Electrical problem, maybe?

srosario

second tome it does these to me, yesterday and today.

Yesterday, after work i turned the car on and it starts fine but the dash is off, speedometer, outside temp, lights everything is off, then i hear a ding like a warning light, then 2 seconds later two warning lights, forgot which ones, they were all the way on the left one red one yellow, i flicked the headlight switch on and off and everything started working fine.

Today, after work i turned the car on and it starts fine but the dash was off again with no warning signs no dings, but these time my wipers were on , i flicked the wipers on and off and nothing happened, i flicked the headlights on and off and everything started working fine.

jeff_in_rc

First thing I would do is check all of your batteries connections, take them loose and make sure they are clean and put them back and make sure they are tight. Make sure to follow the ground wire to the frame and or engine and do the same. Don't just look at them, make sure then see how things are.

Mike Chapman

I have had similar issues with my JK. If you search around you'll (Most Likely) find ultimately it'll end up being the TIMP unit. Where all the Electrical connections meet their maker (The Battery). A lot of people say that you'll eventually end up replacing the unit as It's not re-buildable.

On my Jeep, Mud somehow got all over my engine compartment and into the TIMP unit. I had symptoms like what you're discussing. I Very carefully took my TIMP apart. Used a quality Electric Contact Cleaner and cleaned each circuit board of the mud. I put it all back together and it's still working... been about 4 months.

But Before you do that.. Check the battery and the connections.. Make sure they're no water/Mud/etc on the fancy connectors at the TIMP. Disconnect the Battery for 30 minutes or so and see if it clears up on its own. (Electrical Magic but it works for a lot of people).

One last thing to check is the Mutlifunction switch. Search youtube for pointers on doing that, using "Multifunction Switch" in the search will provide plenty of info. IMHO Jeep has a bad issue with TIMP Units.. Should be a recall item.

Good Luck! Whiskey and Coke helps while searching for Electrical Gremlins... Trust me!

If you have anything connected to the main bolt on your battery connections remove it and tighten everything back up. Using this bolt as a terminal connection will (sometimes) not allow i to clamp well on the battery. Good Luck :beer:

jims68

Yes that is your TIPM. From your profile you have a 2010 correct? The 07 and 08's were notorious for this issue. The random wiper operation was a good indicator of problems with TIPM or Totally Integrated Power Module, acronyms can be confusing. Think of this module as the traffic cop of your Can-bus communications for your jeep. Most of the other modules connect to the TIPM. There are two tabs on the side of the TIPM that after releasing you can tip the module to one side and you will see all of the connections. They are sealed connections but can come loose or get dirty. Pull each one off and look at the mating surfaces. If you find a dirty one or there are any signs of moisture most likely this will be your problem child. Don't worry all of them are keyed so they cannot be switched. Make sure you hear a click when re-seating them. You should hear a pop when pulling them also. The seal makes an airtight seal. Last resort would be to pull it apart. There are at least six layers of boards in this module. Get a Renew and Lube type canned air to blow them out also. This will put a light film of contact cleaner and lube in your connections.
Last I checked they were back ordered out several months. Don't take chances with the one you have till you know one can be had. They can be replaced by you and should reload all functions when powered up the first time. When you order one from the dealer he will need your VIN number and the manufacture will pre-load all of your vehicle info also. There is a chance it will not talk then a mechanic needs to get involved. There are good instruction all over if needed also.
Last but most important is dis-connect your battery when doing any of the above. If it is a going bad TIPM it may last a while or die tomorrow. Kind of a craps shoot to be honest but hopefully you find something like a connection. If the odd things persist it is simply a matter of time!

Mike Chapman

Exactly what Jims68 said... Wish there was a magic fix we could tell you about..... but if you're not under warranty... $350-$650 has been the average costs depending on if you do it yourself (Its easy) or have Jeep do it...

srosario

could these be the prob, my headlights daytime running light and the spod is tap into the acc fuse, so i could run them with out turning the headlight on.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441817027.495183.jpg

jims68

I would move these to the battery and externally fuse them. You should be OK but by doing this you have the potential to pull more then what the wire feeding the fuse you tapped into is rated for. What wire did you tap into? By the fender is a stud that is fed by the battery but not fused. That would be another good spot to externally fuse those wires. Any idea what you are pulling for current on these wires combined?

srosario

i have no idea the wattage on the lines, but one is powering the spod style led connection box, it lets it know that the car is on and its safe to tyrn the lights on, and the other line i hooked it up to the daytime running lights on the led headlight, the fuse is the M7 fuse. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441845693.431370.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441845705.904474.jpg

jeff_in_rc

I would move these to the battery and externally fuse them. You should be OK but by doing this you have the potential to pull more then what the wire feeding the fuse you tapped into is rated for. What wire did you tap into? By the fender is a stud that is fed by the battery but not fused. That would be another good spot to externally fuse those wires. Any idea what you are pulling for current on these wires combined?

X2 on this advise, get the power directly from the battery is the best bet and IIRC the SPOD has a low-voltage cut off.

jims68

I see now how you did this and this is exactly how we use to wire in two way radios. But this was before CanBus computerized vehicles. These systems are designed with not a lot of added margin into them so tapping into them can have added issues to your whole system! Example the yellow piece fuse you see is the fuse for your air bag system and is fed off of the same DC voltage buss, the hot side of your tapped fuse, and is one of the main reasons besides the computer systems why we quit tapping into the fuse panels! Why take even a small chance when tapping off of the battery you will not have any issues. I will get a picture of what I used for you.

srosario

I see now how you did this and this is exactly how we use to wire in two way radios. But this was before CanBus computerized vehicles. These systems are designed with not a lot of added margin into them so tapping into them can have added issues to your whole system! Example the yellow piece fuse you see is the fuse for your air bag system and is fed off of the same DC voltage buss, the hot side of your tapped fuse, and is one of the main reasons besides the computer systems why we quit tapping into the fuse panels! Why take even a small chance when tapping off of the battery you will not have any issues. I will get a picture of what I used for you.

ok thanks for the help, so remove that tap, and connect to the battery direct, got it.

how can i wire the daytime running light to turn on wen the vehicle is on automatically if plug direct to battery?

and I'm not sure if that Chinese spod would work properly if i unplug it from the acc fuse, cause it
brought that piece to tap into the box.

jims68

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441938130.947412.jpg

This is how I did my winch and other accessories. If all you need is an ignition sense then you will be OK where you are at. I would fuse it as low as possible. That way if there is an issue it will blow fast. Otherwise you will need to tap into the harness for an ignition sense wire.

Top Bottom