Brakes, and rotor upgrade, which brand is good or best

Bamtool

I need to get some new rotors and and thinking maybe calipers, was going to just replace with OEM rotors but figured I'd ask the Jeep experts.
What Brand, is good, are rotors and calipers nessasary? Crossed drilled slotted ? Thanks for the advice in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hands down, the Dynatrac ProGrip is what you want. Trust me, I have tested them out and compared them to other kits like the TeraFlex brake kit and it still works better.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Dose the big brake kit fit with a 17" rim?

Yes. Only 17" or larger.

I 2nd Eddie on this. I had the TeraFlex big Brake kit and then put on the Dynatrc ProGrip brakes.
The TF was an improvement over stock, but the Dynatrac was noticeably better than the TF big brake. If you consider that you get pads with 4 rotors it's a good price too

jeeeep

Hooked
I run the dynatrac brakes with 37s, prior to these I ran powerstop cross/slotted with ceramic pads with my 35s

the powerstop were a big improvement over stock especially when towing a trailer.

The dyntracs with 37s are a even bigger improvement, they stop much better than the powerstop with 35s

If you have the budget I'd get dynatrac no need to upgrade the calipers, just make sure your wheels have 17" clearance as some wheels start at 17 but then get thicker and reduce in clearance.

Totally sucks getting all 4 brakes changed out only to find out the wheels won't clear by about an 1/8", then having to remove them and reinstall the stock brakes...ask me how I know :doh:

IgotaWoody39

I run the dynatrac brakes with 37s, prior to these I ran powerstop cross/slotted with ceramic pads with my 35s

the powerstop were a big improvement over stock especially when towing a trailer.

The dyntracs with 37s are a even bigger improvement, they stop much better than the powerstop with 35s

If you have the budget I'd get dynatrac no need to upgrade the calipers, just make sure your wheels have 17" clearance as some wheels start at 17 but then get thicker and reduce in clearance.

Totally sucks getting all 4 brakes changed out only to find out the wheels won't clear by about an 1/8", then having to remove them and reinstall the stock brakes...ask me how I know :doh:
dont forgrt Rebrl offroad's drilled & slotted rotors,,,bigger than stock, American iron, made in the USA,,,, upgraded pads/ larger rotors,,,just about $ 525 for the 4 corners...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
dont forgrt Rebrl offroad's drilled & slotted rotors,,,bigger than stock, American iron, made in the USA,,,, upgraded pads/ larger rotors,,,just about $ 525 for the 4 corners...

LOL!! If I really thought it worked better then the Dyantrac ProGrip, I would have mentioned it.

JAGS

Hooked

LOL!! If I really thought it worked better then the Dyantrac ProGrip, I would have mentioned it.

Maybe they were throwing it out there as a "good" option??? Lol.

I couldn't possibly see how that set up could even remotely compare to the Dynatrac System. Not to mention I'd much prefer to buy an axle component from an expert axle company. I'm guessing Rebel doesn't even "make" that kit.

jeeeep

Hooked
But dollar for dollar would they be remotely worth the upgrade?

It is nearly half the price of the dynatrac setup

If you want better than stock braking power with 35's they would be fine, no different than the Powerstop brand (may be the same manufacturer). I replaced my stock brakes on my 2010 JKU within 6 months after hauling a trailer and realizing I had no stopping power with my 35's. they worked great all around and I never felt brake fade coming out of the canyon/mountain roads, etc... on the trail depended on how steep and where I was wheeling. I had a few pucker factors after a day of lots of brake /steep incline wheeling and hairpin turns.

I ordered and put on the Dynatracs for my 2010 as soon as they became available then upgraded to ATX and 37's on a PR44...the difference in stopping power is noticeable. I expected to have to allow some distance for braking but they stop so easily with no extra effort. I can drive my stock 2015 then jump into my 2010 with the Dynatracs and not have to change how I brake, so if you have the budget for Dynatrac do it once.

I had them in Moab during the last EJS and forgot I had 37's, braking was never an issue.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
But dollar for dollar would they be remotely worth the upgrade?

It is nearly half the price of the dynatrac setup

Depends if you're cool with spending over $500 for marginally better brakes when you could spend a few hundred more to get significantly better braking performance.

If you want better than stock braking power with 35's they would be fine, no different than the Powerstop brand (may be the same manufacturer). I replaced my stock brakes on my 2010 JKU within 6 months after hauling a trailer and realizing I had no stopping power with my 35's. they worked great all around and I never felt brake fade coming out of the canyon/mountain roads, etc... on the trail depended on how steep and where I was wheeling. I had a few pucker factors after a day of lots of brake /steep incline wheeling and hairpin turns.

I ordered and put on the Dynatracs for my 2010 as soon as they became available then upgraded to ATX and 37's on a PR44...the difference in stopping power is noticeable. I expected to have to allow some distance for braking but they stop so easily with no extra effort. I can drive my stock 2015 then jump into my 2010 with the Dynatracs and not have to change how I brake, so if you have the budget for Dynatrac do it once.

I had them in Moab during the last EJS and forgot I had 37's, braking was never an issue.

Well said - that about sums it up. It wouldn't surprise me if they are the same manufacturer.

jkuone

I just recently installed the PowerStop Extreme Z36 rotors and pads on my 13' JKU front and Rear.
I'm running 35" tires and the Jeep is a little heavy , steel bumpers winch, and Armor, ETC. 5480 lbs.
That said there is a noticeable improvement in braking with the PowerStop brakes. If I had the extra cash
I'd definitely go with the Dynatrac Progrip system though.

JakeJK

Depends if you're cool with spending over $500 for marginally better brakes when you could spend a few hundred more to get significantly better braking performance.

Well said - that about sums it up. It wouldn't surprise me if they are the same manufacturer.

I guess I'll just have too see once I get my 35s if large improvement is needed or if a marginally better one would suffice, that being said 37s are probably never going to be implicated on my rig mostly because it's a DD and there are a lot of additions that need to be made to efficiently run 37s without ripping the front end out of my sport haha.

JakeJK

So the braking power is still greater than the powerstop even with the 37s? That is a great selling point haha although 37s aren't in my future the braking power would be nice. Thanks for the replies you guys

jeeeep

Hooked
So the braking power is still greater than the powerstop even with the 37s? That is a great selling point haha although 37s aren't in my future the braking power would be nice. Thanks for the replies you guys

yeah, the braking power is awesome

Top Bottom