Close

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

On Board air compressor vs tank style air

Hey the Wayalife! So I've been curious as to how the majority of you guys keep air in the jeep? I'm considering the Warn PowerPlant but it's a little out of budget at the moment, but along with that I'm considering an ARB mounted compressor or maybe an air tank that I'll keep on board the JK. Which do you fellas think is the better option? For my usage the powerplant might be overkill but it's a sweet set up that takes multiple parts and turns them into one... Plus I do need a winch!

One more thing! I read through Eddie's ARB compressor write up and noticed a lot of the replies came from a lot of you who have the same or similar set up. Is there a reason for using these compressors over tanks?

Thanks

Well the simple answer is compressor never runs out while a tank will. For roughly the price of a power tank you can get a good compressor and you'll never have to pay to fill

Compressor Pros:
    -Unlimited Air
    -Small and Compact
    -Numerous Mounting Locations

Compressor Cons:
    -Not as fast as CO2
    -Cannot run tools
    -Not as portable as a tank
    -Loud depending on mounting location

CO2 Tank Pros:
    -Very Fast
    -Can be cheap if you make your own
    -Very Portable
    -Can run tools

CO2 Tank Cons:
    -Will eventually run out
    -$$$ To fill
    -may have to drive a while to fill
    -Large

I'm sure I'm missing some pros and cons for both but this should make your decision a little easier.

I think the above list is correct. I do run a 15lb power tank and have a 10lb tank as a backup. I can say it was nice to be able to air up my 37's in 3 minutes total. Especially since I had to adjust my drag link after the trail.

I was going to do a power tank more for the speed than anything, but didnt want to deal with getting it filled. I have an old scuba tank that I used in my paintball days to fill tanks at home which was nice, but the local shop could fill that for me for cheap. They are now closed so that option went away.

I have the arb dual and I think with a tank that can run tools if needed. I forget the time to fill up my 37s but its not bad at all.

Knows a Thing or Two bigtrucker52's Avatar
    How much will one of the arb winch/compressors run for?

If you're considering a compressor set-up, look at the Dominion Off-Road kit that mounts in the engine bay. One summer night here in Texas a few years back, when the daytime temp was about 100 degrees, I tried to air up my 37's using the ARB compressor and I was able to get only 1 done before the compressor overheated and shut down. The Dominion kit uses a Viair compressor that mounts in the front part of the engine bay and I believe a tank elsewhere in the Jeep. It's not a "cheap" option @ $600 but works well.

I have used a portable CO2 tank and it worked really well. Aired up my 37's really quickly and still had enough left over to air up a set of 35's. Not a bad way to go, either.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtrucker52 View Post
    How much will one of the arb winch/compressors run for?
    The warn powerplant (winch/compressor) runs for about $1250 but it's a good price because you kill two birds with one stone.
    October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JKS
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assist

I like my ARB twin compressor. I fill my 35's up at just over 1min each tire. On multiple occasions I have also helped fill other people's tired as well. I'm sure if I added an air tank to it I could run air tools off of it if needed.
    October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JKS
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assist

Quote Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
    If you're considering a compressor set-up, look at the Dominion Off-Road kit that mounts in the engine bay. One summer night here in Texas a few years back, when the daytime temp was about 100 degrees, I tried to air up my 37's using the ARB compressor and I was able to get only 1 done before the compressor overheated and shut down. The Dominion kit uses a Viair compressor that mounts in the front part of the engine bay and I believe a tank elsewhere in the Jeep. It's not a "cheap" option @ $600 but works well.

I have used a portable CO2 tank and it worked really well. Aired up my 37's really quickly and still had enough left over to air up a set of 35's. Not a bad way to go, either.
    The dominion kit only works with the 3.8 motors.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast