Dynatrac JK Heavy Duty Ball Joint Installation Tool Kit

dwvninety

So I purchased the Dynatrac Prosteer JK ball joints as recommended by Eddie in various post. Is the Dynatrac Heavy Duty Ball Joint Installation Tool Kit needed to install these correctly? For only $10 I thought it might be wise to get one. Anyone install these without the tool kit?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
So I purchased the Dynatrac Prosteer JK ball joints as recommended by Eddie in various post. Is the Dynatrac Heavy Duty Ball Joint Installation Tool Kit needed to install these correctly? For only $10 I thought it might be wise to get one. Anyone install these without the tool kit?

When I installed mine, I used their install kit. It really made sure the press was pushing on the correct part of the ball joint housing. That said, I also had the correct Dana adapter kit for my press and I *think* it would have worked well without the adapters too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, so long as you have the correct Chrysler adapter for your press, you should be fine. If you don't, that's what the $10 tool is for and it will help out a lot.

USMC Wrangler

Super thread revival!

I have had this press kit for awhile now, the Dynatrac install kit and anti-seize. Can anyone confirm if I’ll need anything else to install ProSteers besides time and patience?

WJCO

Meme King
Either buy or make an angled adapter for installing the upper ball joint. The way that the C is shaped, it angles upward on the inside. You can use a regular flat adapter, but you'll have to jam a piece of metal spacer on the outboard edge or the press will keep falling off or pressing unevenly. Just get the angled adapter, way easier.

Oh, and soak everything on the vehicle in penetrant oil hours prior to doing the job: ball joints, Cs, unit bearing bolts, etc.

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

So I looked through the kit to confirm first but none the adapters are angled. I did find one at a local store but no one could tell me how to orient the angled portion.

Is it pretty obvious when setting it up or can someone explain to me which direction the thicker or thinner side points?

WJCO

Meme King
So I looked through the kit to confirm first but none the adapters are angled. I did find one at a local store but no one could tell me how to orient the angled portion.

Is it pretty obvious when setting it up or can someone explain to me which direction the thicker or thinner side points?

The issue for the upper joint is that the top of the C is flat, whereas the lower part of the upper C is angled. See the lines below. If you used a regular flat symmetrical adapter, the force is transferred unevenly. You have to have some way to support the lower part at a different angle in order to get the upper ball joint to go in straight. Basically, you want the tallest part of the adapter on the outboard-most edge.

DSC01782.jpg

I built an adapter and it got the job done, but realistically, I need to re-cut it even steeper to work easier. On the very most outboard side, you could stack washers or metal stock to fill the gap, but it's kind of a pain in the ass, I've done it.

DSC01783.jpg

Sucky way to do it (picture from internet):

sss.jpg

If you choose to do it this way, you have to make sure the washer/metal bar isn't inserted too deep or the ball joint will hit it while you're pressing it in.

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

its obvious

Thanks!

The issue for the upper joint is that the top of the C is flat, whereas the lower part of the upper C is angled. See the lines below. If you used a regular flat symmetrical adapter, the force is transferred unevenly. You have to have some way to support the lower part at a different angle in order to get the upper ball joint to go in straight. Basically, you want the tallest part of the adapter on the outboard-most edge.

View attachment 319072

I built an adapter and it got the job done, but realistically, I need to re-cut it even steeper to work easier. On the very most outboard side, you could stack washers or metal stock to fill the gap, but it's kind of a pain in the ass, I've done it.

View attachment 319073

Sucky way to do it (picture from internet):

View attachment 319075

If you choose to do it this way, you have to make sure the washer/metal bar isn't inserted too deep or the ball joint will hit it while you're pressing it in.

Very cool! Us Jarheads do better with pictures! Makes sense. The one I bought said is was a Jeep/Dodge adapter angled specifically for those makes.

If it helps you or anyone else making one, I’ll post up the angle of mine. Assuming it works as intended. That will likely be a few days before I have time to take the measurement.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

It’s a pain in the ass to get the right one. I’ve literally done like 6 sets on my jeep and still can’t figure out which order the adaptors go in I usually figure it out but then forget when I get to the other side. You’ll figure it out if you play with it, like sex.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

It’s a pain in the ass to get the right one. I’ve literally done like 6 sets on my jeep and still can’t figure out which order the adaptors go in I usually figure it out but then forget when I get to the other side. You’ll figure it out if you play with it, like sex.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You just made ball joint replacement sound great!

USMC Wrangler

Please do. I plan on re-cutting mine to be better.

Looks like it’s between 4-4.5 degrees. I’ll confirm this angle is correct this weekend when I have sex with my...I mean change my ball joints.

Edit: I forgot the pictures

IMG_6923.jpg

IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6924.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom