Winch question: Warn VR vs M Series?

bonedaddy

I know another winch thread - but I couldn't find any search results that answered my question...

I have see multiple threads about winches, posts about smittybilt, warn, etc... about the VR series even though it's Warn they subbed out parts to china, but I was wondering about the M series? are these also sub-par like the VR series?

After reading posts and threads I have rethought my original plan of going SB, almost bought a Superwinch at a show a couple weeks back, but I had thought about the Warn VR series, but rethinking that as well... I do agree that safety equipment is not the place to cheap out on, even working with a low budget - We do not always have someone to wheel with and I just do not want to take the chance of being out with the fam and going to use our winch to get us out of a jam and it fail... even though i have a few friends with SB winches that think they are great and have worked flawlessly for the past 5-6 years... hell of a chance to take that we might get a "good one" ...

I thought Superwinch was right up there with Warn? Perhaps I just heard wrong...

Also for the JKU, 8,000 or 10,000 - which would be better?

Per usual, any info will be greatly appreciated...

- Donnie

cmireles

Yes the VR series has parts from China but if I remember correctly the M8000 is 100% made in USA. I have it on my two door so it's plenty strong enough, however you could get away with it on a JKU especially if you use some snatch blocks. That said, a higher load rating warn would have an easier time of course.

DMF

I have the M8000 and only used it once to help a full size truck out of some mud. It did the job. And another time I used it to bend some metal brackets so I'm 2/2 with it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the VR series is made in China. I would recommend that you get an M8000 or better as they are made in the USA.

Wardell

I thought Superwinch was right up there with Warn? Perhaps I just heard wrong...

That was certainly true about 20 years ago when they supported the Camel Trophy competitions, but my personal opinion is that they've really gone down hill since then (which is much the same story with Land Rover too). Part of that is just because they don't seem to have been as innovative as Warn when it comes to their new products, but I also don't have the best impression of them reliability wise. A buddy of mine had his Superwinch fail on him when he was stuck on the trail, and I didn't have my winch mounted yet. Lucky enough I had a tow rope to get him out with, or I'd have had to drive back out to the highway to call for help. I've heard similar stories from other people too.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Waiting for someone to come in and get butt hurt over a winch, but go with a premium warn imo

rabbitdave

I have the M8000 on my jk and have made 12+ pulls in the past 9 months and have no worries about the M failing. Worth the extra $200.

Wethy

Just looking at winches now since this is a warn thread is the zeon made in the U.S.? I know a lot of guys are running them here so I'm guessing yes and are they that much better than the m8000?

olram30

Just looking at winches now since this is a warn thread is the zeon made in the U.S.? I know a lot of guys are running them here so I'm guessing yes and are they that much better than the m8000?

I believe they are.

bonedaddy

As far as the 8000, is that enough pull for the JKU? I know you can snatch block to increase pull, but if the anchor point is to far to snatch will the 8000 pull it out of rocker deep mud?

Also the XD found the 9000 but only steel line... which I could switch later on...

Zeon, just looks so large and would stick up so far on the bumper... but I found a 10,000 S for about $1170 ...

CastleRockJeep

I have a m8000s on my JKU only used once but it did what I needed... Built in the USA was important for me so the extra over the VR series was worth it!

David1tontj

As far as the 8000, is that enough pull for the JKU? I know you can snatch block to increase pull, but if the anchor point is to far to snatch will the 8000 pull it out of rocker deep mud?

Also the XD found the 9000 but only steel line... which I could switch later on...

Zeon, just looks so large and would stick up so far on the bumper... but I found a 10,000 S for about $1170 ...

It totally depends on the wheeling terrain. If you're playing on the rocks, normal trails, or medium mud, then 8000 will be plenty.

When you get into deep, sticky mud, that is, in my opinion, the only time you will really see an 8000 as too small. If you drive a jku, and like to play in deep mud, I would go for a bigger winch.

David1tontj

Forgot to add- Stay away from the vr series.... They are the same Chinese crap as smittybuilt etc.

Here's a good deal on one! Haha

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441860747.089707.jpg

USMC Wrangler

I'm glad this thread came up. Being on a tightish budget I recently decided I'd go with the M8000 for my lightly modded JKU on a budget. My thoughts being on a budget would be to get this for $600 with steel or $850 for synthetic...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441887053.304372.jpg

I see quadratech has the steel version for a little less than Northridge. If someone is really worried about a minor price difference, a smart shopper would find a verified lower price and call their vendor of choice to get a price match. Maybe they would match, maybe they wouldn't, but you know someone has a better price out there if they don't. Just my dos centavos...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441887380.780541.jpg

Last edited:

olram30

I'm glad this thread came up. Being on a tightish budget I recently decided I'd go with the M8000 for my lightly modded JKU on a budget. My thoughts being on a budget would be to get this for $600 with steel or $850 for synthetic...

View attachment 164313

I see quadratech has the steel version for a little less than Northridge. If someone is really worried about a minor price difference, a smart shopper would find a verified lower price and call their vendor of choice to get a price match. Maybe they would match, maybe they wouldn't, but you know someone has a better price out there if they don't. Just my dos centavos...

View attachment 164314

Nr will match and I'd personally go with synthetic line

Rccrwlr

I bought a xd9000 used for like $400. Went through the it and made sure it was clean. Same boat as all in that we want to make sure when we are out and about and we make stupid decisions we are ok.

Note: don't forget your remote

bonedaddy

Seriously considering the M8000-S vs Zeon 10,000-S...

I want to go with the M8,000-S, but kind of feel like it would be the bare minimum we might need and would like a little extra if it might make a different one day... might not, but hey here's to over thinking things per usual... ;)

el_chupo_

Have you considered looking on CL for used ones? I picked up my Powerplant for less than you are looking to spend on the M8000-S, just had a 8hr round trip drive to get it.

Seller had only ever used it for the air, never even tested the winch itself.

At least around me in the DFW area, a large number of people here do things for looks, and never end up using their winches. The deals are out there sometimes.

Searchtempest.com is a site I use for searching multiple cities on CL.

Good luck

Top Bottom