a good price because you kill two birds with one stone.

This is what I chose to go with on both of my current JK's. I have run an ARB under the hood in the past on one of my other JK's and was happy with it but still prefer the PowerPlant.

thardy

Banned
This is what I chose to go with on both of my current JK's. I have run an ARB under the hood in the past on one of my other JK's and was happy with it but still prefer the PowerPlant.

I assume you use a smaller ARB for the lockers?

Templar

I would love to have a PowerPlant but can't seem to find one for under $1,650. Do they occasionally go on sale for $1,250 or something / any tips on how to get one for that price?

Arizona

Have you run any power tools off the Powerplant itself? Im thinking about adding a spare air tank but I don't know if I need it...

I would love to have a PowerPlant but can't seem to find one for under $1,650. Do they occasionally go on sale for $1,250 or something / any tips on how to get one for that price?

I haven't seen them on sale for a while... I bought mine used from someone on Craigslist here in Phoenix and added the spydura synthetic line. I wouldn't go with anything else!

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Does anyone make a tank that can be filled from an ARB compressor? I know it would be slow but extra air could be helpful.

Top Bottom