1997 Cherokee fenders

Helipilot2

Hey guys, I'm looking at trimming up my fenders to give me more clearance for tires. I just want to hear other people's suggestions and ways of doing it. I have 6 inches of lift and I think I am going with 33x12.5x15s for tires

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you hoping to trim your factory fenders or are you wanting to install a new set that are trimmed/more clearance? If the later, there are some good options available.

Helipilot2

Just trimming the factory fenders out, putting primer and paint back on them to keep rust out and then putting just basic rubber flares on to cover the tires due to the fact that I have widened it 2 inches on each side so with a 12.5 tire I will have a ton of tire sticking out

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just trimming the factory fenders out, putting primer and paint back on them to keep rust out and then putting just basic rubber flares on to cover the tires due to the fact that I have widened it 2 inches on each side so with a 12.5 tire I will have a ton of tire sticking out

I think that'll do the trick. Should look good too.

Colorado4Wheeling

Hey guys, I'm looking at trimming up my fenders to give me more clearance for tires. I just want to hear other people's suggestions and ways of doing it. I have 6 inches of lift and I think I am going with 33x12.5x15s for tires

ive got a 1997 xj on 33's with a 6" long arm kit

i first picked up the bushwacker pocket flares but then got rid of them and trimmed the fenders even higher. to clean up the look - i visited ebay and bought a huge roll of door edge gaurd protector in black. anywhere i trimmed - after painting it i laid down the edge gaurd protector trim to get rid of the sharp metal edge. works like a charm!

647_1074002614280_5361_n.jpg

61114_1613108611593_1782877_n.jpg

i can take a close up pic if needed.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Bushwackers flat XJ fenders require you to trim atleast 2" off the sheet metal.

It gives your plenty of clearance for 33's and a 3.5" lift :eek:

my brothers XJ
296132_10150277993828796_941542_n.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
its really looks badass.

two things I do not like about the set up.

Limited uptravel,

If I lived in the salt states I would not do this to my XJ, way to much cutting into the body. He'll be lucky if he has fenders and re quater panels in one or two years:rolleyes2:

Helipilot2

ive got a 1997 xj on 33's with a 6" long arm kit

i first picked up the bushwacker pocket flares but then got rid of them and trimmed the fenders even higher. to clean up the look - i visited ebay and bought a huge roll of door edge gaurd protector in black. anywhere i trimmed - after painting it i laid down the edge gaurd protector trim to get rid of the sharp metal edge. works like a charm!

647_1074002614280_5361_n.jpg

61114_1613108611593_1782877_n.jpg

i can take a close up pic if needed.

That's very similar to what my idea was. How did you go about trimming your rear fenders? There isn't much room to trim without getting into the body

Colorado4Wheeling

That's very similar to what my idea was. How did you go about trimming your rear fenders? There isn't much room to trim without getting into the body

well... nothing pretty about it.
first clean off the crud from insid eof the wheel wells in the rear.
then take a BFH (Big Effin Hammer) and pound the lip inside nice and flat
take a cheap mig welder and tack you way around being careful not top start your interior on fire! (thats a whole nother story).
the spray with underliner from Lowes and you are done.

i did this meathod on both sides and ironically 2 months later got T boned - the body shp actually took a cut off wheel , trimmed it up all propper and welded all 3 panels together - waaay to much work if you ask me. With my pound and tack medthod, you just have to make sure that you do not leave any where that moisture can build up and start to rust.

Colorado4Wheeling

on the front i did the same with the bend and weld method - but i unhooked the battery first so that i did not set off the airbags.! the pinch seam in the fron wheel well will get into your tires if you are flexy with big tires on an XJ.

Helipilot2

Sweet perfect! Looking at buying a wrangler sport or rubicon so we will see what happens. I already have a lot of money tied up in my Cherokee so it's hard to part.

xjryder

to trim out the fender you will use some tape to map out the path you will cut, take a grinder with a cutoff wheel, start at the bottom of the fender trimming about an inch off at a time, turn the wheel till the back of the tire comes in contact to the fender, mark and trim, the tape is also put on so your paint doesnt chip off, to get a radius on the top of the fender take the tape and a pencil and trace around the tape or something with a round edge.
I have personally taken a 35x12.5x15 in Pro comp M/T and fit it in with a 4 inch lift on my 98 XJ with a large amount of trimming in the front as well as the back. If you have any questions PM me, OH ya the seam that runs down the back of your wheel well cut those in 6 inch increments, and beat em down with a BFH( You may have to take the tire off to get good whacks in

tdijet

Up travel is definitely a concern with the flat flares. I'm on 4.5" lift an had to take the flares off before my MTR's did it for me. As it was I still nailed the sheet metal when flexed my last snow run with the fenders cut to fit those flares. You can see the the fender damage I took only 20 minutes before this pic.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363578415.657178.jpg

Up travel is definitely a concern with the flat flares. I'm on 4.5" lift an had to take the flares off before my MTR's did it for me. As it was I still nailed the sheet metal when flexed my last snow run with the fenders cut to fit those flares. You can see the the fender damage I took only 20 minutes before this pic.

View attachment 20186

Hahahha it was great. Well I laughed at least :yep:

travisk

Unless you have narrow wheels, you will probably need to trim the front fenders and bump stop front and rear with 33" tires and 6" lift.

It doesn't really matter how much you trim if you don't have bump stops. At some point, your uptravel will be limited by SOMETHING, and it's better if it's not your fenders or your shocks.

Top Bottom