Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspension help please. Axle off center w/ sway bar links being flexed out.

Suspension help please. Axle off center w/ sway bar links being flexed out.

Ok so first a little backstory to this. Was out on a little trail a little while back and I got hung up on a rock that was under some small tree branches/leaves and tore off the passenger side lower control arm bracket. Now at the time I didn't know how badly it was damaged it was driveable (a little off, figured I needed new tie rod ends and alignment). It wasn't until I had it back home and got it up on a lift and saw what I did.

The vehicle is a 2007 JKU with 104,XXX on it so I did the ball joints, front axle u-joints (worn out) and then figured I would go get the alignment looked at. Unfortunately I saw that the control arm bracket had been completely cracked and bent outwards, no bueno.

I purchased some Rock Krawler front lower control arm mounts (RK00396JK) and had them installed along with a TeraFlex FlexArm kit (couldn't beat the price so I went for it, I know some guys hate their stuff but..) So after this was all put back on I noticed something was not right. My sway bar is completely shifted to the passenger side forcing the outwards hitting the front coil springs and also the bump stop rubbing on the spring.

What should I look at to determine what else this needs tie rod? drag link? or could the sway bar just gotten knocked out of place? Forgive my ignorance but suspension work isn't my thing, I would like to learn more however. I am going to bring it back to a suspension place that was recommended to me however I would love to find a starting point before I do that. I have attached several photos, I do not know what specifically one would ask for so I took several. If you need something specific just let me know what you would need a photo of. Any help is greatly appreciated as I did not budget for this additional expense. Many thanks in advance.

IMG_0579.jpg I added white lines so you could see how skewed it is.

IMG_0582.jpg Passenger side

IMG_0585.jpg Driver side

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg Track bar

IMG_0610.jpg Track bar again

IMG_0609.jpg What appears to be the sway bar shifted?

IMG_0613.jpg Passenger side tire out past fender, driver side not even to the fender
    Last edited by Pixel; 09-11-2015 at 02:06 AM. Reason: additional photos
    - '04 TJ (Sold)
    - '07 JKU (Driving me slowly insane)

Could you post a picture of the front of your jeep (street view)? Maybe a side view as well?

I'd bet on a track bar issue since that's what centers your axle, the sway bar is probably in the right spot but the track bar has allowed your axle to move front either being bent or idk what else it could be. I'm no suspension expert but at first thought that what I think of

Banned
    Using a straight edge up against the tire (parallel with the tire), measure the distance between the fender and the straight edge. Go to the other side and compare the dimensions. Let me see if I can find Eddie's write-up.

Banned
    Read through this and see if any of it can help.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...ll=1#post42377

Also, if you get the measurements, and it's off, it pretty much means you have an issue with the track bar.

Quote Originally Posted by JudeinPa View Post
    Could you post a picture of the front of your jeep (street view)? Maybe a side view as well?
    I was able to get a decent front shot but I don't have enough room for the side at the moment and it there is nonstop rain outside at the moment.
    - '04 TJ (Sold)
    - '07 JKU (Driving me slowly insane)

-
    I would think that almost has to be a trackbar issue

Banned
    Based on what I see, the track bar is off center. It appears as if you have an adjustable track bar already? If so, follow Eddie's write-up on making the adjustment and you should see it make the correction.

Your sway bar is shifted because your axle shifted. Once you correct the axle shift, that should correct the sway bar. I would also check all of your control arms and bushings to make sure something didn't bend or break during the impact. And as others have said, track bar very possible.

^ Also just noticed. Did your RF bottom coil spring perch shift? It looks like the actual perch shifted from the photo. It may just be optical, but I just noticed that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast