Crank shaft seal leak

Dopey84

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441299810.170747.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441299831.978701.jpg a few of the pictures.. I just had it serviced and this wasn't here the last time I had it in the shop.. They said it has a water pump leak and the crank seal also has a small leak.. Just curious how easy this is to repair myself as opposed to them and cost... They quote me $129 for the crank seal and $340 for the water pump.. Mind you this is dealership pricing and they say it's about one day's work...

jeeeep

Hooked
it's not difficult but you need a spanner wrench or a strap wrench to keep the water pump pulley from spinning as you remove/tighten the bolts.

IMO for me it's enough of a PIA to let someone else deal with it. call around to some of the local repair shops and get some other quotes.

if the pump has started corroding the bolts, you could end up breaking one off...

seanb123

Never done a crankshaft seal so not sure but the water pump in my opinion is one of the easier fixes on the wrangler with the 3.8. I've done mine twice and both times not to bad. It's right on the front of the motor 6 or 7 bolts. I say give it a shot. You'll be happy you didn't pay 350 when in reality it should cost you no more than 60$

Top Bottom