CJ5 seems to be running hot

Helipilot2

Hey guys I am not familiar with something like this and want your opinion. I have a 75 CJ5 304 V8 that at about 50mph sits around 200 degrees and and 1st gear tooling around 210-225. Has a new thermostat, fluid is good, fan is direct drive and always running. It doesn't have a fan shroud, I am trying to locate one. Is this typical temperature for this type of vehicle in this kind of heat or is it running a little on the high side? The thermostat is a 180 degree thermostat.

ITLL GO

That seems about right. After my 79 CJ5 warms up its about 210-220. I also have a 304 with new radiator and water pump. Doesn't seem hot at all. But I don't know. Awesome rig! Love seeing cj's on the road!

Helipilot2

That seems about right. After my 79 CJ5 warms up its about 210-220. I also have a 304 with new radiator and water pump. Doesn't seem hot at all. But I don't know. Awesome rig! Love seeing cj's on the road!

Awesome thanks for the input, my next step was going to be to replace radiator and water pump but if your'e saying that's about normal then I wont mess with it!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that sounds about right. You should be fine but I would recommend finding a fan shroud if you can.

holliewood61

Mine ran about the same when I was using the factory mechanical fan. If it worries you then you can hit the scrap yards and find dual electric fans from a ford contour. They literally fit the radiator like they were made for it.

Top Bottom